5 people are viewing this hotel
Booking.comUS$58
HurbUS$62
Reviews (1 159)
1 159 results
All reviews vila gale beautiful pool staff was friendly and helpful nice hotel central location recommend staying here great shower spacious room pool bar excellent breakfast lapa mariana nightlife rio brazil copacabana metro
Selected filters
5 - 10 of 1 159 reviews
Reviewed 3 February 2020

A strange transition from the colonial entrance and its classic lobby to the tranquil garden pool hidden just behind the main building. The rooms in the modern high rise building at the other end of the pool are spacious and very comfortable for a down-town hotel. Great breakfast with a friendly chef to prepare your favorite fried eggs in the morning. An outside pool bar to relax at the the end of the day. I usually stay in Copacabana when in Rio, but this hotel is much better value for money and being right next to Lapa there's plenty of bars and restaurants in the direct vicinity of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Rio!

Room tip: The standard rooms are of great quality.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank 365sjoerd
VilaGaleHotels, Gerente at Vila Gale Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2020

Dear Client, We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Vila Galé Rio de Janeiro. Sincerely,

Reviewed 2 February 2020 via mobile

We stayed for one night and it has been pleasant. Staff was friendly and helpful, the food (breakfast and dinner buffet where average but convenient)

Wifi is pretty slow, no proper coffee at the buffet only filter brew (seemingly standard in Brazil), the orange juice smelled chemical and wasn’t drinkable.

Good for a short stay but don’t come here for long!

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank stanwich

Reviewed 1 February 2020

The hotel is nice and comfortable, however I felt incredibly scammed by the hotel employees. At checking in, I was told that I had to pay an extra amount (app. 15%) for 'taxes'. However, my booking confirmation clearly said that my payment was with all taxes and indemnities included. I tried to explain to the hotel staff, and in the end they accepted that I did not wanted to pay the extra amount. Later I found out that they try to charge the amount as "tax", but it is in fact an optional tip (for which purpose is completely unclear, since all the staff did was checking me in?). Although this could be a misunderstanding, the scam continued during check out. A (different) staff member told me that he saw in his system that I was not willing to pay the extra amount, but nevertheless asked me to sign a receipt, which he told me stated "that I did not want to pay the amount". The form was completely in Portuguese without translation. However, I understood the Portuguese text which said that the amount would be paid from my creditcard after signing the form. Meanwhile the staff member told me with a straight face that my signature meant that I did not had to pay the amount and that the signature was only for their internal accounts!

I have never experienced such a sneaky and unprofessional tourist scam in a decent hotel. The whole experience made my stay (of 1 night) very unpleasant.

Room tip: The rooms are very noisy, the area is unsafe in the evening
2  Thank 760ingem
Reviewed 7 January 2020

Great find in Rio, area is a bit on the edge but for me much better than staying in Copacabana or Ipanema.
The pool is amazing but the service is even better.
I really recommend for couple and anyone trying to relax in the beautiful Rio

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cancelon.com
2  Thank 752lucianog
VilaGaleHotels, Gerente at Vila Gale Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2020

Reviewed 3 January 2020 via mobile

Good overall experience starting from check in. We had an infant and they went out of the way to make our stay pleasant. There is language barrier but it's not a complain but an awareness for everyone reading this. It is rio and english is not their first language so download a translation app on your phone before coming here If you don't speak their language. Food is great. Pool is beautiful. Wish we had more time to spend at the hotel. Area is safe. We walked around at night and just make sure to watch what you are wearing and carrying on your hand while walking the streets. Highly recommend this hotel

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank KingpinS
VilaGaleHotels, Gerente at Vila Gale Rio de Janeiro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020