“A truly special experience for our family”

Initia Japanese Cooking Class
Ranked #9 of 61 Food & Drink in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Initia Japanese Cooking Class is a great way to learn how to make traditional Japanese dishes in English. What we teach is not fancy cuisine, but daily home style meal. We, a local family teach a small number of guests, so the atmosphere is just like cooking at home. This is not just a cooking class. We'd like our guests to have a local experience that you can't have when you just do sightseeing in Japan.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a wonderful and very special experience cooking with Taro during our stay to Kyoto. We had our family of 6 people cook Okonomiyake and it was super fun and delicious! Highly recommended. There is nothing quite like spending time with locals when you are traveling - especially folks like Taro and his mother who truly have a passion for their culture, for cooking, for travel, and for making connections with other people.

Taro Y, General Manager at Initia Japanese Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Your family is so sweet! It was a peaceful night spending time with you. We also talked about our favorite American fast food store (you must know what I'm talking about!). I feel so warm that I felt welcomed to your family even though I was the host. I wish I could spent more time with you, so let's see each other next time in Long beach:)

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"highlights"
"tea"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Taro and his mom were a super host - polite, knowledgeable and friendly. There were 5 people in the group with diverse background; we had a good conversation throughout the night. Taro also accommodated our dietary preferences which made us feel comfortable. The food was delicious! Can't wait to try the recipe again back home!

The only thing to note is that knives are used extensively to cut, chop and peel during the workshop which was not expected. A lot of involvement during the cooking process and we really learnt a lot!

Highly recommend!

1  Thank Kimmyxiao

It is very fun when we have guests from other country, we talked a lot about culture difference between us, and it was good to know! We try to let our guests to cook from the very scratch (except when it takes too much time to do that.). That way, people can physically remember the process of making and notice the differences in many ways.

If you have questions about the recipe and the directions, just e-mail us. We'll be happy to hear from you!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Taro welcomed my parents and I with such hospitability and warmth. We felt extremely comfortable in his home and very comfortable talking to him. Taro taught us so much about Japanese households and how they prepare food normally and what ingredients they use! He taught us how to make delicious Takoyaki and we ate and talked while cooking the Takoyaki which was such an interactive and incredible experience! We exchanged information about our cultures and it was just so much fun talking about each others countries and cultures! The tea and dango he served us afterwards was so tasty and he taught us about Tea Ceremonies as well. Overall a truly informative and comfortable experience with Taro. Thank you so much for having us and I look forward to seeing you again on my next stay in Kyoto!

1  Thank anghelmomiji
Taro Y, General Manager at Initia Japanese Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I want you to be relaxed like you are at home. At the same time, I try to share Japanese culture as much as possible so that I can enrich your experience and deepen your understanding about Japan, although you already knew a lot! In the class, thanks to you, we were able to make great Takoyaki, and it was a good teamwork for making takoyaki. I also liked that we taught our own culture each other. I learned a lot from you, and there were many surprising facts about Iceland! Now I'm very interested in visiting there someday!

Thank you so much for coming. Just let me know when you come back, here is your home in Kyoto. See you again!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First, we had a warmfull welcome from Taro and his mom. The evening was shared with 3 other person, which made the exchange very interesting. We cooked with Taro, some simple Japanese dishes that we can easily replicate at home. Taro and his mom shared some explanations on the Japanese food and culture. We were to eat the own food we had cooked and to concluded we spend an evening we will never forget.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

When we have a few groups of tourists in the class, it's fun to hear, compare the culture. In the class, we often discuss food culture of their countries. The other day, we were surprised how differently each country eats sushi. Even the same dish can be eaten differently when you go to the other part of the world!
I'm happy that the experience was memorable for you:) Thank you so much for the review!