Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Bucket list checked!!

We brought our 4 daughters, ages 9-18 and had the best time. This was a bucket list adventure for... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
kerryc164
Cahuita, Costa Rica
via mobile
Perfect Day!

My boyfriend and I did a private lesson and had the most fun ever even though it rained. Misael has... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Saracuda82
Columbus, Ohio

Recommended experiences in and around Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
from US$133,00
More Info
All reviews great instructor pura vida his life every step of the way good vibes learn how puerto viejo amazing experience salsa brava our honeymoon misael wave lesson teacher beginners jungle encouragement
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Not being a great swimmer I had a lot of trepidation about trying surfing. From the moment Misael picked us up at our hotel, I knew my fears were all for naught.

Misael is a surfing guru. Hes been doing it for almost his whole life. He takes you to a beautiful beach with no rocks, and because you never have to go above your head, drowning is impossible.

He teaches in such a relaxed manner, and easily gets across the basics. He also has a very keen eye and immediately spots your biggest problem, and shows you how to fix it. But he does this in a very encouraging way. Every time I caught a wave today, he seemed as happy as me, which is saying something!

And after the lesson, he cut up some of the most delicious pineapple I've ever had, and was even kind enough to drive us into town, where it seems almost everyone knows him.

Simply put, I don't know how anyone could find a better instructor or a cooler guy. I never thought I would surf, and because of Misael - I did the impossible! Anyone that gives him less than 5 stars is probably crazy or lying.

Book it - you won't regret it!

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank Troy M
Reviewed 3 November 2017

My friend and I absolutely loved our first surflessons with misael! He is patient and explains very good all the important stuff you need to know when going on a surfboard. He is very passionate about his job and eager to teach other people. I would recommend everyone to book a session with him. pura vida!

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Misael is an amazing teacher. Passioned about what he does. He just wants the best for you and is not chasing after the money. You can feel very safe because the sea is his home and he knows how to handle it. I am taking classes every week for 3 months and we always find a date to surf. its always fun and exciting and every time I get to learn something new. So don't even think about booking a different surf school than this one. PURA VIDA

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We had some amazing surf lessons with Misael. My friend went from complete novice to catching 4 foot waves in two lessons. Misael is a really fun guy and an encouraging teacher. He took good care of us and we always felt safe, even in big surf.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 6 October 2017

If you're in Puerto Viejo and you want surf lessons, he's your guy! Mischeal has been in PV since there wasn't any electricity, and basically started surfing then too. He knows the beaches, tide schedule and waves like the back of his hand. He doesn't cut any corners on giving tips, if you pay attention, you WILL stand up and feel what it's like to surf. His knowledge will give you confidence for sure. I stood up every wave he pushed me out on, it was a dream. As you're driving to the surf spot he points out monkeys, sloths and tells you mini stories from his life there. Post surf lesson, we checked out another beach that was loaded with coconut trees. He asked, "want a coconut?" we said sure and within 5 mins he had climbed a tree, got 2 coconuts down and proceeded open them up using just the nature around him. Best coconut water i've ever tasted. He also pointed us in the different of authentic Caribbean food, which we ate on the beach and it is a memory i will never forget. He wasn't just a surf instructor, he was an awesome dude we got to hang out with and learn from. Definitely will work with him again on our next visit :)

Date of experience: September 2017