All reviews aqua room breakfast buffet wonderful hotel summer months nice lake view would stay here again small balcony free glass of champagne comfortable beds train station good size short walk onsen etiquette wonderful japanese the hotel staff hotel restaurants top floor
Reviewed 23 September 2018

We stayed here for 1 night and I was amazed by the huge size of the room. Especially for Japan!
The balcony had a wonderful view over the lake which was especially stunning at sunrise
Bed slept very comfortable and was sooo fluffy

We had an Oumi beef dinner in the restaurant downstairs which was very good! Expensive, but worth it!
Also the breakfast buffet was elaborate with so much to chose from.

I also really enjoyed the Onsen in the hotel. Very nice to relax in before going to bed. I was the only western person there, but I know the Onsen etiquette (wash before you bathe!) and I felt very comfortable

Would stay here again, and it is only 15 minutes by train from Kyoto!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2018

Stayed in an Aqua room for one Friday night last Nov.
As it was peak Koyo season, hotel prices in Kyoto were astronomical. I had to look elsewhere for that Friday and found Biwako Hotel. 35K (dinner & breakfast inclusive) was a bargain compared to the ones in city centre!
It's only 5 min walk from Keihan Biwako Hamaotsu station. Alternatively there's a shuttle bus from/to JR Otsu station.
Aqua rooms are on the top floors with very nice lake view. Spacious, clean, there’s also a small balcony. Public onsen is fabulous.
Breakfast is very good, both western and Japanese options are plentiful. However I'm not so impressed with my dinner - there are plans that don’t include dinner and if I come back to this hotel I’ll probably book one of those.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2018

My partner and I wanted to get out of town for the weekend and decided to do a lake-side drive out to Otsu.

Biwako hotel was in a good location (next to a mall, numerous restaurants, and a short walk to the lakeside). Staff was friendly and helpful at check-in and even carried our bags up to the room for us.
Parking in the lot attached to the hotel is expensive, however the hotel will give you a free parking ticket if you present the one you got from the machine.

We got a Natura Twin room. Bed faced the large windows and walkout-able balcony. View was perfect and in the evening, you can see a colorful water display out in the lake. Room was spacious, even for two people, had a nice large bathroom, and all normal amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shavers, hairdryer, etc. Room came complete with a full-sized couch and coffee table which was nice place to relax and have a glass of wine after dinner.

Breakfast was spectacular. Running until 10am, it has a multitude of items to choose from. You can get a more western breakfast (eggs/omlelet, bacon, sausage, etc) or a more traditional Japanese breakfast (miso soup, rice, fish, veggies, etc). A variety of breads, salad items, and even ice cream was available. Food was restocked quickly and always warm. There was no fight for a table because it was set up like a restaurant buffet (we had to wait 5 minutes to get in).

Overall good experience. You can also get a pretty good discount on a hotel sponsored boat ride on Lake Biwa.

Would definitely stay there again.

Room tip: Most rooms have wall-facing beds, however the Natura Twin Room (not double) has lake-facing beds which is a really really nice touch.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The room is big with the Biwa lake view. The view is nice both night and day time. The bathroom is big. I walked along the bank of the lake in the evening to get fresh air. The restaurants were nice. I stayed for two nights and had dinner at Italian and French restaurant, the food were great with nice service.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2018

This Hotel had a great view of the lake and surrounding area and is a huge difference to the view from our last hotel in Shinjuku Tokyo. Staff were friendly and polite. It is easy to get to from the train station as there is a regular shuttle bus service, though you can walk if needed. Getting the train into Kyoto is easy also with it being only 10 minutes away by train on the Biwako line. When we stayed here there was a bug infestation in the area which was disappointing and the breakfast was very busy on each of the 3 days we stayed, the last there was a wait to even get into the restaurant. Overall it was a pleasant stay and was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle.

Date of stay: April 2018