All reviews angara river soviet era across the river river view trans siberian late checkout speak excellent desk staff stay there again single room karl marx train station rail boulevard unit fridge city
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

I checked into this hotel for 2 nights after spending the previous 5 nights camping at Lake Baikal. Check in was easy (I had a reservation) and the check in agent was very friendly and helpful. My room had twin beds, which I didn’t mind, because the bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. The room was very nice, though there was no coffee maker, writing paper or pen (I’m used to those being standard but their absence wasn’t a problem for me). The bathroom was nice and clean, and shampoo, shower gel, soap and shower cap were provided, as well as disposable slippers. Breakfast was included in my booking and I had no complaints about that either. There was adequate variety to satisfy anyone, in my opinion. I also used room service (after 6 days of hiking I didn’t feel like walking even 5 steps away from the hotel to find food) and was pleased with the prompt delivery of my meal. The shop assistants in the lobby shops were also very nice, helpful and friendly. The only down note for me was that my flight was leaving late in the evening (then it was delayed for a few more hours) and I wasn’t able to get late checkout or even to pay for a room for the extra hours (I was told that there were no available rooms to accommodate this). Still, the staff kindly allowed me to leave my bag in the baggage room and I hung around the lobby for the hours until it was time to go to the airport, using the cafe and facilities there. Overall, I had a very positive experience at this hotel and wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Kristine B
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Front desk was sincere and polite, which made us felt very welcomed especially in view of our early morning arrival. Hotel accommodated our prior request to check in at 7am. Good view of the Angara River from the room. Room is rather basic but clean. While not right smack in the core of the city center, Irkutsk is a small town and walking to the hotel from 130 Kvartal took just around 15mins - not bad for an after dinner stroll.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We stayed at this hotel for one night while travelling on the rail between Moscow and Beijing.
We arrived about 6.30pm with dinner included after booking in earlier in the day and had a set dinner for 7.30pm.
Unfortunately the dinner quality was very poor and luke warm. Breakfast was similar.
we understand the hotel is being refurbished but this should not have affected the meal.
On the other hand our room was excellent and was among one of the largest rooms we had stayed in on this trip.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 15 October 2017

The hotel is at boulevard Gagarina, border with the Angara river promenade. The building itself look from the Soviet era hence has lack of beauty, also I was told it had renovated in 2006. But I guess the renovation has not reached the rooms. We had superior twin room overlooking the river which was spacious and clean. It was extremely large, twice size of normal rooms. May be it is ridiculous to complain about a large room when most of the room are very small. But it was too big I think we can play football there. At the entrance was a very wide place with wardrobe. We have lot of space (actually too much), for our entire luggage.
The room was very clean so was the shower. We had a good firm mattress and a couple of pillows that enable good sleep. They cleaned the room every day and fresh linens were provided. There was a fridge in the room and Wi-Fi.
It is not very far from the center, and since Irkutsk`s touristic part is not very big, we walked to most of those historic spots by foot. It takes about 10mins walking to Karl Marx Street, one of the mains.
Desk staff was very good and helpful, some speak excellent English, others struggled a little but we never had unsolved problem.
Breakfast was good not outstanding, but enough.
All in all it is a good value for money.

Room tip: Ask for the room with view to the river
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2017

We 2 senior citizens stayed in that hotel 4 nights in September, as a stop of our travel with the trans- siberian train. We got a twin bedded studio on the sixth floor. It was above our usual standard, we left our reserved hotel because it was not good, and it was difficult to find a free room. The unit was really large, and the view was superb, the front wall of the room was a large glassed window, facing the Angara river. But the interior of the unit, the furniture, carpet, wall decoration, were old fashioned and worn out. This unit could be a pearl, but it deserves an urgent renovation. The public areas of the hotel are renovated.Anyhow the beds were good, and so the bathroom. The reception was very helpful , the best in our east siberian tour. The lifts were good. The breakfast buffet was not rich, but good enough to be well fed.

Date of stay: September 2017