Reviews (2 033)
2 033 results
All reviews zambezi sun victoria falls sister hotel pool bar free entry royal livingstone next door buffet dinner hotel grounds short walk main restaurant african queen wild animals national park large pool pool side hotel guests buffet style
372 - 377 of 2 033 reviews
Reviewed 9 May 2017

It cost a fair bit for a small room with pretty basic, but tasteful facilities. Most of the amenities one would expect were in the room, other than an iron. I think it is fair to say one wouldn't really book this place on the pretence that they would be spending a huge amount of time in the room, there's too much action outside for that. It’s such a great location and facility that any issues with the place are hugely moderated by the overall experience.

Pros:
1. Location
The Victoria Falls are just a 5 minute wander from the resort, Livingstone town centre is just 10 minutes drive and there’s no issues moving about to most other tourist attractions.

2. Grounds
We saw Zebras, Giraffes, Monkeys and Impalas wandering around near our room. I woke one morning, opened the curtains to see a Zebra butt facing my way, pooing a couple of meters from my window (which was awesome!). The architecture is special and added to our experience. Wifi worked most of the time and is free.

Childrens’ activities
The daycare facility was well kitted out, so we didn’t feel too guilty leaving the kids there. Free horse rides, live band at the pool, monkeys running around everywhere and at one point we just took them for a ride in a cart to the Royal Livingstone grounds to get a different perspective.

Chef and Bar
No lack of variety or flavour. Some dishes were uniquely delicious. Crocodile Curry………delicioso! The pool bar is the place to be, staff rocked, food was delicious and the atmosphere jollied me up so much I could’ve kissed a Zebra butt!

5. Staff attitude (some)
At the front desk and at the pool bar, the service was, when the staff cared, at most times exemplary. Most staff greeted with a smile, had great manners and served to the best of their ability.

Cons:
1. Staff attitude (mostly waitstaff in the dining area)
While in many cases staff were exemplary, this was not always the case. It was strange the number of times we asked for something numerous times before receiving it, including towels for the pool, drinks forgotten at breakfast service and different answers given to the same questions. There was definitely a bit of ‘buck passing’ going on with a small number of staff. Front staff at the restaurant however were all fantastic; absolute darlings they was.

Room size
The rooms were just a little small for the furniture in them. It felt cramped in the bedroom and really, because of the layout, there was only enough space for a few pieces of small furniture other than beds. Easy solution though - go to the bar and have 10 Mosis…the room is big enough after that!

Weird things
Forks used instead of pincers for buffet dishes, cheeses left in their wrapper with a fork instead of a knife for everyone to cut it both times we went for breaky. There are some concrete boxes (possibly for reticulation) around the grounds with broken covers which could easily lead to a broken ankle and nearly did in my child’s case.

The price is pretty dear for foreigners and Avani might need to look at fixing a few of the issues up to get a better hold on their market. There’s other places around that I’ve heard from locals are gaining a reputation for being nicer alternatives and I think this may be partly due to some niggling problems that it is assumed could be solved quite easily at Avani. I stayed loyal on this occasion, having visited many years ago and wasn’t disappointed, I’m just a little worried that if they don’t do something, I might be next time.

Date of stay: April 2017
Caron c, Manager at AVANI Victoria Falls Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest

Firstly allow me to thank you for taking time to send us feedback on your stay with us via TripAdvisor, all feedback from my guests whether positive or negative is very welcoming and for this I am extremely grateful.

Wow, thank you kindly for this very descriptive and detailed feedback, i am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the wildlife and really hope you managed to get a cute photo of the zebra's behind!! My maintenance team have already been deployed to look for the broken cement boxes you refer to and the cheeses you mention have been taken from the wrapper already - I completely agree, no way to serve a cheese. Good to hear that you enjoyed the crocodile though!

Once again thank you for your feedback and we really look forward to welcoming you back to Livingstone in the near future!

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here several times before when it was Zambezi Sun. Whereas it wasn't great, it was ok for a 3star hotel and definitely better than it is now.
I was booked in a "superior room" as all standard rooms were full but I really don't know what was superior about it to validate the higher rate. It was exactly the same size and had the same facilities as a standard room save for a coffee makes and a robe in the closet. My guess is the coffee maker and the robe are what make it "superior". The toilet bowl also had brown water stains in it.
Generally, the new owners seem to have hiked the prices of EVERYTHING significantly which is unfortunate because they lost business from a lot of our conference group as most of us opted not to stay at their bar too long and to eat outside the hotel.
My biggest issue though is their change in booking/payment policy. I was always able to book and confirm my stay prior to arrival and pay at checkout. This time around, I made the booking then about today's later received an email asking if/when I had paid for my room. After inquiry into this, I was advised that their system had changed and payment was required to be made within 48 hrs of booking otherwise the reservation was automatically cancelled. I don't have an issue with this per se, my issue is/was the fact that I was not informed of this when I made the reservation. I believe this is information that a guest should be given from the get go. Anyway, I was subsequently able to secure my reservation with my card and even that I was told could possibly be rejected if the hotels accounts department questioned it.
To add to that, I was asked to pay for my stay before I could even check-in .
Needless to say, Avani was usually my second accommodation option in livingstone, it's definitely moved down to atleast 5th.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your very detailed feedback, I can promise you that each point has been noted and escalated to the various Department Heads responsible for resolving these very issues going forward, I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy staying in one of our very beautiful superior rooms which have a stunning view over the dam, where one can observe the zebra and giraffe drinking water at sunset, these rooms also offer an espresso machine, 500MB of WIFI, and express check in among other offerings like access to the gym at our sister hotel. However your feedback has really been very seriously noted and I am most grateful that you have advised us of our flaws and I am completely and utterly sorry for these inconveniences you experienced and can promise you that they will be resolved going forward
With reference to the deposits taken to guarantee bookings prior to arrival, this is standard across the company, especially during periods of high demand for accommodation in order to ensure we can attend to guests actually requiring accommodation on the resort and also guaranteeing definite business for the hotel as well.

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

The room for the accommodation was standard. My issue came with the service. It was often slow and had to always remind the waiter of my order. On one occasion during breakfast after a wait of ten minutes I had to personally collect my own juice. I wouldn't say it's spectacular, average at best.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Caron c, Manager at AVANI Victoria Falls Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the slow waiter service, I can promise you that that your feedback has been noted very seriously and I will investigate this and resolve it from my side, I completely agree with you, for this I offer you my humblest apologies for this sub-standard service.

I am however happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful holiday, I hope that you have taken many memories back home with you and we hope to see you again soon in Zambia in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The rooms are relatively cheap compare to the quality of services you are offering, i like the way you prepare food and you really give enough time even if you are not around doing other things you can still come and have a delicious food

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Minor Hotels
Caron c, Manager at AVANI Victoria Falls Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest

A warm thank you for your wonderful review, we are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us, hope that you managed to also get some well deserved rest and take some amazing photos during your stay! We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

overall my stay was quite good. The staff are warm and friendly. The food is okay. Paid for a family room and the kids really enjoyed playing around, swimming and all. i would recommend friends to stay there.
please consider rates for locals and foreigners like other hotels out there. otherwise overall ,nice place to stay.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Minor Hotels
Thank Kawanga S Dilam... K
Caron c, Manager at AVANI Victoria Falls Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you most kindly for your warm and genuine feedback, great to hear that the children had fun in the resort swimming pool, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the AVANI Victoria Falls Resort in the near future.