All reviewsstairway to heavenmonkey houseblue butterflyhis wifehappy hourscarlet macawsother guestscosta ricaosa peninsulacorcovado national parktiki hutopen airmonkey roomsoupsfrog tourbeach bungalowshady lane
Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

We came for the morning and afternoon. We stayed at there other hotel in town. My uncle and aunts wanted to hike the park which is a very short distance away and my girlfriend and I were tired of all the hikes and just wanted to relax. The staff at hotel in town which is around 1.5 hours away suggested we come out to hotel for breakfast and chill by pool. Am I so glad we did! It was the most amazing place I have ever been too. The owner I think his name was terry cant remember was very cool man that has built an awesome establishment. He was also very nice. We had breakfast and lunch. Both meals delicious. We walked on beach and around property. Prettiest most awesome place I have been in Costa Rica. We stayed by pool most of time. I want to come back there and stay a couple days. I really liked it a lot!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

hello lil john --thanks for the happy visit and some day we hope you guys will hang longer -- thanks again terry at the inn--the only beach hotel in carate and we have a new and improved awesome pool -- more like a lil lagoon with solar powered waterfalls

Reviewed 13 June 2017

I've been coming to CR for 20-years now, and my recent week at the Lookout-Inn was like going back in time, and in so many wonderful ways, far too many ways honestly to put into words. As with all great destinations, the very beauty of the place and the spirits of the locals are often worn down from the never-ending surge of gringos (myself too) looking to get away from the rat-race in the States or other over-developed countries.

If you are looking at Carate, you already are on the right path for a truly amazing eco-vacation. Whether you like to go kayaking, hiking, playing in the surf, or just lounging in the pool this lodge has it ALL. The Lookout Inn unlike some of its neighbors is spread out across multiple ecosystems, and all within easy hikes in different directions from the lodge. I didn't make it to Corcovado, my initial intent simply because I didn't need to, I ran into troops of monkeys while kayaking, walking on the beach back from the lagoon, at the lodge just after sunrise or before sunset, on the Stairway to Heaven trail above the lodge, or the adjacent Shady Lane. My collection of monkey photos from Tortugero, Sarapiqui River and a host of other CR locations was typically little brown furry blotch with maybe an identifiable arm/leg or a tail barely visible. Not so here, a typical day involved multiple Spider or Capuchin monkey sightings within 10-15 feet while hiking, and then about 4 PM every day with beer in hand the lodge was typically visited by either the most amazing Squirrel monkeys or Capuchins. As long as you move slowly, respectfully I was able to sit and watch the lil' guys snack on some always present bananas, while taking some unbelievable iPhone pictures and videos from 5-6 feet away.

Oh, did I forget to mention there are some people working at the lodge too. In jest, Terry and Casia are some of the warmest, gracious, and most unassuming people you'll ever meet. I guess its a karma thing when you live in such a beautiful place it's easy to be happy, but everybody on staff truly was cool and fun to be around and interact with. Being a South Florida Gringo and not even bilingual one, my thanks go out Leah, Andy, Marty and the rest of the crew that always stopped to talk and smile as work permitted. Not sure how to spell "Rocky" en espanol but the buffet meals were great and she always held me a plate when I was off hiking or kayaking and would miss the meal buffets. I plan on going back in November.

Room Tip: Since the Squirrel and White-faced Capuchins come down from the ridge line above the lodge ask for higher rooms if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

hello south beach -- thanks again mr. G for the nice review and the great time spent here and all those food goodies you brought to us the smoked meats fantastic we are still munching on them --- hope to see you in November-- bring more goodies --- thanks from all your new friends here at the lookout inn and dont forget we have a lil boutique hotel in town puerto jimene z with an amazing pool bye for now terry at the inn

Reviewed 29 May 2017

We think we did well to stay away for nearly 6 months! We are huge travellers and we always look for the same thing. We want a fun time in a truly local location. We want to see and experience everything we can in the place we have chosen to visit and leave with a bucketful of memories and experiences. The Lookout gets you right under the skin of Costa Rica. The wildlife on your doorstep is incredible. I fished for bait in the lagoon up the road and a crocodile surfaced 4 metres in front of me. Down on the road a large snake was going up a tree to raid a squirrel's nest. Two of the other guests walked beyond the airstrip and saw a mountain lion. It is just endless. Fishing off the beach was brilliant, loads of action, back to the Lookout for the coldest beer and the best barbecued lemon chicken we have ever had. We stayed five nights. We came in November for 3 nights knowing it was the wet season and that was great. It rained, wow did it rain, but you still get plenty of sunshine and the rain does bring the place to life. May was good too, start of the wet and a little rain, sadly five nights goes real quick! My wife and I love this place and the hosts are great, nothing too much trouble, always so enthusiastic to share their knowledge of this amazing place. Downsides are no hot water, wifi is ok, but you are at one with nature here. Most of the rooms are really a platform with a roof and a bed with a mosquito net. If you hate bugs, need privacy and hot water, then this is not the place for you, but that is a shame because you will be missing out. Food is outstanding, great bar, yes we love this place and we will be back first week of December.

Room Tip: You need to figure out how close to nature you are happy to be. Best to email Terry.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gabriellae61
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

our happy fisherman -- thank you for the 2nd visit and we shall see u2 again around the holidays and dont forget my scotch -- all is well here at the famous lookout inn eco lodge lil rain lil sun and lots of monkeys and scarlet macaws -- see you again thanks terry at the inn and the gang toooooooooooo

Reviewed 21 May 2017

My wife and I were looking for something different, off the grid and found it at the Lookout Inn. We spent five days/nights there and one day/night at their other location Hotel Inn Jiménez, Puerto Jiménez.
They were performing some upgrading on the Tiki Hut structure that we had booked and was provided and upgrade. Great room, very spacious. You will get a workout from all of the stairs you will be climbing from your room, to the beach, and or to the main lodge.
As far as our host Terry and Katya, very attentive and fun to be around. Both are very knowledgeable about the local area and wildlife. The staff at both locations were a pleasure to deal with and be around, always smiling.
Since our visit was at the beginning of the "Green Season", we found that the Inn was still very busy with a variety of guest from all over the world. We enjoyed meeting and talking with all of them.
We look forward to our return visit back to the jungle and beach. - Whitney and Illegal.

Room Tip: This Inn is off the grid so be ready, no hot water, solar power, limited cell reception and wifi.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
lookoutinn, Owner at Lookout Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2017

hello varysburg new york --a wonderful visit we had with you also - many thanks and please return again --bring good vodka tooooooooooo your new friends here at the lookout inn

Reviewed 21 May 2017

If you don't like nature, animals, beautiful views, sunsets, waves and Costa Rica this place probably isn't for you. For everyone else, this place is beyond spectacular. I took my family which included a 4 year old and a 70 year old and each and everyone of us had a blast. Sleeping in the trees with open walls was amazing and now something I would like to do more of. The lodge is well designed to keep you entertained all day in a natural surrounding. The food prepared was buffet style and amazing as well. Lots of options for everyone. Very friendly staff too. Simply put, I am going again! Lots to see in the OSA and this place is right there. We just visited this May and it was sunny every day.

Room Tip: Get the rooms up high, You can see it all!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank grahamfswindell

yes life here at the lookout inn osa p. is definitely on the wild side -- most guests think this may be the best place to hang your hat if your looking for adventure -great food - and smiles -- so we all here thank you -- come see us and dont forget about our hotel in puerto j.