All reviews shower room quiet hours noisy at night bunk curtains sinks shampoo accommodations beds
Reviewed 30 August 2018

I stayed here while I was traveling on a business trip. You can't beat the price!! Very clean, walking distance to the Conference center and close to restaurants and bars. The hostel was very nice and well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

This is almost more like a hotel than a hostel. The interior is very nice and clean and the facilities are great. The curtains by the beds help create a very private sleeping situation. There is a automatic lock for your things that could be hard to fit your things in if you have a very large bag- I had a normal carry on size case so it fit easily. They assign you a bunk before arriving- not first come first serve, so if you really don’t want to be on top bunk, request it when booking. The restaurant was nice and had a good crowd. The only slightly strange thing was that the doors were a mix of frosted and clear glass- so technically someone could be looking in the room, but it really wasn’t a problem for me. Location was okay, but I would have preferred to be in a more populated area since I was traveling alone. There were not many people around, so walking felt uncomfortable sometimes. The area around the hostel is really developing right now so there is a lot of construction.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2018

This hostel is almost a hotel. the bed are really comfortably and you have all the privacy that you need with the curtains. the decoration is awesome and with quiet hours starting at 22:00, you can sleep if you want or party in the common area. Only strange thing is that the bathroom is not totally separated from the room.

Room Tip: the lookers are located under the bed.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2018

Booked an airbnb that didn't match the dates of my flight, oops! Popped over to Native Hostel at the last minute for the last night of my Austin trip. The food and atmosphere at the property are cool and also accessible, and the dorm rooms are well-appointed and have a very train-car kind of vibe. The bunks are given some privacy with the thick velvet curtains. The problem is that the curtains don't allow for air circulation from the A/C, which made them overheat quickly. My other complaint is that the showers are essentially closets and don't allow room or a dry space within the shower room to change clothes... so you'll end up wearing pants with damp footprints along the legs unless you are very, very careful. Overall, a good value for a last minute short stay near EVERYTHING, but next time I would shill out more money (even at the last minute) to stay at a hotel. Even if you "don't spend any time in the room." But hey, I like my pantalets to be dry. That's just the kind of person I am.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I have been staying in private rooms in hostels a lot over the last couple months. Native Hostel in Austin was by far the most expensive and by far the worst. Beyond this hipster cool facade, this hotel is terribly planned out. The private room (#5) was a decent size but the bed took up so much space that you barely had enough room to walk if you brought suitcases. The door to the room is white stained glass which lets in tons of light and makes it extremely difficult to sleep at night, plus there is a spot right in the middle that is not frosted, thus making it easy for someone to come right up and see into your room (I was there with my friend and a guy actually came up to our door and looked in while we changing!! What idiot planned that?). The beds were super uncomfortable, they only give you one pillow each and there was no window, no ceiling fan and no way to regulate the air temperature. I felt like I was in a cave! Plus unlike other hostels, the private rooms were right next to the common areas so if people decide to stay up til 2am talking, you can hear everything. So no privacy even though my room was 250 a night! For a hostel in Austin!

You don't really meet people that are staying there since the bar is so busy and open to the public. I felt more like I was staying in a crappy room in the back of a bar than a hostel. You can hear the music from the bar til they close. This place would have been better had they put the private rooms in a more separate part of the building. Or if they had a second floor. The bar was cool and packed though and had interesting patrons versus the more fratty Rainy and 6th Streets.

Had the cost been more reasonable, I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed. But considering I have stayed in a far better and cheaper private rooms in expensive cities like Stockholm, Tokyo and London, Native just seems like a scam and completely over priced for what you get. Especially including the fact that it isn't in the best neighborhood. Walking at night under a sketchy bridge to get to and from downtown was definitely unnerving for a single female. My aunt came to visit me on Sunday afternoon and was afraid to get out her car in broad daylight.

Might be fun for some folks but next time I am in Austin I would much rather pay a little more and stay in a decent room downtown. And maybe just take an Uber to their bar.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends