Flying into Livingstone Airport Zambia was great as they have just renovated the airport, a seamless, quick and easy process. You are greeted with huge african smiles and warm gestures, as they love showing off their beautiful country. A short transfer to David Livingstone Safari Lodge in a Hilux bakkie was super, you get to drive through Livingstone town and it feels like a semi private transfer if there are only a family.
At the David Livingstone Safari Lodge you are shown to your cool air-conditioned room with the refreshing welcome drink in hand and freshly cut up fruit on the table. Most of the rooms overlook the river and you have beautiful four poster beds which you can just lose yourself in.
The water is Zambia is not recommended for drinking but you do receive 2 bottles of water a day which does help. Zambia is more expensive than Zimbabwe and you are roughly looking at 3.5$ a soda and 4$ beer. They have a wonderful activity centre where you can arrange everything from your sun downer booze cruise, a casual encounter with Lions or a helicopter trip over the falls. Whatever you want in Vic Falls, they will arrange it! Vic falls has a million thrills in one destination, the activities are numerous offering special packages for all tastes of people.
The Kalai restaurant is in such a beautiful setting with awesome band entertainment most nights, but it is very pricey, so beware. If its not to your taste you can arrange a taxi to town where you will sure find a pizza place or buffet dinner to fill you up, you can even use DLSL complimentary shuttle to get there. A taxi back should be no problem and not too expensive.
The Lady Livingstone booze cruise is great fun, a good way to spend and evening with nice snacks, cold drinks, hippos, crocs and the orange sunset of Africa to keep you company. Sometimes you can see other game drinking at the rivers edge and we were lucky enough to witness a herd of elephant crossing the 500m wide river. You are then returned in time for dinner or bed.
There is a bar next door at the Zambia waterfront where you are sure to meet nationalities from all over the world, we met Canadians, New Zealanders and South Americans all marvelling in the beauty that is Africa. This is also where you meet up for your rafting, November is the best time of year to go if you looking for white water rapids. You are sure to get cooled off often by splashes of the rapids every 1km or so, beware of the half day as they trek up the gorge after is gruesome! The full day offers a cable car ride at the end and sandwiches on the river for lunch, a great way to spend a day especially in November and December..
I managed to have a look at the suites which were absolutely world class, not to sure about the price range but extremely beautiful.
The gym is one of the nicest I have seen as it looks over a fish pool and the river, absolutely stunning setting, you would have a harder time finding an photograph that beats the view from the treadmills. The gym includes a cold dip pool and a sauna which is super.
The Spa is world class. I did do 7 site inspections in the area and this spa was by far the best.
A world class lodge and absolutely suprerb service. A great holiday getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The lodge offers visitors a restaurant, bar, conference facilities, suitable to cater for large groups and the individual traveler, with a variety of safari excursions and activities in and around the falls. The lodge consists of 77 rooms, all en-suite, of which 5 are suites and 2 rooms accommodate the differently abled comfortably. All rooms look out over the Mighty Zambezi and a leisurely sun downer can be enjoyed from your private balcony. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The David Livingstone Safari Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- David Livingstone Safari Lodge And Spa
- David Livingstone Safari Hotel Livingstone