Review Highlights
Surf lessons

WoW ! What a great experience ! A big thanks to Mateo our teacher!! I will recommand this place for... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
MartineS214
via mobile
Best price in all of Tamarindo! Very easy, great board selection!

$10 a day! Super easy! I came down for 10 days and just rented a board each day. Can change out... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
laidbackroadtripper

Recommended experiences in and around Tamarindo
from US$115,00
from US$175,00
from US$45,00
from US$85,00
More Info
All reviews surf shop great instructor rent boards private lesson pura vida hour lesson board selection two hours riding waves witches rock skill level great customer service learn how costa rica these guys laid back an amazing experience
Reviewed 1 April 2018

My wife and I booked a semi-private surf lesson with Kelly's Surf Shop last week, and we were paired up with Victor. Neither of us had ever surfed before, and I was just hoping to get up once during the whole lesson. Victor really took the time to show us the proper techniques on land, and then took us out into the ocean for some practice. My wife was literally up surfing on her first try, and I was up shortly thereafter. Victor gave us great tips, never seemed frustrated, and really seemed to enjoy what he was doing!

I spent a lot more time on the board, than off it, and we both truly had a great time. I highly recommend this shop/school to anyone looking for a good lesson! This is a class act, and they definitely know what they are doing. If you're in Tamarindo and looking for a lesson, or just a rental, look these guys up. They will take great care of you!

Date of experience: March 2018
Desk K, vendeora at Kelly's Surf Shop and School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi there!

thanks for writing us such a nice review, we appreciate!
we are more than glad that you were able to stand up so fast and that you enjoyed it so much.

furthermore, thanks for recommending us,

we are looking forward to see you again on the waves!!

Have a nice week,

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This was great. I learned how to surf immediately. The instructor was great. He corrected everything I did and by the end I felt like a pro. He helped so much.

Date of experience: March 2018
Desk K, vendeora at Kelly's Surf Shop and School, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Hi Cecilia,

we are glad to know you end up feeling surfing like a a pro at the end of one of our lesson, that is perfect!

thanks for writing us,

Pura Vida

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Recently i was in Tamarindo to surf and forgot my leash. I went to Kelly’s and they didnt want to rent me a leash because they said than they cant rent the board its on even though i wanted to pay them. Meanwhile the store was empty and there was over 100 boards in it that were available for surf. Finally they rented me a leash FOR 1 HOUR for $5 bucks when a surfboard to rent for the whole day is $10. They are scamers!

Date of experience: February 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
KellySurfShop, General Manager at Kelly's Surf Shop and School, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review . We apolagize for the initial confusion as we have a few new staff members and due to the fact we do not get many requests for leash rentals they did not know the protocol for this service . They should have asked another staff member or management before they said “no” . You are correct , it is not problem to take it off a board and rent it , especially if we have plenty of boards available . We apaolagize for their initial response. We do have a minimum rental price on all rental items in the shop. It was $5 for the day , but it is the same if you just take it for one hour. There is staff time to consider as well as wear and tear . We find it offensive you would call us scammers when you signed a rental contract and knew the price prior to taking the rental leash. If you were not okay with the price you did not have to rent the item. It may have been too expensive in your opinion but in no way did we scam you. If you were not comfortable to pay $5 we also have leashes available for purchase.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I've been coming to Tamarindo for surfing for a couple years now and I always come back to these guys. Friendly crew, big board selection and right across from the best surf spot.

1  Thank Ashton B

Hi Ashton,

we are glad you are still happy of our work after those years, also, thanks for taking the time to write us

We hope to see you soon, the waves are waiting for you!

Pura vida

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We've visited Tamarindo 4 years in a row and started our relationship with Kelly's by taking surfing lessons. We're "seniors" and really enjoyed learning from their knowledgeable staff. Kelly's has other services however: each year, we have them buy bicycles for us and then use those for our daily transportation. We've also rented bikes there. The owners, Jessalyn (Canadian) and Sebastion (Costa Rican) are delightful people. They have a small bed and breakfast that can be booked through Kelly's--small, clean, nice small pool and also can provide transportation to various locations. We've used their service ourselves and also used them for transporting family from the airport in LIberia to Tamarindo. Always pleasant, no slip ups, good price. Kelly's is great; the owners and the services they offer are even better!

Date of experience: February 2018

Hola!

we could not ne more glad that after 4 years, you are still satisfied of our service.
it is nice to have as loyal customers as you guys are.

Furthermore, thanks for writing us, we hope to help you again next year

Pura vida