Hotel Casa Roland San Jose
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
Great 4.5/5
Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu(San Rafael de Escazu)
Very Good 4/5
Apartotel & Suites Villas del Rio(San Rafael de Escazu)
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsan art galleryresidential neighborhoodcosta ricanever felt unsafewe arrived late at nightspoke englishflight homebreakfast includedgreat place to stayvery nice hotelclean roomspavasazafranairportfurnishingsdowntowntaxi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2017

We stayed at the hotel when we had to renew our passports at the US Embassy - the Embassy is a short drive - could be walked but a bit of a walk. The hotel was unique and comfortable. Staff was friendly, breakfasts were filling, room was comfortable. Unusual layout inside and many paintings on the walls - interesting just to walk around the hotel. Gated parking lot close by and a good restaurant next door (appeared to be owned by the same owners.) Area felt safe during the day but may not be wise to wander to far by foot at night. (No longer has a "hot tub".)

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

This hotel had a fantastic staff who saw to it that we got food from a local place when we arrived late at night. We were surrounded by four women who were delightful and helpful.
The place is eclectic, charming, intricate, and intimate. We had a bedroom that shared a living room, kitchen and more with two other rooms. The place is as richly decorated as the staff was helpful.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed here one night prior to flying home the next day, so our experience was based on arriving in the late afternoon/early evening and leaving early the next day

First I will say that the staff were all very nice and helpful, so no complaints at all with them.
The room we got was well appointed and nice with reasonable decor (as opposed to the lobby which was a bit odd - see below). You could hear some street noise through the window, but it wasn't to a problematic extent.

One of the things that made us feel less than comfortable here was that it didn't feel like a very nice neighborhood. The staff very considerately insisted on locking cars up in a fenced-in enclosure across the street, but it felt like the kind of neighborhood where that was necessary. We had pictured the hotel as being in a cute neighborhood and it definitely didn't feel like that.

The other thing that felt a bit strange and uncomfortable was that there were 3 large paintings of women wearing nothing but a drape in the lobby which, coupled with the slightly gaudy funky decor, gave it a bit of a bordello feel (my 15 yo daughter actually asked in a whisper why there were so many pictures of naked women in the lobby, and I triple checked to make sure we were really in the right place before checking in).

The final thing I was surprised by was the fact that the hotel didn't have a water filter so drinking water out of the sink wasn't safe. Given that the hotels we stayed in in Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio all had filters, so the water was safe, I was surprised that a hotel in the capital didn't.

So I wouldn't recommend it and I would personally stay somewhere else next time (the Marriott is much closer to the airport and car rental drop off locations, and had a good coffee bar. I'm more of a cute funky hotel than Marriott type, but I would probably book the Marriott if I were going to do it over). The staff and rooms themselves were nice so perhaps it just wasn't our cup of tea (it seems like many other people in this site seemed to like it, though I can see some reviews that are similar to our impression too)

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank Katasmith
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by this unique and beautifully decorated hotel. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Price is reasonable. Breakfast is tasty and made to order. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2017

The room we got was nice. Clean and with a lot of space. The personal very helpful and there is a parking cross over the street.

The beg were big (2 king size) and, I has said, the room was clean. Very comfortable

Room Tip: The room we got was not so quite due we could hear people talking and go outside the room. There was windows either.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple