“Lots of art to suit different tastes”

Art Museum of Montenegro
Ranked #11 of 35 things to do in Cetinje
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I went here as part of a combined ticket for all the museums in Cetinje.
The staff there seemed still to have a communist idea of service - or lack of it.
However, despite that I enjoyed the art gallery tremendously. I think I spent at least an hour there and could have spent far longer had I had more time.
There are no internationally known artists there, but some local artists have imitated Magritte and Dali and I found that fascinating.
I could even understand quite a lot of the modern art there!

Reviewed 28 December 2016

The city itself has a different spirit and is one of my favourite sites in the country.This museum is one of the museums you can visit with the joint ticket for 10 Euros. You must spare enough time for this museum as each single piece of art deserves this. I am not an art specialist but I enjoy it a lot each time I visit it. The cronological order of the artworks take you through a journey in time.

Reviewed 7 June 2016

It is interesting to see the local versions of various major art movements in the late 19th and the 20th century. The famous icon is kept in a very dark room and it is barely visible.

Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

I knew very little about modern art from this region but I found this museum to be really interesting and full of engaging pieces. I very much enjoyed it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 October 2015

On the second floor of the National Museum, the Art Museum is very good. A great exhibit of candid photos of the Montenegrin Royal family taken late 1800s by a royal princess. After that, Yugoslav and Montenegrin classic art, a fabulous icon of Our Lady of Phileremo, and Modern and Contemporary artists. It was a treat and we really enjoyed it. It's bigger than it looks.