“Expensive”

Tandoor Grill
Ranked #8 of 655 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 'Classic With A Modern Twist' . An Exclusive Fine Dining Restaurant which specializes in Authentic Northern Indian Cuisine.
Reviewed 7 August 2018

we were a party of about 15 matured adults. Service was good and food was fine, nothing outstanding, but the RM500 bill was higher than expected.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 14 July 2018

Visited this restaurant with my family on our one night in Ipoh as it was walking distance from the hotel and reviews were good. The ambience is nice and for a Thurs. night seemed pretty popular. Starters were unremarkable (potato patties and onion bajji) and IF I ate there again we would skip the course and go straight to mains. The crab curry, chicken and fish tikka and potato masala were delicious. That is all the 'goods' out of the way. For what amounted to over MYR 50 per head with no drinks (bar water) and no desserts, you would have thought we could have expected better service than at our local hawkers but we were to be bitterly disappointed. I don't know if it was because we dared to ask if a mocktail could be prepared without ice (it couldn't) or if we were of the wrong race (all tables with Indian clientele had two waiters attending to them) or if there was no apparent manager/owner around but the service was laughable...we were served and ate our starters...so far so good. Then sat for 20 mins with dirty plates in front of us...these were only awkwardly taken when our next course arrived. When we had finished with that, and bearing in mind there were at least 7 waiters and only 4 tables occupied by then, we waited another 20 mins then had to ask to have the table cleared and for the dessert menus (waiters were far more interested in clearing and resetting the unoccupied tables for imaginary customers). Only half the table was cleared then we were just left with the menus. No-one cleared anything, asked how the meal was or if we wanted dessert. Eventually I called a waitress over and asked her to clear the table. This was obviously beneath her and she called someone else to do it. Another wait...then when I asked for the bill having given up on ordering dessert we were queried: "Don't you want to order a dessert?" We paid and as we left 3 members of staff near the door said goodnight but no-one bothered to hold the door (bearing in mind my 81 year old mother was with us). Food 4 stars (don't bother with starters) service 1 star. Would I come back if in town again? Yes for the atmosphere and food, and just to see when a manager is in place (assuming they are sometimes) just what a difference that would make. If I was the owner of the restaurant and had observed what had taken place I would be livid...four lots of drink and four desserts not ordered due to the staff...not sure how many businesses in this day and age can afford to treat their customers with such disdain.

Date of visit: July 2018
4  Thank PompeyPenangPrincess
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Was here for lunch on a couple of occasions with local host and colleagues. The ambience is nice. The food is fresh and tasty. Although they have a lunch buffet on Friday, we went a la carte. The service is efficient. Great value for money. Among the best Indian restaurant in town.

Date of visit: July 2018
3  Thank ChivasG
Reviewed 14 July 2018

We came here all the way from the Haven resort, took about 20 mins to drive, but it was well worth it. Great food and drinks and well priced.

Date of visit: June 2018
4  Thank GeoffD395
Reviewed 11 July 2018

This is a nice place for lunch & dinner. I went with my friends and we enjoyed the food here very much.

Date of visit: March 2018