All reviewsstairway to heavenmonkey houseblue butterflyhis wifehappy hourscarlet macawsother guestscosta ricaosa peninsulacorcovado national parktiki hutopen airmonkey roomsoupsbeach bungalowfrog tourshady lane
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I planned this trip with my daughter and had two friends add on late in the trip. We stayed Dec 30th - Jan 3rd. Terry and his Lodge lived up to all of my expectations. His sense of humor fit our group perfectly. His employee's and volunteers were friendly and welcoming. The grounds are beautifully manicured with abundant wildlife. We were in wildlife heaven. The food was good, home style food. I feel you would be cheating yourself to stay any less than 3 days and 4-5 days ideal. We stayed in the Monkey House (has to have the best ocean view of any of the rooms) and my friends stayed in the Blue Butterfly. I had so many questions going in that I will list some points of interest below:
- I drove here from Puerto Jimanez and found the river crossings fun and the drive a good adventure. We saw a sloth and some monkeys near the road on the drive. We had a rented 4 x 4. It took us an hour and a half to get there and only an hour to return with braver driving. It's not mountain driving from Puerto Jimanez, but is going into Puerto Jimanez.
- no one got any food sickness here or in Costa Rica
- People generally wake early here and turn in early.
- There are 80-90 steps up from beach level to the first level of the lodge
- There are 45 steps up first level of the lodge to the Blue butterfly and monkey room.
- Our entire group handled the steps fine. They are not steep and if needed take a break.
- The beer is cold and the mixed drinks good!
- The toilets are all American flush toilets
- The showers are cool, but refreshing
- We did not find it hot at night while visiting. I never used the fan and found in the tree houses a nice breeze off the ocean. My friend even asked for a thicker sheet. Lots of shade while sitting in the lodge area. The only times we were sweating was sitting in the sun or hiking.
- I brought bug spray but never used it. I'd see far more bugs on an evening out in Southern Ontario in the summer than I saw on the entire trip. The few bug bites we did receive we believe were at the beach or lagoon.
- We saw no snakes, although I wouldn't have minded.
- While we were there coffee was at 6am, breakfast 7:30, Lunch between 12-12:30 and dinner at 6:30. We were never hungry and appreciated the freshly popped popcorn at happy hour around 5pm when people gather near the bar to share the day's stories. Breakfast included eggs, a meat, pancakes and/or French toast, pinapple, papaya, rice and beans, etc. Lunch varied - I remember mains of pizza and pasta. Dinner had bread, soup, salad, sides and a main meat which changed - chicken, beef, pork, shrimp while we were there. Food is often reinvented from leftovers as expected and well done.
- The jungle noises were not as loud at night as I was expecting having stayed in previous rain forests. The sound of the ocean though was ever present and for me it lulled me to sleep. For a few people not use to it I'd suggest bring ear plugs.
- The pool is small, but lovely. My daughter played in it for hours.
- The beach is black sand. Amazing seeing all the turtle nests on it. A wonderful bonus helping to release baby turtles at the sanctuary. Ocean is rough and we did not swim.
- Animals we saw just at the lodge included: toucans (my favourite), scarlet macaws, endless other birds, squirrel monkeys, capuchins, coati, agouti, frogs, iguana, other small lizards.
- Shady lane walk to waterfall: be certain to get good directions. There are 4 shallow river/stream crossings on the way there. The Shady lane part is easy and flat. We saw howler monkeys and spider monkeys here. There are numerous butterflies as well near the elementary school. Once entering stream area the path is very narrow and challenging in the sense it is up and down a bit and slippery, but doable. The waterfall is tall with a very small plunge pool. You can see Blue Morpho butterflies here. We also saw a small orange frog
- The monkey trail is flat, but again, get good directions. We saw capuchins here they day that we went along with a few lizards.
- We did the horseback ride. We enjoyed it but the owner/operator spoke no English. I had minimal Spanish which came in handy. This is not a ride for first time children. My daughter and I both have been on horses a few dozen times and it was fine. But unlike a typical American trail ride, the horses were not lined up head to tail in an order they must follow. The guide worked from the rear to redirect us if needed. The horse would automatically go into a trot at times. This was fine for us with experience. The horses were gentle and well mannered and looked in decent condition. But I don't think a child the first time on a horse should trot.
- We canoed and kayaked the lagoon. This is more of a sit and watch the wildlife than an action canoe. There were no life jackets provided so not a trip for a non-swimmer or small child. We saw many birds and a few caiman (small crocodiles). You do need to walk up a shallow river to get to the kayaks so wear appropriate footwear. My daughter had on flip flops and I ended up letting her ride piggyback part way.
- We decided not to do the Corcovado park tour as we love nature more than actual hiking and we heard it was a long day. Those that went and like to hike loved it. It was long and hot for some people. They did see some poison arrow frogs and an anteater which we did not see at the lodge during our stay.

If you have questions feel free to ask me. We had an amazing adventure through Costa Rica, and our stay here was the highlight for me. If I get back to CR, I will visit again. Thanks Terry and Staff!

Room Tip: Monkey Room has the best view, sleeps possibly 6 I think. Nice night breeze in January.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank laluna31
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

holly cow this is a monster review thanks i will keep this shorter we all thank you 4 for visiting us here at the famous lookout inn those monkeys still all over the place and scarlet macaws visiting us daily toooo thanks u again.. dont forget to come back some day love to all terr and the team

Reviewed 8 January 2018

This was our fourth trip to Costa Rica and the Lookout Inn became one of our favorites.
First, Luis picked us up at the airport. He was extremely careful and most helpful. In fact, we "booked" him for additional transportation on two occasions after leaving the Lookout Inn.
Upon checking in, we became part of a party-like atmosphere. It seemed as though everyone knew everyone else. It did not take long for us to become part of the group.
Our meals were served buffet-style and there was plenty for everyone. They paid attention to special dietary needs and there were many choices at each meal.
Terry was the most "hands on" owner we have ever met. He was always available to answer questions and was most accomodating with special requests. For example, we needed transportation to another lodge close by. Terry made those arrangements as well as our subsequent trip to Puerto Jimenez and motel reservations in Puerto Jimenez.
We stayed in the Jungle Lodge and it was just fine. Although this particular lodge had no hot water, we welcomed the cool water after each hike. Being from New England, the water was "warm" to us.
We all gathered at the Inn in the evening for snacks, refreshments and conversation. Terry mingled with the group and genuinely seemed to enjoy his guests.
I would recommend this establishment highly. It is peaceful, beautiful and most special.

Stayed: December 2017
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

this has to be one of the best trip advisor reviews any one could ever want -- thank you so much you guys ... all the monkeys and scarlet macaws are happy tooo -- please come back and stay again and dont forget we have a wonderful lil boutique hotel in puerto jimenenz check it all out on my web site thanks again

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

2 families had. Great Christmas in paradise thanks to Terry& the staff. Initially some of the group were concerns about the outdoors sleeping and showers , but after a 3 week trip around the country( monteverde, Arenal, Santa Teresa) , everyone agreed th Lookout was the highlight. Falling asleep under starlight on the rope suspended bed with the sound of the waves ( drowning out my wife’s snoring) was magical. If you are older and need to get up in the night for a pee this also became a true highlight, I’ve never seen such an amazingly starlit sky before and would spend 10 minutes watching for shooting stars before heading back to bed. We especially loved the day walking up the river and having a go at gold panning with the local gold miners. Only improvement for me would be to switch the WiFi off and get people to enjoy the place rather than spending all day staring into their phones!

We’ll be back

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

what a wonderful review we all here at the famous lookout inn eco lodge thank you all for sharing your holidays with us .. the monkeys thank you toooooo have a great 2018

Reviewed 30 December 2017

We've been to the Osa Peninsular 7 times in the past 15 years . . . four times to the Lookout Inn and we've never been disappointed. Terry & Katya are the best hosts. All of the Accommodations we've been in have been clean and comfortable. Every Meal has always been lights out! Absolutely outstanding wildlife of every imaginable type . . . and that's from the breakfast table! Don't overlook this gem of Carate Beach!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

my dear friend woody -- u2 are the best and a great birder tooooooooo - I must say .. so many thanks for visiting us again and again your like having a big brother I never had -- all is well here at the famous lookout inn eco lodge - monkeys - toucans -- scarlet macaws - sun - salt - guests and fun -- see you again bro...

Reviewed 29 December 2017

This was our fourth visit back to the Lookout Inn and our first Christmas away from home as a family. Our son and his wife came with us and loved their stay. As always the food was excellent, the drinks refreshing, the staff was wonderful and it was good to spend time with Terry and Katya again. At the Lookout Inn, you can be an active explorer or, as I did this time around, you can kick back in a comfy hammock with a good book and relax, eat, drink and sleep like a log. The choice is yours and it is all good! Kayaking in the lagoon at sunrise is the most beautiful way to start the day and also to work up an appetite in anticipation of the breakfast feast waiting for our return. One of the absolute highlights of our visit this time was being able to witness the release of dozens of baby turtles to the sea. The turtle conservation folks control that process very carefully so that none of the excited observers interferes in any way with the baby turtles as they make their way to the water - we were allowed close enough so that we were just a foot or two away from these perfect little jewels as they scrambled to their ocean home. what a beautiful rare experience and photo opportunity! the children of the Lookout guests were given gloves and were carefully supervised by the experts as they showed the kids how to gently take a wee turtle and place it on the sand to send on its way. These kids will never forget this privilege and neither will the grownups. And of course, the monkeys, the macaws, coati and all the other small and large critters are all right there so no need to go walking for hours if you are not inclined - they all come to the Lookout Inn which is a familiar part of their territory by now and they feel safe to cruise on by for visits every day. Something new since our last visit are the amazingly gorgeous toucans - this time I was able to take the kind of photos I was hoping to have of this lovely bird. There is no place like the Osa Peninsula and the best place to take it all in is the Lookout Inn.

Katya also spends time looking after their small comfy Inn in Puerto Jimenez and so we stopped by there when we arrived at Jimenez and went back early enough to have time for another visit before our flight. What a lovely atmosphere she has created there - homey and warm and exotic all at once. A wonderful surprise at the second visit was when Katya showed us a tiny beautiful hummingbird nest right on the property. Once again, thanks to the amazing staff; the young women who keep those rooms and cabinas so clean and fresh; Estavan and the crew in the kitchen, thanks for making our tummies happy day after day; Ricardo, Robin, Mike, Bart, Osmara - amazing care given to all the guests and of course, the dogs - i love those dogs! Terry and Katya, together you have given the best parts of yourselves to make something that your guests will cherish forever. Terry, thanks for making everyone look for the green flash! finally, the skeptics are silenced, haha!!

Room Tip: we went back to the tiki huts this year. Doesn't really matter where you sleep - every room is unique and wonderful.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

my great friends north of lake erie and ontario the ''murfs '' love you guys and thanks again for visiting us here at the famous lookout inn and becoming are wonderful friends -- i hope your staying warm up there in the Yukon -- its 88' here and tropical as you know .. we all miss you thanks again and love to u all... terrr and the teammmm