5 people are viewing this hotel
US$98
Free cancellation until 21/06/26
US$120
Free cancellation until 21/06/27
Reserve now, pay at stay
Trip.com
2 226
1 018
2 226
1 018
All reviews rooftop pool corner room sugarloaf mountain breakfast buffet christ the redeemer excellent hotel concierge desk great view of the beach the executive lounge sugar loaf high floor beach front the location is perfect beach service late check pools windsor
Selected filters
6 - 11 of 3 743 reviews
Reviewed 8 April 2021

I used to be a guest at the legendary Le Meridien years back and, after a considerable time away from Brazil, and stuck here due to the pandemic travel bans, I was really excited to know that that spot had been refurbished some years ago and it became part of the Hilton chain. So, needless to say, I thought it was a win-win situation: revisiting sweet memories of one of the best hotels in Rio during its time and now spending a few nights at one of my go-to hotel chains worldwide (as I am also part of the Hilton Honors program)... What could go wrong, right?

Well, turns out that several things went wrong and, in spite of my initial excitement, I was not really impressed with several aspects of the service in this stay and that was a major bummer in many ways.

Starting with the breakfast buffet: aside from the long and slow lines almost every day (I blame it on the "quality" of tourists at the time... Definitely far from being the best ones, since there was a huge group of both Brazilians and Eastern Europeans who seemed not to know the basics of good manners overall - both to staff and guests), there was basically scrambled eggs, bacon and cold cuts as savory options every single day (I currently do not eat bread / pastries nor cereals nor waffles, so I was expecting hearty eggs and sausages at least as options). In my very first morning there, I saw one of the cooks coming and going replacing buffet items and I had politely greeted him (with just a really dry reply from his side, as if I was a major inconvenience for interrupting his workflow) and asked if there was any sausage that could be prepared so I could pair them with the scrambled eggs available (not a fan of bacon), to which he bluntly answered "No." (what a nice and friendly staff... Wow). Again, that was my first day of breakfast there and all that put me off so much that I seriously considered having it somehow outside the hotel the next days.

On a side note, after this poor first impression, I decided to have a look at the room service breakfast menu for the next days, so maybe there would be some better and more substantial protein options worth the extra service / tray fee: nope. Literally the same options from the breakfast buffet (again no sausages at all, nor even some poached eggs or eggs Benedict (present in several other Hilton Hotels that I visited before so I was quite disappointed with that too).

Another negative point was the rooftop swimming pool, small and packed every single time I tried to go there, with murky / cloudy water as a consequence of the heavy (and - given the type of guests at the time - maybe improper) use. Unfortunately, the same category of tourists from the breakfast also took over the very few reclining chairs available, using them for their kids to sleep on it for hours (!!!), meaning guests like me, who wanted to use the chairs for their real purpose, sunbathing during the morning (duh!), had to find somewhere else for that going all the way down to the 4th floor (that, in a couple of days there, had some maintenance going on somewhere on the side of the building that spread dust everywhere on its pool area... It even triggered my sinus infection after a few hours of exposure) and have some sunbathing in the not recommended afternoon hours (we were really unlucky to check-in on the very first day of a sort of a services restriction in the city in order to curb the high local COVID rates - which also prohibited hotel service on the beach - so we preferred to just use the pool area then), as the sun just shines on the 4th floor just from 1pm onwards.

It is important to highlight that there was no staff at all controlling the use of the reclining chairs on the rooftop (despite the many bar servers circling back and forth and one lifeguard available all the time), which was unfair to other guests like me, who wanted to enjoy the rooftop pool surroundings during the morning, instead of using it as an accessory for their children to sleep on it (some people were literally having to stand still whilst waiting for the unfazed "mommies" around to remove their children from said chairs - something that I did not see happening whilst I was there, in all honesty). If such guests have no common sense to realize that a small pool area with very few sunbathing spots available is not the place for their children to sleep, then the hotel staff should point that out somehow.

The jacuzzi in the spa area was dirty and with murky / cloudy waters (again). It completely put me and my brother off as soon as we used it for the first time (and the last one, for sure) and we jumped out of the water and went for a shower in our suite right after, as it was truly disgusting (please see attached pictures).

Also one day, between the spa and the rooftop pool floors, whilst we were waiting for the guests' elevator, my brother and I got surprised to see a man inside of it with 2 big and full trash bins (and also the whole smell that lingers around with it). He just stares at us and proceeds to go down, to which we give up and take the stairs instead. Surprisingly, sometime after we hit the rooftop floor, the same guy is out there to collect more filthy trash containers and take them to the very same elevator... Again. What an absolutely unsanitary procedure is that? Were there no specific service elevators for these containers to be carried around? Both of us were appalled with it and we find it hard to believe that no staff in the area saw this, as this specific man was freely walking back and forth with the containers for everyone to see, in the same path we were taking from the elevator to the rooftop pool area, during one of the peak hours (between noon to 1pm). Totally disgusting, to say the least.

Another not really nice point was one of the phone attendants (Glaucia), who was overall unpleasant in her tone whenever I got her to answer my calls (it came to a point in which I was praying for anyone else to pick up but her). Nothing horrendous, however it was not the tone you expect to hear from an attendant in a 4-5 star hotel (something like me saying "Good morning, Glaucia, how are you today?" to which she replied: "Yes, how can I help you?" WTH... lol). One particularly unusual thing that happened was on my last day there, when I called asking if it was possible to know the brand of the honey they used (because it was really good and we wanted to get it back home) and she replies with one clueless: "We are not allowed to inform the product brands used at the hotel". Seriously? I have stayed in more 5-star hotels than I can count worldwide and never had such answer whenever I wanted to know some simple info like that, so that was a first in many ways, especially at a Hilton's.

Overall I do understand we are in very weird times (to say the least) thanks to this neverending pandemic, with some people somehow behaving in an equally weird manner and lacking basic social skills, however, this is not an excuse for poor service and lack of hygiene, even less in a hotel like this one. And for that, I really feel the need to highlight everything in hopes that it will be improved for the love of the next guests ASAP.

Now for the good parts of our stay, I wish to sincerely thank some of the great staff I had the pleasure to meet whilst I was there:

- José (pool bar bartender on the 4th floor during my stay): since I had to fully give up on the rooftop pool and its bar for all the reasons stated above, the pool area and bar on the 4th became my safe haven for a quiet morning and afternoon swim and great drinks provided by him (his Margaritas are seriously to die for!). Jose was exceptionally friendly, polite and went above and beyond in order to serve and make us feel comfortable and, I dare saying, home. Top bloke and we wish we can meet him again if we ever decide to return at some point;

- Renato, Patricia and Bruno (all three reception staff): with truly good and distinctive service and politeness, they all helped me with my requests and doubts and also went above and beyond to make me feel at ease and happy there.

Kudos to these four awesome staff members! They were one of the big reasons for me to extend my stay there for almost one week more and I wish I had stayed a bit more, in all honesty, despite the considerable negative parts.

1  Thank therealcoliver
Alina Arroyo, Guest Services / Front Office at Hilton Rio De Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2021

Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for the time dedicated to give us this detailed feedback with your valuable impression regarding your last stay with us.
We are deeply sorry for not been able to be up of your expectation in so many basic aspects like the variety of the breakfast and the sanitary procedures to carry the trash bins. Rest assured I will share all this information with the managers in charge because the points described do not reflect the kind of service we usually provide at the Hotel and some actions have to be taken immediately to avoid that situations like the ones you described at the pool of the rooftop, the jacuzzis at the spa, or the service at the phone could happen again with other guests in the future. I sincerely appreciated the time you took to bring all those issues to our attention.
Also, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the compliments to José, Renato, Patricia and Bruno. They are really outstanding and we are very proud for having them in our team.
Please, take care, be safe and if it is possible, give us a second chance to provide you a win-win experience for the next time.

Reviewed 27 March 2021

This hotel is amazing place to stay. The service and the help that they offer is super. On my next trip I’ll definitely stay at this place. My thanks to the hotel staff for making my stay a great experience.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank 240traveller33
Alina Arroyo, Guest Services / Front Office at Hilton Rio De Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2021

Dear Guest:
We are really glad to know that our team was able to provide a wonderful stay for you! Thanks for your nice feedback and for the kind compliment to our staff. We hope to see you back anytime in your new HOME in Brazil: The Hilton Copacabana Hotel.
Have a lovely Sunday!
Best regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2021 via mobile

Just got back from a 6 day trip in Rio. All I have to say is that this Hilton is one of the best I have ever stayed. From the moment I check to the moment I checked out this was Top Notch. The staff members were ALL amazing. Starting with Alina, Patricia, Renato and Bruno at the front desk. The staff at the pool bar and restaurant were so pleasant and welcoming. With the situation of Covid, they are extra clean and vigilenat on taking precautions. I have traveled to many places around the world and this has been one of the best and now has become one of my favorites!

The views from the room I had was spectacular (2618). I will definitely be heading back to my new home away from home.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ilove305
Alina Arroyo, Guest Services / Front Office at Hilton Rio De Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2021

Dear Mr. Hernández,
We are absolutely delight to know that our team was able to provide such a perfect experience. Thank you very much for your nice feedback and your kindly words to our team members Alina, Patricia, Renato, Bruno and the staff at the rooftop. I also appreciated your comments about the action we are taking in order to preserve the health of our guests in this period of global pandemic.
It was a very big pleasure to host you with us and we are already waiting the opportunity to receive you again in your NEW HOME in Rio de Janeiro: the Hilton Copacabana Hotel
Have a wonderful weekend!
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2021 via mobile

I would like to high-line the professionalisms of the staff from this hotel.
We stayed 10 days in January. Everything was perfect.
Thanks to Anais for her friendship and professionalism, as well at the breakfast and the rooftop.

We had to come back this March for an imperial reason (borders locked from France).

The whole staff from the reception made us have some facilities regarding our last minute trip.
I would like to thank this staff.

Covid : they have strong sanitary procedure All over the hotel which make your stay very safe.

Once again, booking this Hilton makes your stay a safe option, you can be assure to be surrounded by a professional staff that is going to make your stay a pleasant one.

Cheers.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 464louisb
Alina Arroyo, Guest Services / Front Office at Hilton Rio De Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2021

Dear Guest,
We are absolutely delight to know that our team was able to provide such a nice experience, not one, but twice!
Thank you very much for your kindly words to our staff and the compliment to the special Hotel's actions in order to take care of our guests and team members in this difficult period.
It was a big pleasure to host you with us and we hope to see you back anytime in your new HOME in Rio de Janeiro: The Hilton Copacabana Hotel.
Have a lovely weekend and stay safe!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2021

We weren't able to board our flight to Panama due to not having our yellow fever shot. So we ended up staying at the Hilton for 10 nights which turned out to be a great experience.Our room for the 4 of us was great on the 30th floor. We enjoyed our there and it was a great location for us.

Date of stay: January 2021
2  Thank swifferandQueenbee
Alina Arroyo, Guest Services / Front Office at Hilton Rio De Janeiro Copacabana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2021

Dear Guest,

What a wonderful thing is to receive a feedback like yours. Thank you VERY MUCH for your time and your kind words regarding your experiences with us, even it was unplanned. We hope to receive you again any time in Hilton Copacabana for another wonderful week!

Have a lovely day ahead!