See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My bed was covered with live bugs and stains all over the sheets. I was really disgusted and ended up living to another hotel. The paint was peeled of on the bottom on countless places while the surface was covered with dead bugs, leaves, dust, etc. Very depressing!! The pictures are misrepresented. Pool: a swamp. I felt really disgusted. The sun chairs, made of metal, were rusted. No cushions. Don't stay in this place. RUN away as fast as you can.

Room tip: Don't stay here if you don't want bed bugs
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank SRAH S
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed 4 days and had a wonderful experience! nice, clean, good breakfast and the staff was very kind, if you need something just ask and they will provide. The owner is a nice lady and the hotel is smokefree, you won't be disturbed by bad smells while eating your food, enjoying the swimming pool or resting in your room. Great location close to the airport and 10 min away from downtown. You'll get a great service for a fair price

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel is run by an obnoxious and nosy old lady who managed to make my life a living hell for the there days my husband and I were at this hotel.

Breakfast: "you eat what we give you" is their motto. You sit at a table and the cook/maid brings you what you have to eat (or starve) that morning. The first day it was one small sausage (we're vegetarians - nobody cared...), small omelette and a small fruit salad. Second morning: 2 slices of bread dipped in eggs, fried in a pan and the small fruit salad. That was it, take it or leave it...

Rooms: all rooms are at ground floor, in a circle, all facing the pool (take 3 steps out of your room and you're in the pool). Breakfast area is also next to the pool, meaning nobody gets any sleep after breakfast preparation starts at 6 am. It feels like everyone is eating at your door (and they kind of are...)

Pool: it was actually a swamp. The paint was peeled of on the bottom on countless places while the surface was covered with dead bugs, leaves, dust, etc. The sun chairs, made of metal, were rusted. No cushions.

Hotel policies: "no meeting in the common areas after 11 p.m" Meaning if you're a group travelling together, you can't hang out in the hotel after 11 p.m. Go to bed or go out of the hotel.
"visitors are not allowed, not even in common areas". So if you have a friend who just wants to have a drink with you on the hotel terrace and talk, well...tough luck, it's forbidden...

Smoking: they offered smoking rooms on the website we made the reservation. Well, that was a lie. The old lady stated several (too many) times that smoking is not allowed in any part of the hotel. I understood that, knowing that there is also a law about smoking in Costa Rica. When I went out to smoke in the PARKING LOT she threw me out in the street, yelling I'm filling her hotel with smoke...

All in all, if I had to choose between sleeping in my car or in this hotel, I would take the first option. I will never, under any circumstance, go back to this hotel!

7  Thank Marrgot
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Location: difficult to find even for some local taxi drivers or iGO GPS. You can use GPS to get an approximate location and here's the trick: as you go on Autopista General Canas, you have to take an exit towards Double Tree by Hilton hotel (you can set your destination on this hotel, to make sure you take the right exit). Google Maps also knows Puerta del Sol and you can get an idea from there as well. You continue straight, then you make a right (there is a "square" with some ponds on the left and right and some sort of fountain on the middle), then again a right and you end up at the barrier of the 'rotonda' where the hotel is located.
There is not much to do in the area, or within area. There is a shopping mall close by (10 minute walk or maybe 15).

Room: a bed, some furniture and a closet, 2 night stands, nothing special. Some decorations are kitschy (like the LED lights mounted on the spout aerator, in the bathroom) or simply don't go together. Bathroom could easily get water on the floor because the shower curtains allowed space in some areas. I was also bothered by some small ants on one of the night stands (only there, nowhere else in the room).

Although we asked for a smoking room when booking and the option was allowed (plus an ashtray being present in the bathroom), because of the law forbidding smoking in public places, you are not allowed to smoke in the hotel perimeter, so we had to go outside the hotel every time. It was very awkward that the front door was constantly being locked (even during day time), so we had to use a side-entrance, which could be open from outside (so what was the point in locking the main door since a potential thief would've used this one anyway?)

TV: old (cathode) tube TV. At least it had HBO, but sometimes the image wasn't that good.

Swimming pool: disappointing for 2 reasons. First: at 3pm, the pool and pool area are 85% covered by shadow. Second: the water isn't that clean. We stayed at several hotels in the jungle, where you had vegetation and insects all around you, yet the water stayed clean, so I can find no excuse for the way this swimming pool looked.

Breakfast: included in the room price, but you don't get to choose it. You just receive it - like it or not. Usually (per person) it was one glass of juice brought to you, one small bowl of cut fruits (banana, watermelon, papaya) and some omelette with sausage OR pancakes (only one of these, not up to you). Coffee was available, as much as you wanted. Can't say I enjoyed breakfast.

Parking: around 3-4 parking spaces in front of the entrance. Otherwise you can park in the rotonda, outside.

Every morning we were waking up at the sound of people outside, since all room doors were facing the pool and around the pool there were tables. So by 7am the latest, we were up...

3  Thank KissTheRottweiller
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've been traveling around Costa Rica for the better part of two years, and I just stayed in the nicest hotel in all that time. Clean IS important to me! And, I'm a budget traveler. This place was fantastic. Very friendly staff and proprietor. Best breakfast I've had in a hotel here, also. Hot water. Nice beds. Swimming pool. A/C -- which I never even use, but if it's your first trip, you'll want it.

I'm sure (like many places in C.R.) they've had their hot water go out, but no problems during my stay. This is not Beverly Hills, and you're not going to pay B.H.'S rates here! I loved this place. I found everyone nice and very friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again! Close to shopping. Right on the main highway in and out of San Jose. Near the airport. Can't ask for much more!

Room tip: This was my first time staying here, so all I can say was our room next to the pool was great! It was quiet there.