US$148
Orbitz.com
Amanfayun(Hangzhou)
US$790
Agoda.com
All reviewskwee zeenwest lakethe club loungesky gardenrelation officerwalking distancerooftop barbuffet breakfastsuperb locationmemorable stayan upgradepillow menulanguage barrierbeautiful cityhefang streetshopping areahotel staff
Reviewed 4 March 2018

The hotel is nearby Westlake. The view is very good. The staff are helpful and speaks English. As the metro station is nearby you could go around the city from here. For executive room the hotel has special snacks and drink service.

Stayed: December 2017
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear Sugandha A,

Thank you for your positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

It's a pleasure to know that you has a satisfied stay in our hotel. I will share your good comments with my team.

Looking forward to see you again!

Reviewed 23 February 2018

Hangzhou. It's been called heaven....paradise, on earth. One of the many reasons why we chose to visit, for our last getaway vacation in 2017. And when our agent suggested to go west ;) , ie stay near Xihu/Westlake, this is the only 5 star hotel worth considering, especially if you're like me, never looking for the exaggerated pizzazz.

We stayed Dec 25-30, 6D5N. And as usual, prior to arrival, I was in touch with hotel staff, making various arrangements, eg transport from the airport, additional services, etc. All these were handled professionally and efficiently by staff at Reservations and Guest Experience departments, as I've expressed the same in our emails.

We came in the morning, arriving at Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport just after 1000. Clean, getting through immigration quick as wasn't busy, Christmas on the mainland usually isn't. After we met our driver, we arrived at the hotel in less than hour. As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel's exterior/façade is plain, nothing fancy to rave about. But inside is bright and feels airy, albeit the lobby area in itself being averagely cozy enough. We were offered welcome glasses of hot tea, which was a nice touch. The complimentary tea station itself is next to reception.Check in was quick, as we were escorted to our rooms on the 2/F, where the Business Centre is located as well.

We had 2x rooms, connecting, queen and twin beds. The rooms are big and spaciously designed. Beds are firm and comfortable, and I can guarantee that since I'm a light sleeper but hardly woke up in the middle of the night throughout the week's stay.
Our rooms had the sliding door option to the bathroom area. Rainshower system? Check! Lanvin toiletries, soft and fluffy towels. It's like a whole different world on the inside vs how the hotel looks on the outside. Housekeeping does a great job, whatwith how long we were there. Overall, the rooms and hotel/public/guest areas are well maintained and clean.

I noticed previous reviews about 'street noise' for those rooms facing the street/Westlake, such as ours. No, the windows are not double glazed to soundproof the room. But, the traffic outside never really got loud &or bothered us, and I think our length of stay was enough to experience on various times of the day as well, even being closer to street level from the 2nd floor. So, future guests, don't worry about noise and do reserve those rooms facing front.

Kwee Zeen, is where the buffet meals are at. Had breakfast daily, with its basic foods and then some, even vegetarian options. Theres an egg station. The restaurant is located along the side of the building, going vertically lengthwise; spacious but long. The breakfast staff during our stay were quick and attentive to guests, clearing plates, assisting with beverage orders, etc. The friendly receptionists easily remembered/acknowledged us daily, after the first day. Except for evening cocktails at the Club Lounge that one night, we didn't get the chance to try the other F&B outlets as lunch/dinner and snacks was usually us trying out the local cuisines since our trip was packed with sightseeing, even going to Shanghai, which takes a few hours by bus, so if time is not on your side, you may want to take the metro instead but a day trip is definitely doable.

The hotel location is perfect. Yes, the world famous Westlake is right outside, just across the road. She has lots to see and is huge; so huge we kinda got lost navigating our way out of it and I'm gonna have to review her separately. Nearby, literally a block from the hotel is a 24hr convenience store. Then as you walk further down, there are a few local malls in different directions for various necessities, eg a woman needing to buy clothes, personal amenities, etc because her husband lost her luggage at the airport even before getting on the plane (and although I've lost count of how many times I've said "I'm sorry", I guess without that theft, we wouldn't have gone on those walkabouts so soon, nor that far...so, "thank you, mr thief?"). But if you do need information on where to go/buy stuff, the guys at Concierge/Bell and ur Security as very helpful and knowledgeable of the neighbourhood. And regarding any language barrier between the staff and guests, even if our Cantonese was pretty much useless in this province and although my daughter's recently completed mandarin course came in handy, as long as you equip yourself with a translation app on your phone/device, communication will not be a problem.

For reference, Concierge can help to arrange tours, private hires of car, with driver, even purchasing show tickets. Guest Relations & Assistant Managers were just as helpful during ours stay, being able to be touch with them 24/7 (even thru WeChat, especially when we were out and about) made us feel safe and comfortable, having people to rely on, just in case, as first time visitors.

I really cant say much else about the hotel, except that she IS worth the cost and is exactly as advertised, with its amenities, facilities, location and service. Yes, different people have different opinions but I advise you to listen to the good ones coz they're not wrong vs isolated issues of the negative reviewers. I stayed there for a week, without regrets, and easily felt at home. Maybe I'm a simple guy, or maybe I just appreciate good but sincere customer service, which is the most important thing to consider when planning a hotel stay, in my personal opinion.

So, in closing, let me take this opportunity to say,

"Thank you for the hospitality, Anna Shi of Guest Experience, Yuna Of Guest Relations, Robin/Tim and the boys at Bell/Concierge, Ricky Tang.
And last but not least, Mr Raymond Faulkner. Thank you for everything arranged/made possible during our visit. We sincerely appreciate the efforts you and everyone put in, making our Hangzhou trip a very memorable one. God bless y'all!"

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank J A N
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Good and convenient location - east of West Lake, about 5 min. 10 min walk to the metro station. Good restaurants nearby, that serves good and cheap local food. There is one selling Hangzhou food, another Muslim noodles.

Room is large and comfortable. Amenities good and modern.

Service is good and thoughtful.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Dear yeonghaur,
Thank you for your positive review on Tripadvisor.

Your compliment on service is really encouraging us, we feel sparkled.

Looking forward to see back again.

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its location - walking distance of the beautiful west lake area and park as well as the traditional and old Chinese area filled with shopping restaurants. This is a good quality business hotel - not spectacular, but clean, nice & efficient. They offer a nice & large spread of breakfast buffet. I would be happy to stay here again

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Dear Raja R,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor .

Your comment is to the purpose, hotel terrific location is always recommended by our guests, glad to know that you agree with it, hotel has run for 14 years, still well-maintained by our team, moreover our breakfast offer is really with heart.

We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as previous one.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

It is my first time to stay at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. As the name suggests, the world-famous West Lake is just across this hotel. The hotel’s facade is old, but the interiors are kept clean which is the most important thing.

During check in, I was offered a welcome drink, apart from the welcome drink Accor members get. The check in was a breeze and the front desk officers unsurprisingly knows how to speak in English.

My room has been upgraded and I am assigned to stay at the 5th floor. This hotel has 6 floors only. My room is in between the elevator and the lounge, and offers me a partial view of the lake and surrounding areas.

The room itself is big and there is a separate toilet and bath and shower. What I probably didn’t expect was the bed to be a bit hard. I was hoping it would be softer for better comfort.

I tried to make use of the facilities and they only have sauna at the men’s changing areas. It is rather small for an upscale hotel. During my visit, the pool is under renovation.

As my room was upgraded, the room includes free breakfast at the Club Lounge. They pretty much serve anything there, the lady will provide you a menu, but cooking time may reach 20 minutes. Of course, there are fruits and breads ready at the buffet table for those who cannot wait.

If you are visiting Hangzhou for business or leisure, this hotel has probably one of the best locations downtown.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Dear Benedict U,
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Hangzhou and share a positive review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that our front office has done a warm welcome also assigned a nice room for your first stay. it is with your loyalty that we should provide such high quality of service, and it is our hope to provide to every of our customer.

We appreciate your comments and your time, looking forward to see you back again.