Review Highlights
Review for the boat and rental property they offer

WARNING!! If you are looking for a luxury resort with people running around everywhere and staff... read more

Reviewed 24 June 2018
Bob C
Great fishing

Book Pino and Nick. Super knowledgeable and ultra friendly. We've never been fishing before and it... read more

Reviewed 16 July 2017
Jubropamil
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews wahoo punta mona boat captain costa rica playa chiquita janet pino shore motor coastline land birds
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Book Pino and Nick. Super knowledgeable and ultra friendly.
We've never been fishing before and it was great. Caught lots of jack's which were cooked in 'Hot Rocks' restaurant on our return which was fab.
We also went snorkeling which I loved. They supplied all the gear plus yummy drinks and snacks, (thanks Janet- fab humous)
Wish I could go again tomorrow!

Date of experience: July 2017
Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Shucks, thanks for such a nice review. We would love to take you back out, so come back soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We stopped up at Hot Rocks looking to book a fishing trip the next day (our last in Puerto Viejo). Unfortunately the timing was bad. Pino was busy and Nick's boat was getting a new motor put on. Everyone else they contacted were just busy. I guess that's what we get for waiting until the last minute. I was disappointed to not get to meet the famous Pino, but Nick and Janet were amazing. They were able to contact a gentleman in Manzanillo by the name of Doba (Dover) to ask if he could take us out. We ended up in a lot smaller boat than I had planned with no top for shade, but Doba was amazing. He was one of the nicest people I met my entire trip and was an excellent fishing guide. Unfortunately this land lubber had absolutely no sea legs and after chumming the water for everyone, spent the rest of the trip with my head lying on the edge of the boat. It didn't take long for the rest of the crew to catch some fish and being happy with that, we agreed to head to shore. Doba took us to Punta Mona, where he found and cracked open fresh coconut for us and pointed out the different trees and fruits growing along the beach and gave us history on the area. We were definitely satisfied with our day at sea and on shore! Thank you to Janet and Nick for hooking us up with the best guide for us!

Date of experience: June 2017
Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Thank you for the nice shout-out! We're so glad you enjoyed your trip with Dover. He's a hoot, isn't he. We were disappointed it wouldn't work out with our boats, but knew Pino's cousin would be a close second.
Next time...
janet

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Janet was great to correspond with and Nick & Pino did a fine job touring my three children and me around. The fish weren't biting much, but we had a nice run up the coast and caught up with some dolphin around Monkey point. Always nice to be on the water and I enjoyed Nick's company and his overview of the area.

Date of experience: March 2017
1  Thank steven37215

I'm with you, just being on the water is such a transforming experience, and I take great pride in the care my husband and captain (Nick and Pino, respectively) provide our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip, we'll do what we can to encourage the fish!

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

I have fished a lot, and have come to realize that there are two things that make for a great day. Knowing where the fish are, and spending quality time in a small boat with people that you actually like. When it comes to the captain, it's no joke: he's the best in the region. He knows where the fish are and he knows how to cook them! Janet made the trip a true delight as well. I can't speak highly enough of my day and I'll be back!!!

Much love
Owen

Date of experience: February 2017

Hey Owen, I enjoyed our day on the water as much as you. It's always fun to be on the boat with someone who is just living in the moment and enjoying the ride, and it paid off eventually! Sometimes I think Pino has the fish trained just to make it look like he's got the secret method.
Give us a head's up before your next trip down, maybe our apartment "Angler's Lair" will fit your needs!

Reviewed 14 November 2016

Although we had booked and paid a deposit several months in advance, when we turned up at 7am on the morning of the trip, we were told they had double-booked. However, luckily (for us at least) we were prioritised and went out on the boat. We caught a small tuna and saw some dolphins (both great), but then the boat ran out of fuel so we became stranded off shore! We had to wait for a friend of the captain Pino to bring us fuel from the mainland. Pino dropped anchor while we were waiting, which seemed to make the boat roll very badly and our youngest child (age 8) became very sick and very frightened. Because Pino's friend only brought a small amount of fuel, we had to go straight back to shore and our trip ended there. What with setting-off late due to the mix-up in the morning, waiting around for fuel to be brought and getting back 60-90 mins early, the trip was much shorter than it should have been and there was very little fishing, which was the whole reason for doing the trip. To add insult to injury, our youngest was too ill to do the afternoon activity we had planned.

Date of experience: October 2016
2  Thank Sally M
Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

We apologize for the disappointing day you had with us, clearly we were not on our best game, and thus realizing that, we offered you a significant refund, to which you replied, "Absolutely not, it was part of the adventure". The mistake with the scheduling resulted when a booking calendar went offline, and since I was out of the country, Nick did not have the same information I did. The gas was something that's never happened before, but we've since made a change in our maintenance so it never happens again... too many cooks, or however the saying goes. Yet, we strive to provide excellent customer service and a great day of fun on the water, and we disappointed you, so we are very sorry. I'm glad you were able to catch a tuna, what a treat!! And, from the exchange you had on the beach, it sounds like the biggest disappointment was that you were having so much fun, and it got cut short. Being anchored, as in when we're bottom fishing, can be a bumpy event, and seasickness is never fun for anyone. Thank you for the feedback, please give us a chance to fully impress you next visit, ok?!