“Clean, modern and friendly business-style hotel”

Park Inn by Radisson San Jose
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 2 January 2015

I stayed at the Park Inn by Radisson at the end of a wonderful three week holiday in Costa Rica. I had been staying in very basic hotels on the coast so decided to spend a bit more money on my last few nights in the country's capital before my flight home, and I'm glad I did because, sadly, the hotel was the only good thing about my stay San Jose.

I booked through expedia and paid about $70/night for a king room, however it was the 'off season'. It was an amazing price for such a nice room and hotel.

The hotel has a very 'business' feel about it. It is very clean, modern and the room I had was huge. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I had a room on one of the higher floors and the view out the window to the north over the city was amazing.

The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is due to the breakfast offering (adequate but uninspiring) and the location. It's a nice suburban area, but about 25 mins walk to the centre, and not many attractions or restaurants are close by except for the usual fast food chains out on the main road. It is close to the main park, which is underwhelming. I did walk around the area by myself at night and felt quite safe but solo female travellers should be careful. There are a couple of good supermarkets close by for snacks.

The staff I dealt with on the front desk were very nice and helpful as were the breakfast staff. The room service food was quite pricey but good and very prompt. I didn't use the other facilities such as pool or gym, but had a quick look and they looked good. There was a separate tours desk, but I did not use them.

A warning to other travellers coming here by cab.... cab drivers in SJ are complete sharks. There is another hotel on the other side of town just called the 'Radisson'. Despite telling my driver about this, giving him the correct address AND a map, he took me to the wrong one. Even though the cab ride was only 20 mins from the bus station, he tried to blame it on me for giving him the wrong directions, and tried to charge me 30,000CRC ($60).. When I said I would only pay him the pre-agreed 10,000CRC ($20) he became extremely abusive, and had we not been parked in front of the Park Inn and the ParkInn staff being right there watching, we would have been in a fight. Beware, and make sure you point out that you do NOT want to go to the main Radisson in San Gabriel district.

The hotel is comparable to any 4* business hotel in the US or Australia and less than half the price. If, heaven forbid, I ever end up in San Jose again, I'll definitely be staying here.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Craig H
Write a ReviewReviews (1 424)

514 - 518 of 1 424 reviews

Reviewed 31 December 2014

The Park Inn was a good choice for a brief visit to SAN JOSE. That is all you need ---a brief visit.
San Jose is a city in decline and no longer what is once was. We were disappointed in the state of the city -- the dirt and pollution.
The hotel itself is a bit far from the city center and has limited restaurants nearby --A PIZZA HUT about three blocks away but that is it.

The hotel was clean and the room ample in size. The gym needs more machines and the breakfast needs to be upgraded a bit. The same choices day after day.

ONLY stay in San Jose if necessary. Choose hotels in Escazu or nearby suburbs.

A decent choice for a city that leaves a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a top floor.
Reviewed 30 December 2014

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
Reviewed 27 December 2014

We came for vacation. It was clean and comfortable and the folks at the front desk got dinner reservations for us. They also always got us cabs. Breakfast was not fancy but was good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed 25 December 2014

I came here with my family on a 7 day trip to see the wonders of the so-called ¨gem¨ of Latin America. As a person who has traveled around Latin America quite alot, who has been pleasantly suprised with some of the other cities in this region of the world, this has been my worst experince in a city in quite awhile. The hotel itself is extremly modern, with WiFi, spacious rooms, great sevice, and great overall amenities. My only real qualms with the hotel would be the shower, which is too modern for its own good, and the breakfast, which left much to be desired. My real problem is with the city itself. On arrival, me and my family decided to take a stroll through Dowtown San Jose, which is very conviently located. We were shocked to see how grimy and run down the city appeared. My family, being one that loves to take risks and travel to the more dangerous parts of Latin America such as Nicaragua, Guatemala and El Salvador, was visibly shaken for the first time. There were people following us, hawkers and panhandlers, decrepit buildings everwhere, with the polution absolutely horrible. One of the more jarring experinces from the trip was when we saw a burly man, clearly a tourist, go up to a young girl, no more then 10, and visibly say ´´How much.´´One of the things most liked about this hotel is its close proximity to the city center. As far as my experince goes, that would be its biggest downfall. If you are coming to Costa Rica, STAY AWAY FROM THE CITY. This country is very beautiful, and your experince should not be ruined by a horrible capital city.

Room Tip: Don´t bother coming to the city. If you ABOSTULTEY need to come to this city. This a great place to...
3  Thank InwoodTraveler