Camelot Hotel
  • Pool
Ryokan
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2015

shocked how small the room is, and didnt even sleep for the whole night , bed is extremely firm, its like lying in the floor although we were extremely tired.The next day, we ask to trsansfer to a different room as the room we had is really verysmall for 2 people, no drawers, no closet, so we basically just hung out clothes everywhere..crazy..wo we were given a better room, we paid extra of course, not big but better than the first one. The bed was still firm but better..anyways after 6 days my husband has some medical issues so we need to contact our insurance , I asked the receptionist to help me call outside Japan.. The english is very poor, at the end, they have not help me at all, they have no idea ..They dont know whats the area codes,country codes, to dial outside, no idea.. Glad, I texted my friend to call Allianz for me, so Allianz will call us.. receptionist is very poor in English communication.. Not staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine L
Reviewed 19 January 2015

Great location near Yokohama station (take south exit 12) but other than that the rooms are very old and tired. My room for 1 person had 2 bed stuffed into it and I couldn't even fit my normal sized suitcase between the bed and the wall. Potential language barrier issue, I speak Japanese so I didn't have a problem but if you are unfamiliar with checking into a hotel in Japan this can be an experience here. Not worth the price in my opinion, unless your looking to relive the 80's.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed 18 December 2014

finding this hotel for the first time is a struggle.
even the JR station staff don't know where the south 12 exit is.
here is my experience, look for "dimond" basement shopping street, follow the street till the end, there is staircases and south 12 exist. if you have luggage, take the elevator beside. hotel is right next to the exit on the ground.
generally speeking, location is not bad. Yokohama station is so big, so pay special attention about the route and exit, after first time it should be easy to get to hotel.
another tip is, I found the single bed room is better and more spacious than double bed room in this hotel.
breakfast is way expensive, not recommended.
just for your reference.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mengbei
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Hotel Camelot ("Where Epicures Stay") was once a four-star business hotel -- probably in the late 1980s. It has definitely aged, but it maintains airs of respectability. And in truth it is a perfectly nice place, though its age shows: rooms are cramped, furniture and fixtures are a bit worn, and the bathrooms could use renovating. But everything is clean, the staff are pleasant (and try their best to speak English), the front desk provides 24 hour service, etc.

One way its age shows is in a lack of accessibility: the front desk and elevators are only accessible either by going up or down a half flight of stairs. There is direct accessibility from the parking garage / car entrance only. When we arrived by foot at the front entrance, we had to lug our bags down a short flight of stairs to check in. Not a big deal, but not 2000s design either.

The hotel is accessible from Yokohama train station through an underground arcade. After 11:00 pm the arcade is closed and you have to use a pedestrian overpass. You can't actually walk directly to the hotel at ground level without going a long way around, because the street the hotel is on cannot be crossed at foot at street level. The hotel is about three blocks from the train station. All amenities are in the arcade or at the train station -- including several small supermarkets.

Internet access is via ethernet cable. The hotel will rent you a personal in-room wifi router for two dollars a day. Take it. It's a good investment. The internet works well.

There is a coin-operated laundry in the basement.

All in all, the Camelot makes for a very nice budget stay, but with a (quiet, fully muffled) view of an expressway and inconvenient access it is hardly the four-star hotel it once was and aspires to be. No problems at all. But it is not super-convenient either.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sbabones
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our first visit to Japan with our family so I have nothing to compare it to being a totally different culture I don't want to compare it to what we're used to in the US. We stayed for 7 days in August. They were booked solid. It's close to the train station and huge options of food underground if you walk around and explore. (We unfortunately found the great food on our last day because we kept getting lost) Check in was quick and easy. We booked a fourth room, which was very small, I don't think it was actually a "fourth room" as we were told through email because it had 3 twin size beds and a fold out sofa for the fourth bed. So only one person could fit per bed. But in all fairness to them we knew they were booked and didn't ever say anything. The bathroom was very very small with just enough room to get out of the tub, it had a heated toilet seat and also rinsed your bottom which was a new experience for us. We couldn't get the AC on and being in August and very humid they did send someone quickly to turn it on for us since everything was in Japanese. The front desk staff and all employees were always smiling and telling us hello. The breakfast buffet was huge with a lot of variety which we enjoyed every morning. We really were only here to sleep, which the beds were a bit lumpy for me.

Room Tip: Make sure you know which room you are getting and how many it actually holds.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family