All reviews colonial style first morning fresh fruit every morning manuel antonio national park costa rica carlos parrots ac quepos trees wildlife balcony
Reviewed 14 February 2018

The rooms are nice and clean, the hotel itself is dated and lacks attendance in some parts. The owner is a nice guy but the organisation rather chaotic and not very professional. We had to ask for shampoo and shower gel to get them to our room. We had to ask for salt and pepper for the eggs every morning. The booking confirmation stated check-in between 12:00-13:00. When we arrived at 12:00 we couldn’t check in and only realised it said in another part no early check in before 14:00.
Considering the level of prices in Manuel Antonio it’s nevertheless good value for money.

location : ok
staff : friendly
towels : good
toilet articles : ok
wifi : only in the communal areas not in the rooms
breakfast : ok
value for money : good

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

If I had to describe my experience, I would say terrible!! Others seemed happy but maybe they just weren't in our room!! Our room was very badly lit, decor from the 70s, an AC that doesn't work so it had a portable AC (that is very noisy) instead, that really doesn't make a difference! A ceiling fan that works only if you have the lights on! The room was not comfortable, BUT, at least it was clean. That wasn't enough for us to change our mind and change hotels. Thank God we found a better option which had less of the authentic costarican vibe but was more comfortable and welcoming. (When we spoke with the owner about the issue he said we can pay for just one night np, which was very kind and fair of him, a big thank you Carlos for that! apart from saying that it was our problem not his, which sounded a bit cold)

The water in the pool was murky you wouldn't dare swim in it, but perhaps it was a temporary issue!

The problem with this place for us was that it is too run down for our taste. We love the authentic feel, in fact we live in a 600 year old house ourselves, but we priviledge comfort and a good night sleep especially during a holiday! In my opinion, it has so much potential but money needs to be invested in it obviously to provide authenticity as well as comfort!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days and enjoyed the cosy atmosphere and spectacular scenery. Met by 16 monkeys, and to large parrots within the first 5 minutes in the almost encapsulated jungle garden. Besides this the owner has 4 dogs and a few bird cages to. During the days we saw hummingbirds, sloths and Tucanes in the garden, in fact a more inspiring and authentic nature experience that MA nature park. The place is not a typical hotel, and very personally run by Carlos and his Partner. Don't expect a range of convinient front desk services, but a warm and welcoming smile when you meet the host ( usually around breakfast in our case) rooms are large but poorly decorated, and lacking light, but clean and made up everyday.

I found the term Casa Hotel true, as this is something in between a hotel and a personal home. It's not the most ordered scenery, in fact a bit messy, but I found it a genuine middle American environment, with warmth and caos in a mutual coexistence. Very recommendable.

Be aware that access to the beach, restaurants towns etc are out of walking distance, but taxis are cheap, and a very regular bus service run just by the door. Otherwise a car is recommended.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

I went to check in to this establishment and it was dark outside. There were no lights to tell me where reception was, no one to greet me and tell me where to go. I walked around and even the bar/ restaurant was empty with no patrons eating or drinking. I left thinking it was closed and went to my car to find somewhere else to stay. The “owner” came out saying that I was walking around acting weird on his property. If he saw me, why wouldn’t he ask me if I needed help? My boyfriend who is fluent in Spanish told him that we went to check in and he said that it’s not the United States and he doesn’t accept anyone after 6:00pm. At this point it was 6:01. Do not waste your money. Lots of other places to stay with better accommodations and less insults.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We spent two wonderful nights at Casa Mare Nostrvm on our honeymoon in April. The property and the area around the hotel is totally beautiful and tranquil. Built in a gorgeous neo-colonial style, it has a lot of unique details, colors and antique furniture. We woke up together with the birds and monkeys every morning, to a beautiful view of the pool and the nearby forest. The nights were quite hot and we were saved by the portable AC in the room. Carlos has been a nice hospitable host. We were greeted to a delicious breakfast every morning (strong tasty coffee, juice, a platter of fresh ripe fruits and an omlette with toasted bread and jam). On the first morning there was even a delicious home-made pan de coco. The town of Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park take only several minutes by car. Thank you so much for the unique experience!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple