“We thought the food was good”
Review of Restoran M Salim

Restoran M Salim
Ranked #98 of 627 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: Malaysian
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Bedrock Hotel right down the street from Restoran M. Salim and decided to eat at M. Salim twice, and enjoyed every morsel.
Read some of the other reviews and our experience was totally different.
The staff was friendly, accommodating, and kept bringing us more soup (two kinds, both delicious), chapati, napkins... We like spicy hot and asked for additional sauce, the spiciest they had, and that gave the food the zing we wanted. Usually we do ask for chilies, but the sauce was fine. The chicken (tandoori) was good, still juicy. One thing we’d like is more vegetable variety, but what they offered was actually fine.
You know, the quality is very good, the price unbelievably cheap. It’s simple, good quality, inexpensive food and we appreciated it.
And the restaurant is set on a corner lot, spacious with open walls which makes it more comfortable.
Yes, we noticed someone mopping the floor at the other end, but he wasn’t near us and maybe it simply needed it.
We would definitely eat at Restoran M Salim again.

1  Thank KarenBonavita

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Highly recommended by a friend.
But......
Disappointing.....

Yes. Clean. Not very clean.

Varieties. Yes. But nothing special compared to other mamak restaurants.

Staff. A lot. And busy chatting rather than attending to customers who just walked in.
Rather rude infact, mopping the floor when one is eating. Roughly moved chairs and tables when doing so.

And..........
Cut chilli, cost you 40 sen.
When most restaurants give for free.

Not happy.
Regret and will not go there again. Ever.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Tip: order the mutton curry on a separate plate (RM6) instead of piling it on the rice, this way you get more mutton (kambing) curry and gravy for about the same price.

This store is on the same street as the more famous Nasi Ganja at Yong Suan kopitiam. While Nasi Ganja tends to sell out early (official close at 6 pm but often sells out by 4 pm), Restoran Salim opens later and is a good alternative for your nasi kandar fix.

I like the generous mix of different gravies and curries on the rice. Their mutton curry (aka kambing in Malay) dish is especially good and the curry is strong so best to have it ordered on a side plate so it doesn't overwhelm the flavours of the other curries. Marinated fried chicken is also a popular dish. For a nasi kandar dish of chicken (ayam) and salted egg plus a side plate of mutton curry I paid RM12.50 and portions were hearty for one pax.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Went for dinner with the family but regretted my decision by the end of it. Service standard is par with similar restaurants. I ordered the nasi kandar which was served in a plate too small to accommodate the meat. The food tasted bland and I lost my appetite after eating the food. However my wife had the kambing soup which was tasty. We ordered some rice and meat dishes for the kids to share. When the bill came, I was surprised and when I spread the price out, it appeared that a plate of nasi kandar without any meat (only gravy) is more expensive than the meat. I decided to give this place another try, next day morning for breakfast, and it was ok. All-in-all, I wouldn't recommend this place for either lunch or dinner but if you happen to stay at a nearby hotel then you can go here for breakfast.

2  Thank Narendran J
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Cheap and good food.
Love the fried chicken wings.
Wasn’t salty at all. Meets my tastebuds. Friendly service crew too. It’s a must try. Especially if you are staying at Bedrock hotel cos it’s just opposite the hotel. They are open daily till 12am but Fridays they are closed 1pm-2pm.

It’s a great deal if you wanna eat Indian meal! We ordered 1 plate of veg, 1 chicken wing, 1 plate of mutton curry (must try), 1 plate of chicken spare parts, rice, 3 drinks which only cost us Sing dollars 10 wow!