All reviews costa rica air conditioning nice pool common areas restaurant staff pool area is stayed here for nights hot shower clean rooms would stay here again superior room central america convenient location rice and beans taxi supermarket corridor
Reviewed 12 March 2017

My husband and I booked this hotel for the first leg of our honeymoon very last minute when our AirBnB canceled on us. It was the only halfway decent hotel in San Jose with any availability so it wasn’t much of a choice.

The hotel is in a safe neighborhood that is walking distance to downtown, a large park, and several shops and restaurants, yet it is not in a touristy area surrounded by Hard Rock Cafe and the like. So, a great location.

We were impressed when we walked in and everything seemed modern and comfortable, and there was a lovely garden patio at the entrance. The hotel staff greeted us warmly and sent us to our room, #113.

That is when the problems started. Room #113 was by far the worst hotel accommodation I have ever experienced, and I have stayed in some REALLY cheap hostels in Europe. It smelled musty and gross, like a wet basement. The floor was sticky, and the shower head was covered and dust (and too short for my 6’1 husband by a lot). The window has made of slats that didn’t close all the way, which wouldn’t have mattered that much but it was right next to a doggy daycare, so loud dog barking was constant. There also seemed to be some construction or something nearby because there was a loud, persistent buzzing sound. The “view” out the window was a cement wall, which I literally could have reached my hand out and touched because it was so close. It goes without saying that it was very dark. The room was sparsely furnished and the walls were filthy. It was just really, really terrible.

My husband and I took showers and he decided to go ask the front desk if they had a better room we could switch into, even for just a portion of our trip. I told him to tell the staff it was our honeymoon in hopes they would have sympathy on us. Thankfully, they switched us to a different room on the second floor, #216.

The difference was night and day. We were delighted. The room had a real window that looked over the city and the garden patio, and it was properly furnished and even had art on the walls. We couldn’t hear the dogs or the construction, and there was also no smell. The bar was pretty low for us at this point.

After a few days in that room however, we started to notice the mold on the ceiling of the bathroom and in the shower, the dirty bedding, the filthy walls, etc (see photos). The lounge chairs by the pool were also super gross.

The restaurant was tasty but over priced, and the free breakfast was actually really good! The complimentary “sangria” was basically just cranberry juice, so don’t bother (and don’t try to use it for something other than sangria). We also ordered a margarita at one point, which was $9 and didn’t seem to have any alcohol in it. The pool area and restaurant was set in an interior patio that was set away from the street, which was nice.

The hotel staff were helpful and accommodating, and helped us arrange a nice tour. Though they did say a taxi from the airport would be $28 USD, but it was more like $60.

I just wish the hotel were cleaner. Seriously, a coat of paint would have made a world of difference. All in all we probably wouldn’t stay here again, but we were thankful that something was available last minute so we weren’t homeless for the first portion of our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Second floor, west side
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swilkins86
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Although it apoeared to be a great value, I would have preferred to pay more .
Hindsight is eye opening.
Staff was accomodating. I was given my room card, hailed luggae upstairs( no elevators) only to find a dirty undoned room. In addition, the walls are stained, bery outdated and sad looking room.
Called reception and they moved me to a different room. The new room was an improvement but the entire place just seemed messy amd odd. There was old furniture just left next to my door and all the walls were chipped and there was the overall feeling that the place is coming apart.

You can probably find better place to just sleep for same price.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 19 February 2017

We spent a few nights here at the beginning of our trip to Costa Rica. The hotel was great, very clean, and the staff were very friendly. The provided breakfast was typical Costa Rican breakfast which is nice to be able to experience the culture. The pool area was beautiful as well. The hotel was in a pretty good location, close to dining and central for cabs and pick ups for tours. However, it is right next to a dog hotel and our room was on the same side of this so there were dogs barking pretty constantly. We did have our windows closed but was impossible to completely block it out. Otherwise, absolutely no complaints about this place! Would definitely recommend

Room Tip: If possible, maybe ask for a room on the side of the hotel opposite the dog hotel
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I spent 2 nights in the hotel. There is a dog hotel right next door. I was up all night listening to dogs barking. The hotel is nice, relatively modern and updated but don't count on getting a good night sleep

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

This hotel was a great value. We felt that it was in a great location, right between downtown and our favorite area in Escazu. The rooms were clean, but had no AC. At first we were a bit nervous, but San Jose cools down at night, and we were just fine. Great breakfast as well. Recommended!

Stayed: May 2016