All reviews an english speaking person remember correctly japanese style room close to the train station recommend this hotel hakone yumoto station a river view room traditional japanese dinner hotel location private onsen large hotel wi fi breakfast and dinner sashimi tatami area memorable experience public bath
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel is about a 5min walk from the Hakone-Yumoto station, which is very convenient, since upon looking for possible hotels/ryokans to book in the area, it appeared most were further than a 5min stroll. The lobby area is very spacious and nice to chill at. The three of us originally arrived about an hour before check in time, so we had to wait in the lobby along with other parties who arrived there early, but I thought it was nice how the employees at least let us sit down and wait around and served us glasses of iced tea while we waited.

The room that my Mom, Aunt and I stayed at was #601. If I remember correctly, the onsen/hot springs for women was located literally right next door to our room, so it was convenient for those of us who took advantage of using the onsen (I did not, since I have a few large tattoos - unless they recently changed the policy, guests with noticeable tattoos aren't allowed in their hot springs). I asked my Mom and Aunt who used the onsen how it was like and they stated that it was wonderful. The actual room we stayed in was large, it was more than enough space for the three of us, even with the futons spread out, it was spacious. This was made partly by the fact that there was an area near the windows that had a table and chairs that was built so it was to be clearly used separately from the main tatami area. I thought the view that we saw from our room was beautiful - you could see the nearby mountains and the river, along with a bunch of different bird species, which was what I enjoyed looking at. I saw herons hanging out by the river, hawks soaring and some other small birds flying around, things I would not see in my daily life of living in a city. The windows did open so you could let some fresh air in and you could hear the sound of the river flowing (they open the windows when the employees come to set your futon and put it away), but it is definitely a good idea to keep the windows closed when it gets dark, since there were SO MANY BUGS AND SPIDERS that hung out, right on the outside of your glass window. Likely because it's right next to a river and near the mountains, but seriously, by all means, keep the windows closed when it gets dark, unless you don't mind all those bugs coming in. . . there were seriously, A LOT of them.

The food that the employees delivered to your room during breakfast and dinner was very good, I especially liked that the sashimi was served on top of a mesh rack that rested on top of a round piece of rice, this really helped to keep the fish cool and fresh tasting, since lukewarm sashimi doesn't have that same fresh tasting sensation. The food that was served was understandably different for the two nights we stayed here, but the vast majority of it was fish-related, which is pretty much typical of Japanese food. They served lobster and abalone among other dishes, during the first night and then small portions of crab legs and steak during the second night, while we were there. Breakfast was mostly veggies, seafood and fish, the only meat served was a sliver of what looked like a piece of ham/bacon on top of a salad. This is typical of a traditional Japanese breakfast - it may be strange to those not accustomed to it, but I'd say just go along with the experience of trying out different types of food while you're in Japan, you can always go back to eating American food, once you're back home in the states.

The only problem/issue that I had while I stayed here was that the door to the toilet had inadvertently locked from the inside, after my Aunt used it and when I was about to use it, the door didn't open, so I had a mild panic attic, since I obviously didn't expect for something like that to happen. Not sure if the door commonly locks by accident like that or if it was a fluke, but it was a huge inconvenience and I ended up having to rush to one of the restrooms down the hallway that the employee (who thankfully happened to be right outside of our room) directed me to. So, be careful of the door to the toilet, since it is possible (due to the locking mechanism of the door), for it to lock from the inside by accident, if you close the door all the way, upon exiting.

It's good to note that the free Wifi that's available at this hotel is only limited to use in the lobby area (as of when I stayed here in mid Sept. of 2017). Ideally, if it was available in all the guest rooms, if would've been better, especially since the hotel is kinda on the expensive side (not super expensive, but it definitely wouldn't be considered a budget friendly hotel), but at the very least, the Wifi worked fine and it was easy to connect and stay connected while you were using it, instead of other places I've stayed at in Japan where there were constant issues with even connecting. For me, it was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience to stay here at this hotel and visit Hakone, but overall, I had a positive experience here and would recommend this hotel, due to the proximity of the hotel to the train station, the level of service received by the employees, the food delivered to your room (and the quality/variety) and the size of the room itself.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Kahanalei
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Very nice place to stay and relax. It's the second time I stay in this ryokan. Nice view to the river and private onsen. Excellent meals. Gift shop has unique goods and cosmetics. Great staff as well.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night in a Japanese/western style room. It was huge. It was beautiful and so quiet. The private bath was amazing and I preferred it to the public baths although that was a good experience also. Excellent service from the hotel staff.
Dinner, kaseiki meal was amazing and delicious. So many dishes. Breakfast was good too with a lot of variety.
The hotel location is excellent close to the train station. An easy walk. Lots of nice shops along the way.
We loved staying here. It was a memorable experience. Worth the cost!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2017

It's a very good Japanese-style hotel when you're the group more than 4 people.
5minutes walk from the HAKONEYUMOTO station,
Valet parking,

箱根湯本の駅から5分の大旅館。車だと湯本の街はあっという間に通り抜けてしまうのですが、河鹿荘まで歩くと、ひとまとまりの街であることを感じます。
建物は、早川と須雲川の合流点に面して立っていて、川側の景観はとても良いです。
玄関は一番駅から遠いサイドにあり、車で到着するとてきぱきと係の方がバレーパーキングしてくれます。
少人数よりは団体旅行向けの昭和なタイプの旅館です。しかしわたくしの泊まった部屋もロビー等の施設もきれいにリニューアルされて高級感もあり、スペースも余裕があって気持ちの良い滞在でした。74室にしては大浴場もすごく広い。
構造上完全に交換は難しいはずのドアや窓もも大きくて、たぶんここは昔から高級旅館なのでしょう。従業員さんたちもとても感じがよかったです。

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ussy1
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Our river view room was delightful, tatami matting, futons, sliding panel Windows, all overlooking the swift flowing stream below. The hotel facilities were excellent, with onsite onsen and foot bathing pool, and a tastefully furnished lounge with comfortable chairs. The beautifully presented meals served by our housemaid, Miki, were especially memorable.

Room Tip: The river view rooms have a lovely outlook
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends