US$121
Hyatt Regency Austin(Austin)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$180
US$171
US$287
US$258
Hilton.com
US$108
US$102
Omni Austin at South Park(Austin)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$157
US$136
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$164/night.

Staybridge Suites Austin Airport(Austin)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$109
Hotel Ella(Austin)
US$220
US$206
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$235/night.

US$148
  • Breakfast included
Reviews (2 226)
2 226 results
1 279
1 279
All reviewsbeautiful historic hoteldriskill barcafe bakerysenate roomclassic hotellive musicsixth streetheart of downtownceiling fanstreet noisehotel barvalet parkingvalet servicevisiting austintexaselevatorlobby
24 - 29 of 2 226 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Do not stay at The Driskill! I stayed at the hotel in room 252 for two nights, and it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I checked in and right away I went to use the restroom. I found an insect on the towel that was displayed on the edge of the bathtub. There was debris on the bathroom floor. There was mold and mildew on the faucet and sink. The faucet was peeling. The drains' in both the bathtub, and the sink, were peeling. After spending the first night in the bed, I woke up with multiple insect bites around my feet and ankles. I also found another insect on the wall in the bathroom. I went to the front desk after I got dressed, and I showed them pictures of everything I have described, and they refunded my first night. After spending another night in the bed, I woke up with additional bites, and my feet were swollen huge. I could barely wear my shoes and almost missed my flight trying to walk through the airport. It took me until December to get my money back for the second night. I filed a claim with the Hyatt which owns The Driskill. I have a small lump on my shin from one of the bites that needs to be removed, and I have pigmented spots from scratching the bites that needed to be treated. The Hyatt has offered me $4000 to settle the claim, which doesn't cover the amount of the surgical estimate to remove the lump, or do the laser treatments and injections. I would not stay at The Driskill. I would be sure to read all the 1 & 2 star reviews on TripAdvisor. Stay at one of the nicer Austin hotels. I am having to hire an Austin attorney.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Chose The Driskill for our 25th anniversary. Very average overall stay. The LBJ Suite was our room...probably really awesome during it's day but now needs to be refreshed and touched-up. Girl at the front desk was borderline snotty at check-in..guess a Columbia fishing shirt, blue jeans and tennis shoes didn't garner "her approval" for a $700+ room... sorta set the tone for the stay. No guest amenities with the suite unless you count the $4 cokes and water in your room so no real advantage to the suite due to lack of concierge items..maybe a complimentary drink at happy hour or complimentary coffee in the morning....but @ $700/night there's no room to pamper the guest. Girl at check-out didn't really appreciate my comments about the morning coffee..well at lest folks in the Cafe were nice.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob M
Karli S, Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Rob, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your cafe experience, but regret we did not wow you with the rest of your time at The Driskill. Many of our guests choose this room due to the architectural design and inspiration from Lady Bird Johnson's love of Texas Bluebonnets seen throughout and in the stain-glass above the bath tub and balcony doorway, which could be seen as an older style of decor. We have taken your feedback about the amenities into consideration for improving our guest experiences. Thank you for your candid review and we hope to welcome you back for an improved stay in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was in Austin for a business meeting and chose the Driskell because my step-father's office was next door when I was a teenager. We ate there often 55 years ago. The hotel has been wonderfully restored / maintained.

The valet experience on arrival was not as good as one might expect. The check in experience was very good but the route to our guest room was circuitous. Our room was very nice and well maintained. The hall and guest room door frames were somewhat scarred.

We ate in the dinning room which was nit as busy as it should have been given the very good service and excellent service. The bar was very busy that evening.

Breakfast in the street level restaurant with historic décor was excellent both as to service and food preparation.

The wait for our car from thee valet when we left was too long.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Jasmine B, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. Thank you so much for choosing to come back to The Driskill after 55 years. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy our dining options. It is our disappointment to hear that you had troubles with valet, we would like to sincerely apologize that your experience with this department was anything less than enjoyable. Please know this is not our standard and the issue will be addressed with our leadership team and staff. Once again thank you so much for returning to The Historic Driskill Hotel. It would be our honor to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

For my first trip to Austin, the Driskill was one of the hotels that offered perks through my favourite online travel agency. Another was the Four Seasons, which I also considered, but it was pricier. Also, we found out when visiting the Four Seasons that it was in the midst of a massive renovation of its 2 public floors--a stay here at this time would have been noisy and inconvenienced.

The Driskill has a great central location on the corner of Brazos St. and 6th St., which has several blocks of restaurants/bars offering live music. I was surprised at the number of homeless folks around the hotel and the downtown area in general. Congress Ave. is 1 block west. This is the street that leads up to the Texas State Capitol, and whose bridge over the river is home to over a million bats who provide a free show nightly in the summer when they fly out en masse seeking food.

The Driskill first opened in 1886, built by cattle baron "Colonel" Jesse Driskill. Austin was voted as Texas' state capitol in 1872, the current Capitol building opened in 1888. In the past 130+ years, the hotel has gone through many good times and bad times. There have been numerous changes in ownership, closures, threats of demolition, renovations. Several state governors had their inaugural balls here, and former President Lyndon B. Johnson had his first date with future wife Lady Bird here. Since 2013, the hotel has been part of Hyatt Hotels' Unbound Collection.

The hotel's lobby is grand, stately and well-preserved, with many visitors/gawkers, including some on Haunted Austin tours (they travel in a converted hearse)--more later on the haunted Driskill. The lobby has entrances off both 6th and Brazos. The 1886 Cafe and Bakery, which actually opened in 2002 in honour of the original 1886 Lunchroom, is on this level. It serves breakfast, lunch and weekend brunch. Our package included breakfast here, see separate review.

The Driskill Bar and Driskill Grill are located half a level up, just beyond the huge portrait of "Colonel" Driskill ("Colonel" was an honourary title). The popular copper-ceiling bar has live music nightly, and a Sunday Blues Brunch in conjunction with famed Antone's Nightclub. Both the food and drink menus looked tantalizing, but alas, we did not try either. Neither did we try the Driskill Grill, partly because it was closed 2 of our 3 nights in Austin. It serves a pretty classic steakhouse menu.

We checked-in on the Saturday of a busy weekend in Austin, so the room upgrade we were eligible for with our package was not available. We were told by Amanda to check back Sunday for upgrade availability. Among other events, the ATX Television Festival was here, with many events held at the historic Paramount Theatre and historic InterContinental Stephen F. Austin Hotel around the corner. Bigger and MUCH noisier was the annual Republic of Texas Biker Rally, which closed down Congress Ave. for a parade on Friday (before our arrival), and closed 6th St. on Saturday, when the street became a showcase for Harleys.

Our first room was in the Tower Wing, a newer wing opened in 1930 that has, I think 9 floors. The Historic Wing has 5 floors, but the 2 wings only connect seamlessly on the mezzanine level; short stairways connect the wings on floors 4 and 5. Not being a fan of ghosts, I had requested a non-haunted room. The corner room with 2 windows had a queen bed. The only chair was the desk chair. The nightstands were cutely designed to look like leather-strapped steamer trunks. I liked how the nightstand lamp bases had electrical outlets and USB port in their bases. There were 2 phones for the compact room. The minibar and fridge were auto-sensored to charge you almost as soon as an item is removed. There was NO complimentary water; water in 2 sizes was part of the minibar/fridge! There was a ceiling fan and white noise machine, which we used to muffle the sound of the Harleys heard even from our far corner. The bathroom was tiny but not lacking in amenities. In the evening, a jar full of earplugs was thoughtfully placed by the 2 elevators.

The next day, Richard and then Veronica were very helpful in getting us a room upgrade. We were offered a choice of rooms beyond the upgrade we were eligible for at a reasonable cost. We ultimately chose one of the four Landmark Suites, all of which are in the Historic Wing and are individually sized and decorated. Ours was on the 5th floor with a terrace on the corner of 6th and Brazos, which would have been the noisiest corner of the hotel the night before. At first, the 5th floor location gave me pause because that is supposedly the hotel's most haunted floor, but in the end there was no paranormal activity for us. The Historic Wing has but 2 slow, small elevators, one of which is supposedly haunted.

The suite was 700+ square feet, with very high ceilings and a four-poster king bed. I frankly liked the decor of our original smaller room better. Here, furniture that was supposed to look antique instead just seemed cheap and worn. And with the suites unique shape and windows, some things just didn't "fit". The small desk was squeezed into a corner that prevented the closed door from being opened fully. There was no desktop lamp or electrical outlet. The huge draped canopy over the bed headboard totally blocked the majority of the historic windows. The nightstands were not cute steamer trunks but small tables that had lamps with NO outlets or ports. The terrace had 2 wicker rocking chairs and a small table. We didn't spend a lot of time on the terrace because of the heat and because a homeless man who lived caddy-corner liked to play his "drums" throughout the day. There was only one phone.
The bathroom, however, was quite impressive--double sinks, filled with marble (including arches over the tub!), a huge shower (big enough for 3 people with 3 heads, although one had no hot water), and an ever huger circular jacuzzi tub which, being from drought-conscious southern CA, we just couldn't bring ourselves to use without pangs of guilt. This being a suite, we were given evening turndown service, which included a yellow rose placed on the bed. Still no free water, though. and a big niggle was when we came back from breakfast at 8:30am to find housekeeping already there. We had to leave and loll about in the lobby until they finished.

Our single experience with room service was subpar. The menu states that meals aside from breakfast are served "to-go" style in take-out containers that can be picked up at the concierge desk or delivered to your room. We placed an order around 9:30 pm with the front desk because no one answered the In-Room Dining button on the phone. Food came an hour later only after we called again. We were given a large paper bag, for which there was still the standard 20+% service charge and delivery charge! As noted, the food came on biodegradable paper plates with plastic covers and plastic cutlery. I wonder how these utensils would work for someone who ordered a steak off the Driskill Grill room service menu?

As for the hotel being haunted, stories abound on the internet, including some involving Colonel Driskill himself. Room 525 seems to have some notoriety (did 2 brides commit suicide in this room 20 years apart to the day?), as does a painting of a young girl holding a bouquet of flowers (is she the daughter of a US Senator who tripped and fell to her death chasing a ball down the grand staircase?). All I know is that the hotel's corridors are lined with hundreds of reproduction oil paintings, some of which are portraits of unknown people who stare at you and follow you with their eyes, like those portraits in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion attraction. When I passed the young girl's portrait, it sent shivers down my spine, and this was before I knew the painting's story. There were some portraits of men with spooky eyes also--we tried to avoid all of them. By our room, there were landscapes only, thank goodness.

Despite the hotel's quirks and niggles, the stay was enjoyable. I've stayed in several historic hotels in the past where, like the Driskill, the historic aspects do not mesh perfectly with 21st century technology or design. And a historic hotel without haunting stories probably does not exist.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Jasmine B, Guest Relations Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello and thank you for sharing your review regarding your first trip to Austin and your very first stay at The Driskill. We are so happy that you chose to stay with us and that you enjoyed the history of our grand property. As you experienced firsthand, there is always something interesting happening in and around the city. Thankfully, you were able to enjoy the amenities in your guestroom that made your stay comfortable, as well as experience two different room types, showcasing that The Driskill is definitely one-of-a-kind. Thank you for letting us know about the decor and functionality of your second guestroom. We would like to apologize that your in-room dining experience was not what we aim for when it comes to the expedient service that we are known for. In our quest to be eco-conscious, we utilize recyclable materials for all in-room dining meals outside of breakfast. I have added notes that you would prefer all meals be served on proper plates and silverware be provided. We will share your review with our leadership committee so that we may address these and allow for better service to our guests in the future.

It is one of our favorite things to hear when guests enjoy their stay and truly appreciate the history of the hotel. Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience with other travelers. We truly hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hubs & I stayed here while in Austin. Our room was one of those newly remodeled. The new decor is lovely and on trend while still maintaining an historical feel. The property is full of history and a true Texas gem. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We would return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Karli S, Manager at The Driskill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Lori and thank you for sharing your kind words about our revitalized guestrooms. We loved incorporating timeless, charming and custom Driskill details into the fresh and modern design. We are delighted you noticed and look forward to serving you in the future. Cheers!