“We were ripped off Its a tourist trap”

Central Craft Cottage Industries
Ranked #210 of 224 Shopping in New Delhi
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Will never visit CCCI again Be aware and study your purchases before paying. We bought coasters, were told by the salesman they were marble...the inlay flowers were stuck on and after wiping them down a few just crumbled and sure they were made of soap stone.

Date of experience: November 2017
in 2 reviews
"carpet"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Mr Gupta pressure sold me fake opals at an exhorbitant price. I am in the process of negotiating a 75% refund with assistance from Amex. He hung up on me ringing India from Australia. Our small group was brought to this shop by a driver. We did not want to be there and I was suffering a fever at the time. I feel a fool for being scammed but their unscrupulous actions need to be reported as widely as possible in all forms of media. DO NOT purchase from this fraudulent merchant.

Date of experience: May 2017
3  Thank Deirdre B
Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

People are paid to bring you to CCCI. Tuk tuk drivers, private guides, people on the street. They pose as friendly helpers but they are not. They misrepresent the destination and tell you they are recommending a popular shopping area that you would recognize from guide books and they lie and tell you the place you really want to go to is closed. Remember, they are posing as friendly helpers. When you resist or try to walk away, they get in your face and get aggressive. We were approached 3 times in two days. We had people follow us. We had tuk tuks follow us. All to get us to cave in and go. At one point I actually felt threatened as the guy started raising his voice and insisting that I follow him. But it was the misrepresentation by a private driver that we had started to trust that finally got us in the door. Inside the staff is persistent and follow you around. We found the place really junky and dirty and left as quickly as we could. There is another place in the vicinity with a similar name which gets amazing reviews so I guess the goal is to keep you from going there. Shame on me for not being smarter but hopefully you will be.

Date of experience: April 2017
4  Thank DHHWWH
Reviewed 10 April 2017

It is a tourist trap. Many rikscha drivers get a commission to bring you there. They all claim that this is an official,state driven institution. Be careful.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank Mupf2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 February 2017

Good prices. You are approached with the usual high pressure Indian style, but they had some nice products. I took a chance and bought a gorgeous carpet without my wife even in the country. She couldn't tell by the photo I sent to her, but I bought it. It arrived in perfect shape and she LOVED it. Is it genuine? Who knows? Who cares? In India maybe it was made by his grandmother working on her knees for 18 years, or maybe not. You like it, you buy it. They had many great products here==also bought a set of black Star of India which were pretty cheap. Our jeweler we trust here at home said it was genuine, sterling silver and well mounted pieces. No duty on arrival as he valued the rug at $400. Those guys are clever!

Date of experience: January 2017