See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 June 2017

The Hotel itself was nice and comfortable. The rooms are a bit pricey. However the service from staff was very average. No one showed us to our room and hardly anyone spoke english. We asked to turn down the central heating in the room at night because it was set too high and they refused to turn it down. We had an uncomfortable night's sleep because it was too hot and it was also spring in Japan at the time. We tried to open the windows but they were so complicated and could not be opened. Our room was also a bit noisy being located next to the train lines. We stayed here in April 2014. The good thing was the buffet breakfast in the dining area.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2017

A free bus service is available to/from the airport. If you are travelling via Osaka or Shin Osaka, this is an excellent location. From the hotel it is less than 5 minutes walk to Hineno train station. The ticket to town is not expensive (part of a JR Pass). Be warned if you are dragging a "wheel" suitcase you have to cross the railway tracks (not difficult) to get to the lift.
Staff are friendly, food excellent, beer machines on the first floor. Rooms on the small side, but ok for an overnight stay.
Name has changed and previously was known as the Best Western, Kansai.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

My friend and I just stayed one night at the hotel. The twin room is so small, maybe it was japanese style, we had slight problem on placing our bag. It was so close to train station, you can hear the sound of the train from your room. The breakfast is nice for me. But, overall is a nice stay.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2017

We stayed at Kanku Joytel Hotel for three-nights before head back to the US. The reason to stay at this hotel so that we can take the JR train to Kyoto and Osaka. This hotel is next to train station so it is convenience for us. In addition, there is a hotel shuttle to take us from Kansai airport to the hotel and back. However pickup time and drop off are not always good for all traveler. We arrive to Kansai airport around 15:00 pm but the shuttle is not available until 18:00 pm. Instead of wasting our time for the shuttle it is easier to take the direct train from Kansai airport to the Hineno train station. I would like to thanks Ms. Rikako Okada for her professional service and warm welcome us to stay at the hotel. On the way back to the airport she also got into the bus to personally say good bye to us. It was nice of her.

Room Tip: less noisy at upper floor
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

I chose this hotel as it is fairly close to the airport and has a shuttle service, I had a flight to catch at 10am so wanted to avoid an early morning trip from Kyoto to Kansas airport. After staying in a wonderful budget hotel in Kyoto I was quite disappointed by the kanku joytel. The price was good and the staff were ok but the place is really dated and showing its age. The first room I was offered stank of cigarettes so I asked to change, the hotel agreed but insisted on inspecting the smelly room first. My experience of Japan was that everyone was very honest and trusting so I was surprised to have to demonstrate that I had not used the room (I was in there for 30 seconds before heading for the lift).

The hotel is large and my floor was full of young Koreans in their 20s who were constantly shouting in the corridor and passing from room to room slamming doors (admittedly that's not the hotels fault and they did stop by midnight).

For dinner I followed the advice on other reviews and walked to the shopping mall (10 mins walk). It's a depressing place but I did find some passable food on the first floor. Walking around the backstreets alone I did not really enjoy, it's probably a safe area but I didn't feel as comfortable as I did in other places in Japan.

If I repeated the trip knowing what I know now, I would stay an extra night in Kyoto and get up early for the train.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business