See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 November 2016

I am ranking Jump Start Costa Rica five out of five because of the quality of the trainer. The results that I have seen are incredible and I give full praise to our trainer Adriel. He is very well versed in all areas of fitness and was able to push us to levels that we would not have been able to achieve on our own. He is very experienced and has a high level of knowledge in all areas. Additionally, he is a lovely person, humble, very hard working, always on time and an all around great guy. I lost a lot of weight, got in excellent shape, dropped a few clothing sizes and had a lovely time on the beaches in Costa Rica.

There are a few negatives which all stem from the office in New York. The website is dated, pre trip information is weak, the poor reservation system is not in line with what one expects these days. Most guests who arrive have some hesitation which has occurred due to misinformation in the booking process. However, once you are in Costa Rica, you will be very well looked after by all of the staff of the retreat. You'll have a full time nutritionist named Daisy who has excellent knowledge regarding nutrition, food and juicing. Her team will make your drinks for every meal. Megan, who leads yoga three times a week, is fantastic and also provides the best massage. All of the staff have been there for more than a year and all of them plan on staying there.

As Jump Start does not do any marketing, most people don't know about it. The fact you are reading this post means you've found them online and you are one of the few. No marketing means less people, which is ideal for you. Thus you'll have very small training groups, which is perfect for getting the results you deserve. For our first week, there were two of us, the second week there were three. Thus the trainer can provide even more personal attention to you. I heard once there was a group of five a few years ago, but that was a rare occasion. As you will only be in a small group, you literally get your own private trainer. And, the quality of the personal one on one training provided by Adriel is phenomenal. In two weeks I lost 10% of my original body weight. I left fitter, faster, more flexible and carrying a lot less weight. Thank you to Adriel for helping me jump start my fitness to a higher level. I would recommend this program with Adriel as the trainer to anyone, whether you are looking to lose weight, get in shape, achieve a higher level of fitness or all of the above. He even works with high performance athletes and can adapt and modify every exercise.

A few recommendations:
-Rent an SUV at the airport and drive there. Costa Rica is a very car friendly country and the SUV will help with the potholes. You'll have some afternoons off and there are some great nearby beaches to check out that make it easier if you have a car. Otherwise Samara Beach is a two minute walk.
-Bring lots of tshirts, you will sweat a lot.
-Bring some ear plugs. As friendly as the roosters are, they get up at 4:00 am and like to waken everyone in the area.
-Bring an air mattress as the beds are not very comfortable (it's a boot camp so the bed comfort parallels a boot camp).

I can't wait to revisit Costa Rica, it's a beautiful country.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2016

June 5, 2016: This is a scam. I have been calling the main number all week to reserve Costa Rica or Sante Fe location. It goes to voicemail and the voicemail box is full so I can't leave a message. Emails go unanswered. Thursday of this week I spoke to Julie or Julia who said for me to call back Friday the next day and she would find out the information for me. I called many times Friday and again voice mail. When one person finally answered, she had no idea about anything and said the woman I had spoken to the previous day was on a plane! I called the Four Seasons Hotel in Sante Fe and they have no record of this program.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank Alecia B
Reviewed 17 April 2016

It has been more than 2 months since we left Ron, Julie, Daisy Lily, Adrienne, Argos and all the other lovely lively caring team at Jumpstart. We have not stopped praising them and their program.

Going into the program, we were skeptical. The support and encouragement of the team and other program participants had us more active than we had been in 20 years... surprisingly we were able to stay on the juice ONLY program for 7 (that is SEVEN !!!) days, then an additional 5 days with Juice and 1 salad dinner.

Back in the real world, Ron and Julie's technical explanations and guidance was on target to helping us stay on track while being "Practical not Perfect" -- their philosophy for success. Other things that helped were our Vitamix, their recipes plus Dr Furhams Eat for Health recipe book.

Highly recommended for all ages and lifestyles... just make the time for yourself and them. It is worth it

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina_philly_12
Reviewed 6 March 2016

I went to Jump Start Costa Rica for 10 Days in February 2016. Sometimes when i get to burning the candles at both ends the typical vacation doesn't work for me, and I really need to recharge. This place was perfect for that. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. I did the juice fast for 5 days and salads for dinner the remained of the stay. I lost 15 pounds. But most importantly I felt that lightness/calmness again. So far I have continued to eat well & exercise and have lost more weight. It's a great way to jump start your self back into a healthier lifestyle. I really enjoyed the setting in Costa Rica, the relaxed pace and you really get the feel of the slower pace and the experience of the community and the gorgeous scenery-especailly with the ocean just across the street. Highly recommend you give your self this gift.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank jmanc225
Reviewed 4 March 2016 via mobile

I can't possibly say enough wonderful things about Jumpstart Costa Rica. The accommodations and the town were perfection, a very zen and relaxing experience. The beach was breathtaking and very close. The juice was delicious and I was never hungry.

The best part however was the people. Daisy, Lily and Anita took wonderful care of us. Our every need was met and every question answered. The workouts were vigorous but always in a beautiful setting and they really worked! Thank you to Adriel, Fer and Megan for pushing us. My husband lost 10 lbs in one week and I lost 8!

I highly recommend a quad sunset tour with Outback, a sunset cruise with Piscis, massages with Megan,and a salsa lesson with Adriel and Fer. We can't wait to go back next year!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple