All reviews front porch hot water ceiling fan cloud forest hostel towels luxury monkeys wifi town pathway closet monteverde
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Absolutely wonderful common area that was massive and clean. Pretty good kitchen that was fully equipped. Nice little bar inside the main area with a television showing football matches. Neat hanging bridge to the dorm area with nice, clean rooms and beds. Private ensuite bathroom that was very clean in addition to large, clean bathrooms in the common area. Very friendly and helpful staff. Short walk to main area of Santa Elena. We saw hummingbirds and monkeys just hanging out around the hostel. Breakfast was delicious and nutritious, toast with chutney and fresh fruit every morning. Excellent establishment, would highly recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

This place is hidden in the forest and the staff is very friendly. There's a small bar on sight. It's good walking distance to town and up to the new town center. It's very clean too! It has hot water, towels, a light breakfast, and wifi. We even woke up to birds singing.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

I stayed here in the dorms for a few days and absolutely loved it. The dorms are reached by a hanging bridge which is very cool, and the whole place is located literally right in the forest. Very quiet and chilled. There weren't too many people around when I stayed, which worked well for me as I was looking for more of a retreat location rather than parties.
In fact one of the nights I stayed I had a whole dorm room to myself.
Lots of wildlife around literally at your door. Dorms open onto a big wooden balcony that overlooks the forest. Hot shower in my room, complementary use of a towel, decent equipped kitchen, helpful staff that helped recommend tours or how to get places and gave you a map of the town.
I think it must have been originally a big hotel that is now a cabin and hostel place? The main area was rather big and usually quite empty, but nice. Tv in main area.

Only down side was that the main area closed quite early (10pm) which meant you couldn't access the kitchen or any indoor chill area after this time. And this was also the only place with wifi. BUT one of the guys popped a chair on the balcony outside the main communal area for me after it shut so I could continue using the wifi. Which was great because then I was literally watching the nighttime wildlife wander around the forest while researching my next travel stop.

Breakfast is VERY basic. Literally just toast, fruit and coffee.

Overall however I loved it. I would highly recommend to anyone wanting a bit of a quieter location in the forest that is still very close to everything in town (a few minutes walk).

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2015

Highly reccommended. I stayed in a dorm and it was very nice and clean. It felt like I was staying in a nice hotel room. Beds were comfortable. The room gets fairly cold at night but there is a sheet and blanket on the bed. Shower water didnt get hot unfortunately.

The staff, particularly a guy named Deivi, was incredibly nice and helpful.

Location was basically right in town but also hidden in the forest. Very cool. You get to cross a hanging bridge to get you your room.

Amenities included- free towels if you asked; free coffee, fruit, and toast for breakfast; laundry (costs money); use of kitchen; bar; common room with tables, board games, telivision, and books; three computers and wifi; view of white monkeys outside your room in the morning!

Room tip: doorms are cheapest yet very very nice
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Leah N
Reviewed 6 July 2015 via mobile

We booked a premium room and got a nice little flat in the middle of the forrest. It was really nice, and we got to see different animals already when we arrived! Monkeys, racoons etc. It was clean and the beed was good. The service was really good and it is close to the city center of Santa Elena.

If there is something negative to say, it must be that the breakfast is not that good. It is just toast, butter, fruit and coffee. But you can cook your own food and buy an omelet.
The walls in the cabin is also very thin, so you can hear the neightbour sneeze like he was right next to you. But it is like camping and it is cosy! You get what you pay for!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple