See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel is below standard; poorly equipped, super basic and not value for money. It is also NOT directly on the beach, so the picture is misleading. Windows (bathroom) not covered with mosquito net... Bar not open at 4pm...not even for a soda. Lack lusture service.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Checked out after my 2 nights and don't intend to ever book Silver Rock hotel again, in fact I was relieved to check out. On arrival at the hotel l inquired as to whether my booking included breakfast and got informed that it didn't despite the high charges I had payed. I felt that I had been overcharged compared to other places I had previously stayed at. The room was very basic with no style, then later found out that the 2 bathroom windows were bare and with no mosquito mesh net protection on them, exposing me to mosquitoe bites and possibly malaria as Malindi is a high risk malaria region. When I brought this to the attention of staff that I needed value for money service and piece of mind as l didn't want to gamble with my health, they sprayed my room which was okay but not good enough. I left the matter there but then later returned and requested value for money service and asked to be moved to another room, I even dared the staff to show me any other room without mosquito mesh nets on the windows. After being transferred to another room which appeared better than the previous one, l found out the new room also needed a bit of work doing so brought it to the attention of the work men when I was checking out.

Room tip: The location is within easy reach to town centre but noisy as it's next to the main road
Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Have had numerous fantastic stays here. Very nice staff, excellent rates and great value for Money.

I love the pool and the quick access to the beach. Close proximity to casuarina road makes travel within Malindi easy.

No complaints at all!! Love this place.

Room tip: The higher floors have an excellent Ocean view!!
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2017

Would not book here again. We stayed here 2 nights at a suit with sea views, 2 adults and a baby.

-They make you pay 3% more (both for accommodation and restaurant) if you are using a bank card, even if its a local card. Upon arrival we told they should be transparent in this and should put it on their website, or on Booking.com site or their welcome email. When we checked out they still had not announced it anywhere except from a poster in the reception room which was there first day. Finally we paid through mpesa.
-Not first line of the beach + Noisy due to the small road which separates the hotel and the beach, so tuktuks and motorbikes pass by even during the night
-Far from the coast restaurants area
-Breakfast is not Buffett this is why the service gets really slow. They bring you a breakfast set. First morning we came at 8am, and had to wait 50 minutes to be served, our baby got nervous. Apparently the second cook arrived late and there were 3 more tables having breakfast, so there was a delay. Really, we took scrambled eggs and sausages as the main dish which does not take 50min to cook. They recommended to advise what time we were going to have breakfast next morning and made us choose the breakfast options day before. So we had to adapt to their schedules not them to our holidays.
-No high chair for babies in the restaurant
-Very basic in terms of amenities: only one small bar of soap, no champu, no lotion, no towels at the swimming pool area, 1 bottle of water upon arrival, but not refilling it other days. This is not welcoming.
You can take the towels from the room if you want and use them in the swimming pool. I asked the manager for the champs, she told they were only providing one soap though she was eager to go and find me one. The swimming pool is not relaxing because of the tuktuks passing by just 10 meters away.
-the mattress is uncomfortable
-no bar service at the pool area, so if you want something you go to the restaurant.
-the sea views suit is located on the 4 floor. the terrace is nice but not friendly for kids.
-first hotel where we were charged baby food (except some additional stuff during the breakfast)

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Nicola B, Direttore at Silver Rock Hotel - Silversand Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Dear Juan, thank you for your review. Sorry for the the 3% for the credit card, it is a charge requested by the bank not from us. It is clearly written in the reception as you said. We also offer other and more friendly solutions of payments, like M-pesa, but we leave the option to pay by credit card for the convenience of our guests. As for the beach we have some apartments in first line very close to the beach, and the rooms in second line near the swimming pool, but still very close to the beach (less than 40 metres as well specified in our web site). Anyhow, we are one of the very few hotels in Malindi that has a private beach and we don't charge for the sunbeds. That day the cook arrived late and we apologized. We tried to minimized the wait as much as possible. We then asked at what time you preferred to have breakfast the next day only to avoid any kind of delay for the next day and make you to find everything ready. We didn't mean that you had to adapt to our schedule. On saturday and sundays there are many tuks tuks passing because the people of Malindi like to enjoy the public beach. I don't think that this should be considered as a negative point in the review, it doesn't depend on us. But consider that more and more tuk tuks are now with electric motors and don't make any noise. The tuks tuks in change offers a fast and cheap way to reach the town centre in only 5 minutes. We are working to offer a bar service at the pool area. Hope to see you again to enjoy even this new feature.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

This is a beautiful place to stay in Malindi. The swimming pool is spectacular surrounded by a wonderful park with hundreds of differents trees. The hotel has a private beach too, just on the famous Silversand beach. The rooms are very spacious and they all have a view over the swimming pool. The restaurant is very nice, not too expensive with a good variety of choice between Kenyan and international food. I would reccomend this hotel to whoever would like to have an holiday surrounded by nature.

Room tip: I would reccommend the topmost floors, or even the apartment on the beaches that are marvellous.
Date of stay: October 2016