“Amazing time”

Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West
Ranked #1 of 61 things to do in Amarillo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West is a Western Heritage attraction located on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon, in Amarillo, Texas- near historic Route 66. We offer horseback riding and other activities that focus on the heritage of the Real West. At our venue, we not only offer horseback riding, but also private chuck wagon meals for groups that includes cowboy entertainment, and a venue to learn about horsemanship, Old West History and also specific history of the Palo Duro Area. In addition, we also offer city tours, route 66 tours, and progressive tours that follow the trails of Cowboys and Indians and the trails leading up to the Santa Fe Trail. Join us and step back in time to the Old West, and experience ranching life in the New West.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had such an awesome time here with my daughter and son In law, We had Sierra and Whitney as guides on our two hour ride.
Beautiful horses, amazing views with lots of information and history about the area too.
We also met Philys the owner who is such a lovely person and I would love to come back here next year when I'm over again.
I also wanted to say that I e-mailed Philys a couple of times from London before my visit and my emails were returned straight away.
I would definitely recommend Cowgirl and Cowboys in the West to anyone.
Be back next year guys and thank you so much for an awesome time.

cowgirlinthewest, Owner at Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Angela,
I am so happy to be able to meet you, after communication with you for a while. We love our international travelers and our guests from Great Britain are particularly joyful! I am delighted by your great review and look forward to your next visit with us. Enjoy the remainder of your time here in the U.S., and safe travels, and ...

Happy Trails,

"beautiful horses"
in 8 reviews
"chuck wagon"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"skill level"
"history lesson"
in 11 reviews
"breathtaking views"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time on our ride with Sierra and Darcy as our guides. Our horses, Whiskey and Doc, were smooth and comfortable. The pace was nice and the views of the canyon were awesome. While riding, we came up on some yearling cattle who moved along in front of us for a little while - it was almost like we were herding cattle! It was an excellent ride on beautiful and well- cared for horses.

Thank you for your great review, Evy, and we are so happy that you had a fabulous time at Los Cedros Ranch - on the Rim of Palo Duro Canyon. We do not have cattle in our guest riding area all of the time, but when we do, you are actually herding cattle!
Thank you again for the great review, and we look forward to your next visit.

Happy Trails,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was an amazing experience and we will for sure be back. So worth it! My wife and have ridden a small amount and are a tiny bit familiar with it. My daughter is six and had never been on a horse. We were all a little apprehensive at first but Whitney and Sierra the guides were absolutely unbelievable with her on the trip. They were very patient, safe, and very good teachers and before the trip was halfway over my daughter was riding comfortably by herself and LOVED riding. Have wanted to bring my girls riding for a while now and it was more than we all wanted. Would have been worth it even without the unimaginable Texan scenery of Palo Duro Canyon and awesome views.

Codyr,

Thank you for the beautiful review of your experience at CowgirlsandCowboysintheWest.com. We pride ourselves in offering a true Texas horseback riding experience like no other. I am so happy that your daughter loved her ride, and that you all had a wonderful time at Los Cedros Ranch, on the rim of the incredible Palo Duro Canyon. We look forward to your next visit. Safe travels, and...

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Make sure you read all of their website before making your reservations. My kids didn’t have pants, it summer in Texas after all (my fault I get it), do they couldn’t ride, and no refund was given, only a credit for future use. Needless to say, I didn’t get in that area to use the offered credit so it looks as if $288 down the drain!!! Disappointed to say the least!!!

1  Thank knowbs72

I am really confused with your poor review, Kenneth- especially since you never set foot on our ranch.
The fact is that you sent me an email in the late hours of the night before your ride (which I read the morning at 6:30 a.m. as we were saddling your horses up) stating that you would not be able to come because your children did not have appropriate attire. I accommodated your request for a credit (for 2 years!). You stated that you came to Amarillo 2 times a year, so this was more than accommodating. Never in your exchange with me did you ASK to come with your children in shorts, you just said YOU WOULD NOT BE COMING - and apologized for your oversight, and the inconvenience to us, numerous times.

But thank you. If this review will encourage people to read where we mention "appropriate attire for safety", I thank you. This is an actual Texas ranch, not Disneyland - where flip flops and short, shorts are the norm. We wear boots, cowboy hats, jeans and attire that is appropriate and safe for riding horses on Texas Land. All we ask of our guests is long pants (so their legs don't get cut by brushy trees or mesquite- common on Texas land), Long sleeves (so you don't get sunburned), and tennis shoes or boots (so your feet fit safely in stirrups). We mention appropriate attire several areas on our website, during the guest research and booking process. (It is not in fine print) We mention all of these things for your safety and it is not a requirement, but highly recommended.

We do look forward to your next visit, within the 2 year grace period, and also look forward to your outstanding review when you ACTUALLY experience the hospitality, incredible horses, compelling history, and beautiful land of Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West.com.

Best regards from the Cowboy and Cowgirl Crew in Texas.