“Incredible rack of lamb”
Review of La Florida

La Florida
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Cuisine, new product development, boutique wines
Reviewed 13 August 2018

This small family run restaurant is a must visit. After visiting Colonia for many years every 90 days to renew my visa I can recommend La Florida as the best place to dine. My favorite is the rack of lamb which the owners raise on their own farm! The Malbec reduction that is served with the lamb makes even a traditionalist like me not want any mint sauce.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent gourmet food and Uruguayan wines that you can't taste in other places. A true artist of cooking with 50 years experience all over the world. A magic location. Unfogettable

Date of visit: March 2018
VILLERUA, Propietario at La Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

thanqs....thanqs.....carlos manager chef.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

tripadvisor indicated us this place nearly as the top address in Colonia to eat fish... believe me, it revealed to be something completely different for us! I booked and the reservation was taken by the friendly owner Carlos and when we arrived, I have to admit that the best table of the restaurant was waiting for us. We ordered some Sauvignon Blanc (in the list was announced Garzón (which corresponded to the price we payed) but we did only get "Brisas de Garzón" which as well is drinkable, but far from being the same) and when we ordered the second bottle we were informed that there is no more "you choose something else" - not really the option of a "top address". Anyway... my wife was lucky, she chose the "ojo de bife", the meet was good and like she likes it, even if the sauce was not really a revelation... our guest and I, we landed in the trap: Lenguado. The fish itself should not have been served, but they did it anyway. They took a fish which wasn't fresh anymore, over-fried it and put a ridiculous tomato sauce with tasteless shrimps on top and at the side was laying one slightly mashed potato in its skin. Sorry, I consider that "destroying food" or "mocking the clients". We ate a bit and let most of it stay in the plates. My wife gave to each of us a bit of her meat (it was too much anyway for her) and so we just let it go. When the owner came to ask how it was, I replied to him that "we survived his attack" and he (dam! how can one?) said: Well yes, the 'lenguado' was from before yesterday, a pity you didn't choose another fish! Thanks God killing people is a felony in Uruguay, that is the reason that Carlos is alive today... and beside that, after leaving the place and standing in the street, I was happy to see that I am still in Uruguay, because when I saw the bill, for moments I thought to be back in Switzerland. No thank you, never ever anymore, even if the place looks nice and the people were apparently nice (actually they were, until I told them that I did not like their way to do things...)

Date of visit: January 2017
3  Thank SCHERRAUS
Reviewed 17 January 2017

We discovered this amazing place completely by happy accident during a recent weeklong stay in Colonia. While out walking in the Barrio Historico, we were invited into a home of some USA expats liviing there. We told them how boring we found the food to be in Uruguay in general, and they instantly booked us for lunch the following day at La Florida! Eight of us enjoyed an absolutely stellar lunch, thanks to the owner/chef, Carlos, who apparently only opens the place when he feels like it. What an amazing culinary artist this man is! No matter what it takes, you MUST find out about La Florida while you are in Colonia!

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 6 November 2016

We went for lunch and we had an amazing time. The owner, Ana is very entertaining and helpful. We had two starters, two mains, two desserts, coffee and we really enjoyed the food even if the mussels had a cider sauce with an unusual taste, nice though. We choose the langoustines dishes but I believe they were more scamps than langoustine so we felt a bit cheated. The decor is quite unusual with a lot of vintage finds. I believe this place used to be a brothel and if you use the bathroom you will be definitely have the feeling that it was. A bit overpriced but worthy the visit.

Date of visit: November 2016