“Best Pasta in all of Costa Rica - hands down!”
Review of Villa Italia

Villa Italia
Ranked #13 of 126 Restaurants in Playas del Coco
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

I was on my way to Papagayo and decided to take an hour-long detour and head to Playa del Coco to eat at Villa Italia. By far, this place has the best pasta I've had in CR! All pastas are homemade. The fettuccine with a porcini mushroom and truffle sauce just might've been the best pasta dish I've ever eaten--including multiple trips to Italy. One of their homemade pastas is strazzopreti. I'd never heard of it before but is apparently native to Tuscany. Delicious and al dente! The service was excellent as well. We were attended to by one the owners--the other was in the kitchen. They described their food as "nothing we've invented--these are all recipes that both of our mothers served us. This is what we ate in our homes growing up." If my mother cooked like this, I would've never left home! I highly recommend this place if anywhere remotely in the vicinity of Coco!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Went to Villa Italia for dinner the other night, It is the first time I have been there in about five years. After having dinner there, I remember why.

I can't imagine how any place charges $20 a plate for pasta and doesn't even put a piece of parsly on the plate to add some break from the white plate to the white pasta.

Pasta was more than al dente to the point of being under cooked. My wife left about half of her meal as uneatable. On the other hand, the gorgonzola on my raviola was very tasty.

1  Thank Bradford S
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Very awesome place to eat! Kinda wierd that real Italians made it to Costa Rica but it was very authentic and made from scratch. Everything was absolutely perfect. Reminds me of my time in Rome. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

There is no way to enjoy a meal when the server is giving u a hard time, not friendly, place was with 2 table and us, the food was ok but not the best, got a spaghetti Bolognese and there was not a single piece of meat on it.

1  Thank santiagos937
Reviewed 4 June 2018

This was good enough we went back twice during our short stay in Playas del Coco. It is a few block off the main road and especially after dark many people would likely not be comfortable walking in that neighborhood. Not well lit and looks rough. However, the main taxi stand is right were you would turn off the main road and for $2 you can ride. It is definitely worth the effort. Once there, the restaurant is fantastic. One small hurdle, everything is in Italian. Six of us went together and each ordered something different. Lots of sampling what others ordered and it was all just amazing. The next trip, we each ordered yet another dish. Every one was special. Andrea went of his way to take excellent care of us. Suzanna, the chef (actually, I think, the whole kitchen staff) came out to talk with us about the restaurant, her grandmother's recipes, and what we had ordered. The restaurant is beautiful and both Suzanna and Andrea created two very special evenings we will remember for a very long time. I rarely write reviews, but these two very special people deserve the time it takes to thank them.

Date of visit: May 2018