“Best Coffee!”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday 10 am, Tuesday10 & 2, Thursday 10 & 2, Friday2 pm, and Saturday 2 pm. No reservations required. We also have a full service coffee and chocolate shop. Our coffee is fresh roasted farm to cup and delicious. Our chocolate is all hand made and organic. Fresh smoothies, sandwiches, ice cream and much more.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 14 February 2018

We went here twice during our stay in Puerto Viejo and absolutely loved the atmosphere. I wanted to stay in this cool coffee shop all day! Everyone is so friendly and they have a wonderful vibe. The natural smoothies are DELICIOUS! We brought home chocolate bars and coffee beans to give as gifts and everyone loves them. Unfortunately we didn't get to do the chocolate tour.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"different kinds"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 13 February 2018

I could give a play-by-play of each minute of the tour, but I'd rather just say "do it!" Go and be surprised by what unfolds, as we were. Yes, it is 3 hours. Yes, there is some walking uphill involved. Yes, it is $28pp (as of Feb 2018). But all I can say is that they do an outstanding job, the scenery is wonderful, and you will leave very well-informed about the local chocolate industry. The walk is not difficult, and the guide stops several times along the way to show something or talk about another aspect, which gives guests a chance to rest a bit. But even without stops, the walk is not strenuous. If I were to bring my 70-year old parents, I would probably have them use walking sticks. The guide offers umbrellas in case of a passing rain shower. At first we wondered what we could possible do for THREE hours, but the time is well spent. I cannot recommend this tour enough.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

We took our 8, 5 and 2 year olds on the 3 hour tour up a hill on a hot day and were pleasantly surprised at how much they loved it. (All you can eat chocolate obviously helps that!) Learn something, get a little hike in, and eat chocolate with an ocean view.

Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

The sipping chocolate at Caribeans is one of the most delicious treats I've ever had. Farm to table dark chocolate served in tiny cups. Truly, my eyes rolled up in my head and my toes curled when I tasted it.

The chocolate tour is fun and interesting. You need to be able to walk on a gravel road up and down a steep hill, but its well worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 February 2018

My husband and I visited Caribeans three times while in the area. The first time, the barista was friendly, attentive and the mochachino was good (we own a cafe in the states so know what good coffee is all about.)
The second time there the espresso drink was just okay, and the third time we were really disappointed. The staff was too busy messing around with each other to be attentive to customers, there was no where to sit due to the number of people just using the space for the wifi or art and crafts and the drinks were not good.