“Good chicken Sopa”
Review of Soda El Rio

Soda El Rio
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We dropped in here on a Sunday lunch hour with the restaurant full of locals and a few of us chicos lined up outside. How can anything be bad if the locals swarm the place? And nothing was bad, except having to wait to get our soup because it was so full and the huge table beside us just got their order in before ours. Tastes like grandma's home made soup with more chicken than we expected, Couldn't finish it! Ambience was great and noisy with everybody talking at once, service was given with a smile and the food lived up to expectations. Everybody else seemed very happy with their meals as well and the prices were better for Fortuna (but this is a Soda, and prices here are higher than in Samara).

Reviewed 14 February 2018

This is a great little restaurant to stop into for some authentic Costa Rican food. Menu has options for everyone, service was good and cost was affordable.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Went for breakfast. I really like whole black beans so often ask for a side at meals. These were the best. Well seasoned. Overall good breakfast.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Had the rice with shrimp. Wasn’t too bad, kind of typical Asian fare that felt like American Asian dinner. Had more rice and less shrimp, served with fries. Husband had burger which was not good. Frozen pattie pretty basic. If you are in the mood for a burger, go to the ironically named “Taco’s” next door which is in fact a burger place.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

I do not like to comment negatively as I believe it is important to see the good things in life and criticizing is not my cup of tea, however today I must share my experience as it can save you some frustration. I have been going to this soda for over 10 years every time I am in town (2-3 times a year) and I have watched this small family business grow and I like to support it so I visited them for lunch again yesterday. This time (as always) I asked for a "casado" which is the fastest and easiest meal to go for if you are in a hurry and hungry so I asked for one with fish. It took 45 minutes to get served and when it was served the fish came RAW so for the long wait and the little uncooked surprise I decided not to eat my lunch and gave my opinion (in a very educated manner) and offered to pay my bill anyways. I was told by the owner (who was a humble girl just a few years ago) that she watched my tantrum all along and it is not her fault that there were some takeaway food being prepared before my meal was "ready"...and that I should chill out and sit patiently until my food was served. In my humble opinion if you are the owner of a business you should try to satisfy your clients instead of offending them. Instead of making excuses and telling your client that they are throwing a fit like a kid does not help you become successful, listening to your clients opinions (even if you do not agree at the moment) and trying to improve does! So with all due respect, this was the very last time I visited these guys and if you read this, you should think twice before you step foot in this place too!