Review Highlights
Good Place to Relax and have a Drink

The Salsa Brava Bar is a good place to relax and have a smoothy or a drink at the beach. It has a... read more

Reviewed 17 June 2018
Guy T
San Jose, Costa Rica
via mobile
It's definitely on the beach

Reviewed 29 November 2017
beney77
London, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 November 2017

I came her for an afternoon cocktail. It was a fantastic spot to sit and have a drink by the very edge of the beach.

The service wasn't super fast and they didn't have the right ingredients for a Pina Colada, however the alternative was a good'un. There was a DJ playing loud reggae music and the promise of a proper reggae club night later. I left before the sunset but staff were switching on the disco lights.

Later in the evening - about 10pm we came back. Now I did visit during low season but, despite the music still playing, the place was deserted. To one side of the bar on the beach itself were a few chairs (so not strictly speaking in the bar) and the barman there was chatting to a couple of other people and they were smoking... um, something. Probably shouldn't say. You know.

We wanted a beer so we sat at the bar and it took a few minutes for the barman to meander over. He sort of said something that didn't make any sense, took about seven hours to open two beers (time stretches out when you're thirsty and there's an imminent beer) having got distracted by some piece of dirt under his fingernail or something, eventually gave us the beer, asked for the money straight away and then walked off.

My friend and I had a good chat, the music ended, we finished our beer and the barman promptly closed up. Perhaps it was really strong, um, tobacco. Yes that's what it was. Possibly tobacco. Something that burns in rolled up cigarette paper anyway. I could be wrong. Am I wrong. I could be wrong.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

A guy served us who seemed to have only just begun working there. We asked him what happy hour entailed for cocktails and he said he would go ask. He came back and showed us the drink menu and said cocktails 2 for 1. We then asked him how about beers and he asked again and said 2 for 1 also. We sat here for an hour or so and each had three beers. When we went to pay the guy who had served us had left and the supervisor was taking care of our bill. He was charging us for each beer and insisted that they weren’t included in happy hour. When we said that we had been told by a staff member that they were he refused to reason with us and just insisted we pay full price. It wasn’t so much about the money but more about how rude he was, refusing to take responsibility for his staff. I wouldn’t recommend going here.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Great place, nice music (most of the time dj present) and cocktails are nice. Came here a couple of times, never dissapointed!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

My husband and I spent hours here during our stay in Puerto viejo - perfect spot to watch the sunset and enjoy drinks during happy hour! We didn't get a chance to try the food. The mojitos we ordered were average - a little strong and could have used more lemon or lime, but we could have asked for this as well.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

Best sangria I have ever had! We got a couple fish Caribbean bowl lunches every day on our vacation and sat and enjoyed beer and sangria as our kids snorkeled along the reef in front of the restaurant/bar. It was fantastic! Relaxed reggae music, Caribbean breeze...Hidden gem!

Date of experience: June 2016