Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Norm

Exceeded all expectations

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Aug 2022
Our group from Cayman just got back from 4 days of fishing Tropic Star Lodge and were blown away by the service from the moment we touched down in Panama. The transfers, facilities, boats, room, food and of course the fishing were fantastic. Richard, Ross and Pat (along with the rest of the staff) made sure we were taken care of every step of the way. Our boat Captains Jose and Fidel and their respective crews were on point and helped us land tons of sails and dorado topped off with 4 monster marlin. Some firsts in there for our group which made it even more special. Luckily, we had Matilda on board to capture those moments of joy on camera.

We’ve all travelled extensively, and this is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth with absolute first-class standards. If you’re lucky enough to get a reservation, then jump on it. We were all sad to leave but know that we'll never forget this experience.

Special thanks to Bonnie for patiently answering all our booking questions in the 18 months leading up to this adventure.

In the meantime, we’ll try to recalibrate our expectations for the next fishing trip in our local waters!
Date of stay: August 2022
Room Tip: As a group of 6, the palace was perfect for all of us to hang out together.
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Responded 25 Aug 2022
Dear Stormdog1981,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review of your recent fishing vacation to Tropic Star Lodge. We’re happy to know that our staff took great care of you as well as your crew. Congratulations on all those memorable catches especially those first catches! Glad you had Matilda on board to capture the joy and the fish. Thank you again for your kind words regarding your stay and we definitely agree with you that Tropic Star Lodge is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We hope to see you return back sometime soon for your next fishing adventure.

All the best wishes,
Restaurant
130.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
125.7 km from Tropic Star Lodge
View more hotels in Pinas Bay
All reviews tropic star fish tuna panama city black marlin top notch bucket list my wife first class world class cubera snapper through customs jurassic park two days marlin bar take care local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 August 2022 via mobile

I am privileged to have fished and visited the most exotic locations in the world and this tops them all. The enthusiasm radiates from GM Richard down to those that clean your villa. The staff from the first hour of arrival knew my wife and my first names. The food is superb esp considering the remoteness (104 miles from Panama City) of the location. Our Capt put me on six Blue Marlin to 350lb, seventeen Sailfish, fifteen Dorado with two at 60lbs and two YF Tuna all in five days. We toured the local Indian village where most of lodge employees live. How interesting to see kids and families interacting and happy in spite of what some may define as sub-standard living conditions. My wife who doesn’t fish was on the boat with me each day and said at the end, the trip exceeded all of her expectations.

Room tip: Take your rain gear
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2022

Dear Voyager33324325390,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your phenomenal experience at Tropic Star Lodge. We are honored to know that of all the places that you have fished, that your recent trip here topped them all –thank you for the compliment. Our staff is very enthusiastic and passionate and we’re really glad to know that you felt that as well during your stay. Congratulations on your fishing. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2022 via mobile

What can I say?

Our first visit to Tropic star was magical as we celebrated my wife’s birthday at this 5 star fishing resort. From the time you land in Panama City you are in the hands of the great staff at the Lodge. They take care of every detail with a smile and ease. Ross who handles the land operation is energetic , sincere and truly works hard to make sure you love your journey. Richard runs the fishing side of the business and his captains and mates are first rate. They work very hard to get you to the fish and will take every measure to try and make it a memorable experience. The rooms are well appointed with tremendous views of the seas. We were in 1A and it was memorable. The food and bar staff are fantastic as after a long day on the water you are greeted with a cold towel and cocktail of your choice…Snacks follow which are gourmet. If you love to fish , this is the super bowl of resorts. If you are Luke warm to fishing this is not your type of place. The folks we met are all very much interested in fishing and they are there to hunt down dinosaurs. I know I am missing some of the names of the staff that touched our lives and for that I am sorry but EVERYONE was simply GREAT….. Thank you Five Star for a life’s memorable moments. I am already starting to look at my next trip….

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank thedonald7

Dear thedonald7,

Thank you for leaving your thoughtful review of your recent stay at Tropic Star Lodge. We’re so happy that you chose Tropic Star Lodge to celebrate your wife’s birthday –we had so much fun getting to share in the experience with you both. Thank you for your kind words about our dedicated staff and happy to know that Ross, Rich and the rest of the staff made a five star impression on you. We look forward to seeing you again soon to hunt down dinosaurs!

All the best wishes,
Mallory

Reviewed 20 August 2022 via mobile

Just two days into our second trip to Tropic Star after our first visit in August 2018. One of us from Pittsburgh (retired tax attorney) 2 from Punta Gorda Florida (veterinarians) and 1 from Augusta Georgia (realtor). Three of us were in the same high school wrestling team 50 years ago in Augusta.

The facilities, food, setting and staff are fantastic.

I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize the booking department, especially Cheyenne Rowe, along with Bonnie Karl and Boris Blanco.

Cheyenne answered all of my numerous questions and set us up for a nice dinner place in Panama City for our return. She was very helpful and friendly through the process! Bonnie was very helpful in the billing and invoicing and in answering a few of the forms on entry and Boris was very helpful this time and in our trip in 2018.

First fishing day was a bit slow but we did get 4 sails and one blue marlin. The crew, Vincente and Jose were very pleasant and never stopped working.

Back on land, Ross, the self proclaimed “man of the land” led a very informative behind the scene tour of the property, including in depth history of Tropic Star and a visit to the boat repair facilities.

Patterson was great in the dining room as was Noel who rescued me when I fell down outside and could not get up till he heard me and helped me. I also just met Richard’s parents visiting from South Africa and told them (as I’m sure they knew) that Richard was doing a great job on the fishing and the entire operations.

We may report back after catching some big ones but I wanted to get these comments in now.

Jim Hollingsworth with friends Mark DeGrove, Mark Stancil and Perry Ritch.

Dear James H,

Thank you for leaving your review of your return to paradise. We were so pleased to welcome you back to Tropic Star Lodge. We’re happy to know that your booking experience was positive and helpful. Thank you for mentioning the Lodge’s facilities, food, and staff and recognizing our employees by name. Congratulations on your fishing conquests through the week! It was great hosting you and your longtime friends for a memorable fishing vacation.

Reviewed 30 July 2022 via mobile

No other place on Earth offers the diversity of the species one can achieve than here.
Tropic Star Lodge is truly is a bucket list trip for the experienced angler to a beginner/rookie for offshore & inshore fishing opportunities.
Whether Billfish or Pelagics, their fishing staff will help you land a fish(s) of a lifetime!

In short there is a reason guests return on a regular basis!

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mallory White, Guest Services / Front Office at Tropic Star Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2022

Dear Offshore2022,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your five-star review of your recent visit to Tropic Star Lodge. We’re very proud of our fishery and the diversity of species that an angler has the opportunity to target in a single fishing trip. We love being part of all the fish of lifetime achievements -it’s what we live for! Thanks again and we look forward to your return to the lodge for your next fishing adventure.

Reviewed 26 July 2022

I've wanted to go to Tropic Star for about 10 years and finally pulled the trigger, along with my wife and two of my sons, this spring. After reading reviews, speaking with previous visitors, and talking with staff at the lodge I thought I had a good grasp of what to expect but it absolutely EXCEEDED all of my expectations from the moment we stepped off the plane in Panama city to the day we flew back home. The lodge was amazing, the food was amazing, the people were amazing, and the FISHING WAS AMAZING! If you've questioned taking the family on this trip DO NOT hesitate. The biggest compliment I could give is the attention they gave to my wife and sons. My wife could honestly care less about fishing but anything she or the boys could dream of, or the staff could dream of, was at their fingertips from the time we stepped onto the resort! We loved the conversations with other guests as well as all of the staff and look forward to visiting again soon!

Date of stay: May 2022

Dear meyers008,

We’re thrilled to know that your family vacation to Tropic Star Lodge exceeded your expectations. We love having families visit us and strive to always make our non-fishing guests have just as great of an experience as our fishing guests so thank you for mentioning that. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.