US$179
Reviews (1 762)
1 763 results
1 224
1 224
All reviewsthe executive loungecorner roomfloor lobbypeople's parknanjing roadhotel is centrally locatedplatinum memberfabulous hoteltop floorbreakfast buffet islocation is excellentbusiness tripshopping areafitness centersubway stationchinese restaurantbusiness hotel
586 - 591 of 1 763 reviews
Reviewed 27 September 2015

I stayed in this hotel every time I had my business trip to Shanghai. And every time I used their facilities, hot Jacuzzi pool in the changing room and their sauna etc., nothing had ever happened, until my recent stay in August. The sign said 40C as usual. Cos I had used it many times, I didn't check the temperature before I put my feet in. What happened next? My feet got burnt! It was set at 62C instead of 40C as they stated on the sign! I quickly jumped out and jumped into the cold pool next to the hot pool to cool them down but it didn't help so I hobbled to the shower and used that water there but it didn't help either. My feet were red at that time. I saw a staff and asked her 'are you sure the temperature of the pool is 40C?!' I showed her my feet.

She made a call to someone. I had no idea what she said and then she ran out to get some ice. I had to wait in the changing room for minutes and I couldn't walk because my soles were burnt! and I remember I had to use the phone there to ask her to come back to help me.

She and some other staff and first aid staff came in to look at my feet and suggested me to put my feet in the cold pool again to cool them down. The engineer came to check the pool. I could still see the steam coming out of that pool. One of the staff suggested me to go to the hospital. I requested them to pay for the medical bills but he said, 'if it is our hotel's fault, we will pay for that. but I need to write a report to the management and let them decide.' If?! I pointed at the hot pool and said, 'you think it is not your hotel's fault?! My feet got burnt because of that! and look at your sign - it says 40C! I come here almost every night!' (I stayed at their hotel for 3 weeks almost every time I went to Shanghai) The other staff said the hotel would pay for the medical bills but that guy still insisted on waiting for the decision from the management.

Two hotel staff escorted me to a local hospital. They said it was the best in Shanghai for this kind of case. The doctor only looked at my feet from a distance (she was standing up while I was sitting down and had my feet on the floor). She said all I needed was cold wet towels wrapped on my feet for the night. No cream, no gel, no medication was given to me.

I wasn't satisfied of course. My feet were still burning hot after being soaked in the hotel's cold pool for 20 mins!

The hotel staff escorted me back to my hotel room and prepared some cold wet towels for me and showered my feet for 20 mins again. (It was around 2am already. I was extremely tired.) But my feet were still burning hot. The heat underneath my skin was unbearable. I was woken up a few times that night. I didn't have a good night's sleep at all.

Imagine a kid jumped into that pool, what would happen? The whole body of the kid, the skin, the face, eyes, nose, ears, lips, would all be burnt!

Upon my request, the hotel staff escorted me to another private American hospital the next day and they paid the medical bills.

I appreciate the help from the staff (they helped me with the translation at the local hospital as well). But this kind of accident should NOT have happened in the first place! It was Negligence!

Some of the staff were very caring while some, apparently have never been trained to deal with this kind of situation.

Apart from the above, other reasons why I give this rating include:
- I found a 'clean' towel with sticky things on it. Make sure you check them before you use them.
- bed sheets were not too clean - spots and some were concealed by white 'concealer'.
- my room smelled funny starting from the second week I stayed there. I still have no idea what that smell was. The smell kind of faded away after I turned the fan of the air conditioner to 'high' and very low temperature. I could also smell the smoke in the lift lobby. I complained about it to the staff. My floor was a non-smoking floor.
- I was bitten by fleas / insects whatever. They apparently need to vacuum clean the room more carefully.
- good thing is some of the staff were caring as I said and polite. But in general, some of them assume you can understand Chinese and start talking to you in Chinese when they see that you look Chinese.
- One of the staff at the reception was very impatient when I tried to speak Chinese (because it was too slow for her). She quickly passed my case to another staff at the reception when another customer approached the desk. She then started to serve that customer who stayed at their hotel for 60 days consecutively (like their VIP that kind). That happened before my accident. I had cumulatively stayed at their hotel for that amount of time too. Shouldn't they treat every customer equally?
- good things about this hotel: location, food was ok, i still like the indoor swimming pool.

If I could choose, I'd rate this hotel between 'poor' and 'average'.

After that accident, I had nightmares about the safety of the hotel. Seriously, it was that bad. and I am not the kind of person who gets stressed easily.

*Warning: test the temperature of the water before you get into the hot Jacuzzi pool

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square!

Thank you for taking time to speak with me on the telephone. I appreciate your time and concerns. As discussed, please feel free to contact me at any time if we can be of service going forward.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 27 September 2015

I chose here because of the outside pool as we wanted some chill time at the end of a busy touring holiday in China. Not many decent hotels have outside pools so we were limited in choice. This cost a bit more than I was planning on paying but it was worth every penny. First of all this is one of the tallest buildings on it's side of the river. The lobby is on the 38th floor and our room was on the 51st. It goes up to about 60 floors. The views over Shanghai and the famous skyscrapers of Pudong were absolutely out of this world. The bedroom we had was enormous with huge windows overlooking all of Shanghai. The service and food and bars in the hotel were excellent and the staff really helpful with booking restaurants for us and writing addresses in Chinese for us so we could get around by taxi.The swimming pool was lovely - about 7 floors up on a side annex to the hotel. Lovely pools (inside and out) with officially the comfiest sun beds I have ever been on ! Location is great, walkable to the Bund if you wanted.

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor possible although they would all have good views !
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanetteP1968
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2015

Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square!

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you and your partner were able to completely relax during your stay with us. I am glad you took advantage of our sun deck and indoor and outdoor swimming pools! It also sounds like you enjoyed a good number of excellent dining venues around the city.

We hope for an opportunity to welcome you back to Shanghai. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any point going forward!

Reviewed 24 September 2015

This hotel exceeded our expectations in accommodations ,location, service , knowledge of the English language, cleanliness and in house dining experience. We would with out any doubt stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Request a corner room you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy B
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2015

Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square!

Thank you for staying as a couple in our hotel. We are delighted to have contributed to your travel experience!

I am glad you had an opportunity to enjoy one of our best Corner View rooms. Certainly, this room type offers a fantastic view of the city.

We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 September 2015

Excellent business hotel at the best location in Shanghai. Quiet and comfortable rooms, very good restaurants and bars, luxurious environment. 5 minutes walking distance to Pedestrian shopping street . The great service and the professional staff made me to return there 6 times during the last 3 years.

Stayed: August 2015
2  Thank Peter B
MWardrop, Director of Guest Relations at JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Warm greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square!

Thank you for taking time to publically share your experiences in our hotel. We have enjoyed welcoming you on a number of occassions during the past few years!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if we can make any special preparations for your next visit. See you again soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2015 via mobile

We often stay here for business. The hotel occupies the top half of an office bldg in Tomorrow Square, so the lobby is on the 30th floor. They have a great executive lounge which is fully stocked (a lot of Marriotts are cutting way back and doing this perk on the cheap).
The location is in a great part of the city with a new and eclectic vibe. A short cab ride to the Bund.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank flyboy64

Greetings from JW Marriott Shanghai at Tomorrow Square!

We are delighted to be your 'top choice' among hotels in Shanghai. It sounds like you take advantage when you stay with us of our central location nearby to the Bund.

Our team in the Executive Lounge looks forward to continuing to provide enhanced and personalized service upon your return!

Thank you for your review.