Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Matthew W
Stamford, Connecticut, United States

Exceeded my expectations - just spectacular

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 02 Oct 2022
The hotel staff were all exceptional, the personalized service we received is the best I have ever experienced. They all remembered you and your preferences so within two days the morning coffee brought to my room was creamed and sweetened to my liking, at the Marlin Bar they knew exactly what I wanted after a long day on the water. The Chef was extraordinary; evening meals were extravagant, breakfast was perfectly prepared to order, and the "boat lunches" we perfect. I have only been home 3 days and already with I could return.
Date of stay: September 2022
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded 07 Nov 2022
Dear 218mattheww,

Thank you for taking time to leave your five star review of your stay at Tropic Star Lodge. We love hearing how our staff provided an excellent and personalized service -thank you for mentioning that aspect of your trip! Thank you for also commenting on Chef Gabriel and his team's fabulous food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tropic Star Lodge for your next fishing adventure! We hope to see you again soon.

Mallory White
Restaurant
130.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
125.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
View more hotels in Pinas Bay
All reviews tropic star fish tuna panama city black marlin top notch bucket list my wife first class world class cubera snapper through customs jurassic park two days marlin bar take care local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2022

I am a booking agent by trade and my expectations can be tough. However, Tropic Star Lodge is by far the best Lodge Based fishing experience I have ever had. From start to finish, they deliver on every measurable expectation possible.

Room tip: Ask for Cheyenne when booking your stay.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2022

Dear Rebecca A,

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to leave your five star review of Tropic Star Lodge. We appreciate your comments and so happy to know that we were able to deliver on the high expectations that our guests have come to expect. We hope to see you back soon for your next fishing vacation!

Reviewed 24 August 2022

Our group from Cayman just got back from 4 days of fishing Tropic Star Lodge and were blown away by the service from the moment we touched down in Panama. The transfers, facilities, boats, room, food and of course the fishing were fantastic. Richard, Ross and Pat (along with the rest of the staff) made sure we were taken care of every step of the way. Our boat Captains Jose and Fidel and their respective crews were on point and helped us land tons of sails and dorado topped off with 4 monster marlin. Some firsts in there for our group which made it even more special. Luckily, we had Matilda on board to capture those moments of joy on camera.

We’ve all travelled extensively, and this is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth with absolute first-class standards. If you’re lucky enough to get a reservation, then jump on it. We were all sad to leave but know that we'll never forget this experience.

Special thanks to Bonnie for patiently answering all our booking questions in the 18 months leading up to this adventure.

In the meantime, we’ll try to recalibrate our expectations for the next fishing trip in our local waters!

Room tip: As a group of 6, the palace was perfect for all of us to hang out together.
1  Thank Stormdog1981
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2022

Dear Stormdog1981,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review of your recent fishing vacation to Tropic Star Lodge. We’re happy to know that our staff took great care of you as well as your crew. Congratulations on all those memorable catches especially those first catches! Glad you had Matilda on board to capture the joy and the fish. Thank you again for your kind words regarding your stay and we definitely agree with you that Tropic Star Lodge is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We hope to see you return back sometime soon for your next fishing adventure.

Reviewed 21 August 2022 via mobile

I am privileged to have fished and visited the most exotic locations in the world and this tops them all. The enthusiasm radiates from GM Richard down to those that clean your villa. The staff from the first hour of arrival knew my wife and my first names. The food is superb esp considering the remoteness (104 miles from Panama City) of the location. Our Capt put me on six Blue Marlin to 350lb, seventeen Sailfish, fifteen Dorado with two at 60lbs and two YF Tuna all in five days. We toured the local Indian village where most of lodge employees live. How interesting to see kids and families interacting and happy in spite of what some may define as sub-standard living conditions. My wife who doesn’t fish was on the boat with me each day and said at the end, the trip exceeded all of her expectations.

Room tip: Take your rain gear
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Voyager33324325390,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your phenomenal experience at Tropic Star Lodge. We are honored to know that of all the places that you have fished, that your recent trip here topped them all –thank you for the compliment. Our staff is very enthusiastic and passionate and we’re really glad to know that you felt that as well during your stay. Congratulations on your fishing. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2022 via mobile

What can I say?

Our first visit to Tropic star was magical as we celebrated my wife’s birthday at this 5 star fishing resort. From the time you land in Panama City you are in the hands of the great staff at the Lodge. They take care of every detail with a smile and ease. Ross who handles the land operation is energetic , sincere and truly works hard to make sure you love your journey. Richard runs the fishing side of the business and his captains and mates are first rate. They work very hard to get you to the fish and will take every measure to try and make it a memorable experience. The rooms are well appointed with tremendous views of the seas. We were in 1A and it was memorable. The food and bar staff are fantastic as after a long day on the water you are greeted with a cold towel and cocktail of your choice…Snacks follow which are gourmet. If you love to fish , this is the super bowl of resorts. If you are Luke warm to fishing this is not your type of place. The folks we met are all very much interested in fishing and they are there to hunt down dinosaurs. I know I am missing some of the names of the staff that touched our lives and for that I am sorry but EVERYONE was simply GREAT….. Thank you Five Star for a life’s memorable moments. I am already starting to look at my next trip….

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank thedonald7

Dear thedonald7,

Thank you for leaving your thoughtful review of your recent stay at Tropic Star Lodge. We’re so happy that you chose Tropic Star Lodge to celebrate your wife’s birthday –we had so much fun getting to share in the experience with you both. Thank you for your kind words about our dedicated staff and happy to know that Ross, Rich and the rest of the staff made a five star impression on you. We look forward to seeing you again soon to hunt down dinosaurs!

Mallory

Reviewed 20 August 2022 via mobile

Just two days into our second trip to Tropic Star after our first visit in August 2018. One of us from Pittsburgh (retired tax attorney) 2 from Punta Gorda Florida (veterinarians) and 1 from Augusta Georgia (realtor). Three of us were in the same high school wrestling team 50 years ago in Augusta.

The facilities, food, setting and staff are fantastic.

I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize the booking department, especially Cheyenne Rowe, along with Bonnie Karl and Boris Blanco.

Cheyenne answered all of my numerous questions and set us up for a nice dinner place in Panama City for our return. She was very helpful and friendly through the process! Bonnie was very helpful in the billing and invoicing and in answering a few of the forms on entry and Boris was very helpful this time and in our trip in 2018.

First fishing day was a bit slow but we did get 4 sails and one blue marlin. The crew, Vincente and Jose were very pleasant and never stopped working.

Back on land, Ross, the self proclaimed “man of the land” led a very informative behind the scene tour of the property, including in depth history of Tropic Star and a visit to the boat repair facilities.

Patterson was great in the dining room as was Noel who rescued me when I fell down outside and could not get up till he heard me and helped me. I also just met Richard’s parents visiting from South Africa and told them (as I’m sure they knew) that Richard was doing a great job on the fishing and the entire operations.

We may report back after catching some big ones but I wanted to get these comments in now.

Jim Hollingsworth with friends Mark DeGrove, Mark Stancil and Perry Ritch.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear James H,

Thank you for leaving your review of your return to paradise. We were so pleased to welcome you back to Tropic Star Lodge. We’re happy to know that your booking experience was positive and helpful. Thank you for mentioning the Lodge’s facilities, food, and staff and recognizing our employees by name. Congratulations on your fishing conquests through the week! It was great hosting you and your longtime friends for a memorable fishing vacation.