“Family lunch ”

Restoran Mun Choong S/B
Ranked #46 of 656 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

A pleasant restaurant and also an "old name" amongst the locals and
out of towners. Servings are generous... we had 6 dishes for 6 adults and really couldn't finish! Slightly in the salty side for our family (we tend to eat less sodium in our home cooking). The best is the soy pan fry giant "big head" prawns. Although they were generous with the salted eggs in the salted egg suit dish... but I prefer the KL style with curry leaves.

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank MinaLim_KUL

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Heard so much about the prawn so I've decided to check it out. Went for early dinner at 5.45pm and I was the only one there. I've asked for a menu, but the waitress told me there was none. She just told me to ask whatever I want XD

Then she recommended prawn stirred fried with soy sauce. And I selected a vege dish - baby bak choy with garlic.

Paid about rm 57 (no rice). So the prawn is pricy, but it was worth it.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 19 September 2016

After hearing great things about Mun Choong Restaurant in Pasir Putih, my friends and I decided to make a special trip to Ipoh to sample the food and to meet the chef of this restaurant.
We had heard that this restaurant serves excellent cantonese cuisine. More importantly Mun Choong is one of the very few restaurants who has live river-caught fresh water prawns unlike other restaurants who only have reared/farmed or frozen prawns. Incidentally, the chef is known as "Har Wong" which means "Prawn King".
During the meal, we were simply delighted by the quality of the food coupled with the chef's creativity to make every dish unique and exquisite in taste and presentation.
We had the opportunity to discuss with and share the chef's passion for the using the best quality food ingredients and produce.
This restaurant is highly recommended and it is a MUST VISIT.
The GPS for this restaurant is 4.57736, 101.08106 .

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank buditono
Reviewed 7 August 2016

This is one of the very few places in Ipoh where you can order wild-caught fresh water prawns. Even then you need to call ahead to make sure that they are available and to reserve some for you.

They cost more but is worth it. The meat is sweeter and more succulent than the farmed version. We had ours plain steamed with garlic and diced ginger. They were delicious.

Other dishes we ordered; lemon chicken, fried rice and two fired noodles were tasty.

It was a satisfying and good value for money meal.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 22 June 2016 via mobile

Went to this restaurant after reading several reviews online. I can say that the restaurant serves decent Chinese cuisine, but does not apply to all dishes. We were rather disappointed with the ginger chicken and seafood pot, but gave 2 thumbs up for the Taufoo and slice fish dishes.

Suggest to call and reserve as it may get too crowded (I went during Father's Day).

Date of visit: June 2016