Reviews (2 690)
2 690 results
1 432
1 432
All reviews porto bay hotel rooftop pool copacabana beach christ the redeemer top floor sparkling wine overlooking the beach excellent hotel panoramic view beach service flip flops sugar loaf corner room sugarloaf mountain welcome drink our honeymoon breakfast buffet
18 - 23 of 2 690 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights, plus an additional night, at the end of our cruise holiday.

Disembarkation was early and upon arrival at the hotel, we were told our room wouldn’t be ready until at least 2pm, which we’d expected so that was fair enough.
When we returned to check in, all we wanted to do was get a couple of hours sleep before going out for the night.
No chance!
The walls are paper thin; we could hear every conversation up and down the corridor and to make matters worse, our room was directly opposite the lifts (see photo), so we had the noise of people in and out of them too.
After an hour, I gave up trying to sleep and went to ask reception if they had a different room as this one (607) was just too noisy.
I was told the hotel was fully booked but they could move us 2 floors up but the room (807) would be the same; still opposite the lifts. This seemed pointless. I was told all the rooms were next to the lifts so there wasn’t really anywhere else to go.
On the second night, we were jolted awake around 3am by the sound of an angle grinder. This seemed to go on for ages but we did finally manage to get back to sleep.

After 2 nights, we checked out as we had booked a trip to Iguazu falls, but we were booked back into PortoBay after our trip.
This time we were in room 705, not quite as close to the lifts, but still as noisy. The door to the room I’m sure is made of cardboard; there is no soundproofing whatsoever.
We got to bed around 10.30pm but were rudely awakened around 2.30am by the sound of hammering. By 3am I’d had enough, so went down to reception to complain about the noise and sleep disruption.
I was told that they were doing an ‘emergency repair’ in the dining room (which was on the 5th floor); the guy seemed surprised that I could hear it. Well I certainly wouldn’t be wandering around the hotel in my nightie at 3am if I couldn’t!
To be fair, he radioed whoever was making the noise and it all went quiet again until about 5am.

This is the worst quality sleep I’ve ever experienced in a hotel, and I’ve travelled a lot.

Other than sleep quality (or lack of), the hotel amenities are generally good.
The location is perfect and there are some nice views from the rooftop bar of both Sugarloaf and Christ the Redeemer.
We should have had breakfast on our last morning in the hotel but ended up sleeping in to make up for being disturbed in the early hours.

There are only 2 lifts and they are painfully slow and quite small.

Our rooms both had a balcony with a side sea view and were a decent size. Bathroom was also a good size with a nice range of toiletries.

We are also grateful to the hotel for allowing us to keep our bags in storage whilst we visited Iguazu Falls; that made our overnight trip much easier.

If you’re a night owl, then this place could be perfect for you. However, if you value your sleep, stay somewhere else. Rio airport runway maybe?!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PortobayRI, Gerente de recepção at PortoBay Rio de Janeiro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry that your stay did not match your expectations. However, we hope that you will allow us to regain your confidence on your next stay with the PortoBay group, when we shall be entirely at your disposal!
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The rooms are adequate, though not well sound-proofed, but the location of the hotel makes it a winner: right by Copacobana beach, close to a Metro station and all kinds of restaurants and cafes. The staff are very friendly and work hard. The roof-top pool/bar is superb.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for the time you spent giving us your opinion of your experience at our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for three nights while visiting Rio. Room size was good, the hotel is clean and very comfortable. Staff are very friendly, they helped book all the tours. They have a great selection of breakfast buffet. The hotel is close to the beach, and only 50R one way ride to the international airport.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Chloebebe

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments and we hope to be able to see you again in the near future.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Right on the Copacabana beach, and easy walk to many restaurants, the location can’t be beat. The hotel feels newish. Our room, 1108, was smallish but comfortable with a very modern bath, small fridge and tv. Our terrace looked into another building, with a partial view of the beach.
The included breakfast is a generous and varied spread in a dining room with wonderful beach views. A rooftop terrace has a small pool, nice lounges and terrific views. The bar there is especially nice for an evening drink, and amazing sunset views. Staff were all friendly and helpful. We would gladly stay here again. The only downside is the slow elevators.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing the PortoBay Rio de Janeiro hotel for your stay in Rio. We were very pleased to read your message about our hotel and team. Your comments are very valuable for us and for our future guests.
We look forward to having you back again!
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Positives

They rooms on the upper levels have the most amassing side sea views of Copacabana beach e.g floors 17 to 19. Rooms are very spacious and clean and the balcony is a big plus. The rooms are cleaned daily and on time. The hotel also hands out chocolates at night and tidies up you room, this is in my view was a good touch.

Breakfast is what you expect from a 4 star hotel , excellent and they even provide champagne. The restaurant where breakfast is severed has the most amazing views of Copacabana beach

The rooftop bar and pool area, note its not a pool in the normal sense of the word but a gig Turkish /Jacuzzi functioning a pool. The gentleman on the roof top bar is extremely friendly and makes the most amassing drinks. There is also two steam rooms on the 20 floor , which I enjoyed using.

The staff a generally well versed in English and very friendly and helpful.

Negatives
They do to provide coffee in the room only tea. A price list of the goodies in the mini bar was also not provided. The normal information about the hotel e.g internal numbers, facilities available ect was also not in the room (1907).

I had a steak at the in house restaurant, which in my view was not up to standard and a little expensive. I do however presume their other dishes are nice.

Also stay clear from drawing money from the ATM of the forth floor. I paid more in commission and conversion fees that I paid when drawing money at a local Bank's ATM.

Drinks and food a prices at the hotel and that to be expected.

All in all this is an amasing hotel and I will book it again on my return to Rio

Room tip: Ask from room away from the lifts and on upper floors
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and comments. It was a great pleasure to welcome you to PortoBay Rio de Janeiro.
We were pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards,