“Fun Trip (even in the rain)”

Wahoo Fishing & Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Get your Pura Vida... wet! Join us for near and/or offshore fishing, dolphin and snorkeling trips, a sunset tour, or a booze cruise. Whether you're a hard core fisherman/woman, or just want to get on the water, we will work with you to design the best trip possible. All trips include fresh tropical fruits, cold drinks (water and something harder) and the exclusive Wahoo cookies. Tours over 4 hours include sandwiches and vegies. Our captain, Pino, was born and raised in Puerto Viejo. He knows the southern Caribe like you know your living room... it is his living room. He will delight you with his humor as he coaches you in the ways of traditional line fishing. If the water's right, he'll dive and find you a langosta for dinner. Rods, reels, bait and tackle included, as well as snorkeling equipment. Boat equipped with GPS, fishfinder, bimini top, fresh water shower, and PFD's. Find us on the beach across from The Parquecito and Tex Mex in Puerto Viejo. Put the Wahoo in your Costa Rica vacation!
Reviewed 24 November 2017

We did a 1/2 day trip and despite the rain and ending a bit early as a result it was still a great time. Pino is excellent to fish and hang out with. The fish weren't really biting too much, but we caught a couple, enjoyed the coastline (even in the rain). Janet and Nick were great to work with. I would highly recommend spending some of your trip with Wahoo - weather happens, fish only bit some of the time and in the end we are here to experience this wonderful place called Costa Rica - which we did.

Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Thank you, Jenn! We are really fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and sharing it with folks like you brings us even more delight. Pino is indeed the real deal--his skill, relaxed manner, and most of all his humor! We hope to see you again.

All reviews
"land"
"birds"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Book Pino and Nick. Super knowledgeable and ultra friendly.
We've never been fishing before and it was great. Caught lots of jack's which were cooked in 'Hot Rocks' restaurant on our return which was fab.
We also went snorkeling which I loved. They supplied all the gear plus yummy drinks and snacks, (thanks Janet- fab humous)
Wish I could go again tomorrow!

Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Shucks, thanks for such a nice review. We would love to take you back out, so come back soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We stopped up at Hot Rocks looking to book a fishing trip the next day (our last in Puerto Viejo). Unfortunately the timing was bad. Pino was busy and Nick's boat was getting a new motor put on. Everyone else they contacted were just busy. I guess that's what we get for waiting until the last minute. I was disappointed to not get to meet the famous Pino, but Nick and Janet were amazing. They were able to contact a gentleman in Manzanillo by the name of Doba (Dover) to ask if he could take us out. We ended up in a lot smaller boat than I had planned with no top for shade, but Doba was amazing. He was one of the nicest people I met my entire trip and was an excellent fishing guide. Unfortunately this land lubber had absolutely no sea legs and after chumming the water for everyone, spent the rest of the trip with my head lying on the edge of the boat. It didn't take long for the rest of the crew to catch some fish and being happy with that, we agreed to head to shore. Doba took us to Punta Mona, where he found and cracked open fresh coconut for us and pointed out the different trees and fruits growing along the beach and gave us history on the area. We were definitely satisfied with our day at sea and on shore! Thank you to Janet and Nick for hooking us up with the best guide for us!

Janick2010, Owner at Wahoo Fishing & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

Thank you for the nice shout-out! We're so glad you enjoyed your trip with Dover. He's a hoot, isn't he. We were disappointed it wouldn't work out with our boats, but knew Pino's cousin would be a close second.
Next time...
janet

Reviewed 31 March 2017

Janet was great to correspond with and Nick & Pino did a fine job touring my three children and me around. The fish weren't biting much, but we had a nice run up the coast and caught up with some dolphin around Monkey point. Always nice to be on the water and I enjoyed Nick's company and his overview of the area.

1  Thank steven37215

I'm with you, just being on the water is such a transforming experience, and I take great pride in the care my husband and captain (Nick and Pino, respectively) provide our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip, we'll do what we can to encourage the fish!

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

I have fished a lot, and have come to realize that there are two things that make for a great day. Knowing where the fish are, and spending quality time in a small boat with people that you actually like. When it comes to the captain, it's no joke: he's the best in the region. He knows where the fish are and he knows how to cook them! Janet made the trip a true delight as well. I can't speak highly enough of my day and I'll be back!!!

Much love
Owen

Hey Owen, I enjoyed our day on the water as much as you. It's always fun to be on the boat with someone who is just living in the moment and enjoying the ride, and it paid off eventually! Sometimes I think Pino has the fish trained just to make it look like he's got the secret method.
Give us a head's up before your next trip down, maybe our apartment "Angler's Lair" will fit your needs!