“Good hotel to stay in San Jose”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 11 December 2017

The hotel's superior room is clean and has good Wi-Fi. The staffs are friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is good but it is the same everyday. Would have been nice if at least 2 or 3 breakfast dishes are different each day. The hotel is close to shopping stores and supermarket.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Alessandra G, Guest Relations Manager at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Thank you for your review and your suggestions. Glad you had a positive experience. We look forward to hosting you soon again.

Best regards,

Alessandra

Write a ReviewReviews (1 390)

15 - 19 of 1 390 reviews

Reviewed 11 December 2017

The room we received was not what was advertised on the web. It was old dated and fairly dirty. When we complained to the front desk there was a lot of Spanish tsk back and forth between employees (including laughter) and then the manager said nothing was available and tonheck back tomorrow. We followed up the next morning and did get another room but they are still not as modern and clean as advertised. The location is great though so if you are not as picky in terms of room it was a good value for location.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Harris W
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Hotel reception employees were very helpful. Standard room did not have a viewing window though. Room, bed and bathroom were clean. Hot water during morning shower was irregular.A/C worked fine. Breakfast were very satisfactory with Costa Rican and American choices available. Coffee maker was provided immediately in room when requested. We stayed four days and enjoyed the location. Tour packages were booked immediately by reception employees as I requested.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alessandra G, Guest Relations Manager at Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience here in TripAdvisor. Glad we were of service and that your stay was pleasant. We look forward to hosting you soon again.

Best regards,

Alessandra

Reviewed 5 December 2017

Very pleased with security, restaurant, staff, room (except for hot water problem and fairly uncomfortable bed). We stayed for one week and would return if not for the water issue. Definitely a quality hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2017

Pros:
- The location is perfect, right on the main street, cars are not allowed to drive on it for about 6-7 blocks and full of police and shops.
- I had asked for an extra bed and one was placed in the room.

Cons:
- We were five & rented suite 309 for the week; however, the problems started there -- room 309 does not exist, it's 300 but the reception desk didn't mention the change & we were going back & forth looking for the number. My nephew w/his wife went to reception desk and they were told it was room 300.
- Air conditioning did not work for 2 days.
- Two days without water & they only let us know the last time, by putting a note under the table early am that we were not going to have water after 10:30 a.m. -- imagine five people scrambling to take a shower then.
- Towels were stained and dirty. Did they clean the floor with them?
- Room keys had to be reprogrammed every other day
- No washcloths were given, bring your own. I asked twice for washcloth and I got them, but when I stopped asking they didn't put any.
- We were five in the suite but they only provided four sets of towels, was the fifth person to re-use one of the already used towels?
- When checking in the first night, I was told in the reception desk that the room came with five complimentary bottles of water, but that at the moment they didn't have them and to ask for them in the morning. Three mornings we asked for them but they didn't have the bottles. Finally the morning we were checking out to go to the airport, they brought the bottles. Did they expect me to leave them behind? I gave them to a poor soul down the street.
- Their garage door isn't opened past a certain hour and returning to the hotel one night after at 10 pm there was no one available to open the door. I had to wait ten minutes in a quiet, eerie street for the guy to open the door.
- I sent my dirty clothes to the laundry and I didn't get them back for three days, the laundry room didn't call me either. When I asked I was told that they were in the reception desk because I didn't have open credit? I went to reception to find out about my clothes, I spoke with Rachel who was not a supervisor or manager as I requested but said she could help me. Rached started looking-reading some papers rather than listening to me as I'm explaining to her the unpleasantness with the room, and their service, asking from time to time if she was listening to me it was obvious she wasn't, Rachel told me I was being disrespe

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family