All reviews single room lake baikal nice hotel breakfast buffet english taxis receptionist
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

This is a clean friendly hotel located on the bus route to the airport which is within the city limits. It is within easy walking distance to downtown shopping area and the Shanghai City market. Excellent breakfast buffet and clean rooms.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

During my visit to Irkutsk I stayed at the Hotel Europa. After renovation it is still a hotel of grandeur. Staff at the counter speaks English. They were very helpful and friendly by giving all the information and assistance you needed.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

After struggling with the language barrier for 4 days to negotiate clapped-out taxis and find sustenance I was overwhelmed and instantly subdued by the quintessential European ambiance striking me as I entered classic European style reception to be greeted by a friendly English speaking lady.
My single room is small but clean and cosy and the bathroom is immaculate.
The breakfast buffet included the best coffee I've had in my 9 days in Russia with a delicious soufle style thing condecendingly titled 'omlet' and a very light yummy cheesy dumpling, rum ba-ba's and a girkin / potato salad culminating in a most interesting and tasty breakfast.
The receptionists booked a private car for me to visit 'the' lake in my quest for smoked Amul at just 400 rubles and further more in finding a repair shop for my camera. Great !
Following that perilous journey with numerous blind summits and the drivers temporary delay by the police for having tinted windows, I needed a drink and ventured to the hotels rather grubby, jaded and boring restaurant bar where they offer wine for 6000 rubles per bottle and paid an astonishing 940 rubles for two vodka martinis, stired not shaken. To re-visit the title I mention that I know I'm not James and remind the management that this isn't the Casino Royale, or even Europe; we're still in Russia!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 2 September 2016

The hotel building is nice, in Art Deco style, but not enough renewed and some decorative elements that do not fit with the its style. The room was very little but comfortable. The breakfast was good.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Marina T
Юлия Ш, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2016

Dear Marina, Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and your positive comments. On behalf of the entire team, we are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and room. We hope we get the chance to welcome you again
Best regards, manager Yuliya Shevcova

Reviewed 9 March 2016

We had booked a budget room with two twin beds, as we were not expecting to spend much time in the room, and were pleasantly surprised when we got upgraded to a double at no additional cost. We asked for a quiet room on an upper floor and our room was on the fourth out of five floors. Although our neighbors, few as they were, were quiet, I doubt if there is really a quiet room here. Sounds from parties in the restaurant, and apparently this is common, weddings and such, filtered all the way up to our room, and street noise was inescapable. But the room was clean and comfortable. Although they advertise that they speak English, I had some trouble communicating with the front desk, so left most of that to my Russian wife. Even then we had trouble getting local restaurant information. We never did have a chance to try the hotel restaurant because of private parties. Breakfast was good, my wife appreciated it more than I, with slight variations over our 4 mornings (the Olivier salad on mornings 3 & 4 was almost as good as my wife and I make), but hearty enough to get us through our days of sightseeing. WiFi worked fine for us, unlike some other reviewers, although I had trouble accessing some sites, like email. Not sure where the problem lay there, though. Location is not bad, and after we learned how the streetcar system (15 rb per trip!) works it got a whole lot more convenient. Not a bad experience.

Room tip: Get as high up as you can and hope for the best as far as noise goes.
Date of stay: March 2016