2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$155
Expedia.comUS$155
eDreamsUS$139
TravelocityUS$155
Orbitz.comUS$155
HurbUS$158
Reviews (1 972)
1 972 results
All reviews water slides observation point butterfly garden swim up bar hot springs arenal volcano superior room costa rica hot pools wet bar zip lining horseback riding shuttle service leaf cutter ants spring pools breakfast buffet no wifi in the rooms
Selected filters
365 - 370 of 1 972 reviews
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

First let me say that the hotels pools and gardens are beautiful. The views of the volcano are also amazing.

Despite the great pools and views, One of the water slides is a serious hazard! The pool it drops into is so shallow, it is only a matter of time until someone gets seriously injured with a broken foot.

Second, the hotel rooms here are horrible. The rooms deserve a 2 star rating. The walls give this room a feeling of a bad hostel, the bathroom plumbing requires that you throw all toilet paper in the trash, and the hotel makes you pay if you want a key for the safe.

We arrived early to the hotel and the staff told us they will not check us in until 3pm which is their check in time. However we arrived on a Wednesday in the slow season, there was no one here. The hotel staff could have found us a room but policy is that no checking in before 3.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 756ethanw
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I are regular visitors, at least 2 or 3 times per year for the last 6 years, we just love this place!
This time the experience was different for 2 main things: the wet bar pool was just unbearable to stay, not sure if because of the environment heat or the pool being just way too hot but we couldn't stay more than 10 min without feeling my head about to explode and my feet burn, didn't happen in the past... we did mentioned to the guys in the bar, as the temperature can be controlled, but that didn't change. The next day was cooler but still hotter than usual, you lost our wet bar drinks money this time and maybe some others!
Then the quality of the food in the restaurant and the drinks at the wet bar we can tell has changed, the lunch and dinner buffet need some improvement.
Also it really disappointed me how much plastic you waste, we asked if there was any recycling method as in the bar all you use is plastic, plastic and more plastic and the answer was not... please do something about this :(
Besides this, rooms, view, etc beautiful as usual but I might be exploring some other options next time.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank silenym
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Best customer service I've ever experienced. Great food and the place itself is AMAZING!
I stayed an entire weekend and I honestly couldn't find any downside, everything was perfect ( coming from someone who travels a lot ).

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We stayed at Los Lagos for two nights in August and It was really a lot of fun. It has knockout views of the Arenal volcano. Our room was large and the beds were very comfortable. When I think of resorts, the mega resorts of Mexico come to mind, with a gazillion people, music blaring at the pool, and an obnoxious DJ. Los Lagos fortunately, had none of that. With an abundant supply of hot water, there are many pools varying in temperature from 78 deg. F to 100 deg F. There a re a number of water slides that are really fun, and several zip lines as well. There are nature exhibits for frogs, butterflies, fish, and crocodiles. The restaurant has a very good breakfast buffet, and the service is excellent. Los Lagos is a great place for photography, especially early in the day. Walk around the tilapia pond for great shots of the volcano reflected in the water. Zoom in for tight shots of butterflies, frogs, and birds.

Since Los Lagos is located on the slopes of the volcano, it can be a bit of a climb back up to your room from the restaurant and pools. There are shuttle buses that are available at all times to help you get around, but we didn't need them.

Los Lagos is a very good place to stay with lots of activities for adults and kids We would definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2017

This hotel is in a beautiful setting with beautiful grounds. Stayed with my family and there were pros and cons. If I could give a 3.5 star rating I would
Pros -
setting and views
Pool and hot springs
Swim up bar
I had the absolutely best massage I've ever had in the Spa...if you go you must have one

Cons -
WIFI only in reception and it was slow. Not even in pool or bar area
Rooms up the hill are a very steep walk; shuttle usually came quickly but had to wait over 20minutes on 2 occasions
Food OK but nothing special
Although the grounds were spectacular there was something a bit fake about all the plastic trimmings....felt unnecessarily tacky for such a lovely setting...as if it was a Disney resort trying to look like it was in a beautiful part of Costa Rica...but wait, it already is!
Biggest offputting thing was the 'only one trip to the buffet'' rule in the contract you have to sign at the beginning. What a perverse and unwelcoming thing! One that makes people likely to take more food and pile plate up leading to food wastage. I would really suggest they abandon it and see if it costs any more...I bet it doesn't, but it certainly costs customer goodwill, and slightly alienated me from the start.

Room tip: Higher up rooms have beautiful views, lower down closer to pool etc.
Date of stay: August 2017