All reviews beach bar holiday village mini bar thomas cook turkey side sea view main restaurant is buffet style salad chaise longue great holiday live music evening entertainment indoor pool alcoholic drinks spa staff a la carte something for everyone
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We have just returned from the Melas Resort Hotel and slightly disappointed !

On the plus side the Hotel is clean and the HOTEL Staff were all friendly and all had good English (except the pool life guard) the people from the Spa and Hairdressers were really pushy ! and my husbands haircut and shave nearly cost him £50 if he had bought all the products the Barber kept pressing him to buy !

I contacted the hotel a few days prior to see if we could upgrade our room to a sea view as it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary holiday with our daughter and niece and nephew, I told them the reason and on arrival they said we could upgrade it cost me nearly £200 to upgrade two rooms no discount or special treats for our occasion - not even a bowl of fruit or flowers !

We have stayed in other hotels on this row over last 20years Arum, Sunrise Queen, Side Star Elegance for birthdays etc and received cakes/flowers/fruit etc...

The food is okay again not as much choice or quantity as the other hotels we have stayed in but had we not had anything to compare with then we wouldn't have been disappointed. We did eat out a few nights for a change

Just a few other things that we found different to the hotels - you have to pay to change your beach towel (all other hotels you get a clean beach towel every day FREE)
There was only about 12 comfy mats for the sun loungers around the pool which we found out from a German that you have to be there for 7am to get those OR unless you sort it with the lifeguard who saves you them and he was also saving certain guests sun beds !!! which I find disappointing.

Alcoholic drinks were limited in choice again compared to other hotels.

We were really shocked and disappointed that a friend of ours for 20 years travelled from Antalya to spend 4 hours with us as a surprise for our anniversary was told it was £40 which was not a problem we were happy to pay to be then told sorry the hotel is full !!! Again other hotels have allowed this in the past and even to stay over ! 1 person for 4 hours was it really a problem !!!!

Not sure if its the case for everyone but my niece nephew and daughter (adults) shared a room and the 3rd bed was actually the chaise longue (which was rock hard)

All the above didn't spoil our stay we love Side and will be returning but sadly probable not at the Melas there are better hotels to stay at we have found.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank tonky
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the Melas hotel 16-30th May with my partner. We are a couple in our forties and travel extensively so feel I have enough experience to draw comparisons. I have written a honest review of the place as I found it.

Firstly we had a great holiday and I don’t want to detract from that with my improvement points.

Check in was smooth. We were allocated a family room for two of us which had ample space and a separate loving area although balcony was small which didn’t bother us. The room was kept immaculate for the whole stay and air con was adequate.

The layout of the hotel is great, despite the size of the place you never seemed to be more than a few minutes from something. Tip - the pool at the hotel is quiet with few kids around during the time we was there. The pool at the holiday village is busier with music playing and regular activities. There are fridges with water in scattered around the place.The grounds are beautifully kept and a pleasure to walk round.

The location of the hotel is perfect for a half hour walk into Side harbour and what the old town offers. The glass fronted lifts around the hotel are efficient and offer the chance of views over the resort which is nice.

We didn’t take in much of the evening entertainment having seen most of the acts at various hotels previous but the outdoor disco night was worth a visit at the holiday village and the live music was of reasonable to good quality. 11:30 am is aqua aerobics time at the main pool and hearing the young lady count to 8 in German solidly for best part of an hour each day did get a bit tiring. Not sure there is the need to shout as loud as she did. It became a bit of a joke by the end of the fortnight with other couples we spoke to. The afternoon lady was much quieter.

As per previous reviews the staff make this place. 95%+ are friendly, all are hardworking in very hot temperatures and are a credit to the hotel.

When we booked this hotel through Thomas Cook it was a 5* it looks like it has been downgraded to 4.5* for this season.

I can only conclude this is around the food aspect which for us was the disappointment of the holiday. As I said I travel extensively for both work and pleasure and have stayed in many 4.5 and 5* hotels. The buffet restaurant gave me the impression they were trying to control costs. The quality of the food was fine, I never had anything cold but the variety for me was akin to a 3.5-4* based on my travel experiences. When I speak of variety I am referring to the main aspect of a meal. Usually on 5* hotels I’m deciding what meat to have with my salad as it is plentiful. At the Melas you were extremely limited to choice. One grilled/roast meat on per evening and maybe some chicken wings. Also the fruit always the same each day. Water melon grapefruit and orange cut up with select others out. We were there two week and strawberries came out on out last day. I believer they had them out on a Saturday but we were eating out. The challenge I had with the buffet is we eat late. Around 09:30 for breakfast and 20:00 for evening meal. I complained to head waiter after 4 consecutive days there was no croissants left at 09:30 and breakfast runs until 11:00. This was temporarily resolved for two days but returned back for the last few days of our holidays. We had resorted to pastries as they had problems with the cooker so only one pan on for omelettes so the queue was 10 minutes wait. This did get fixed before we left. Evening meal had its own challengers eating at 20:00 clock. On moe than one evening I had soup as a starter but there was no white bread left and wasn’t replenished despite evening meal running until 21:00. Now I know some of these points may seem trivial but when it’s one or more repeated day in day out it becomes annoying. We book 5* to avoid these issues but the attention to detail and control around the buffet was inadequate for the level of the hotel. We stopped at the sentido perissia a couple of doors up on our last visit and the buffet food was head and shoulders above the Melas. We made this statement on our second day.

In contrast to the buffet We ate at three a la carte restaurants (Western/Eastern/Turkish) all of which were excellent service and food.

We found the beach bar More relaxing for lunch as it is table service rather than buffet and you can watch the world go by.

The pool bar at the holiday village also had self service food on all afternoon and offered burgers hot dogs etc in the evening whilst entertainment was on which was a nice touch.

Overall we had a great holiday. Our only other issue was sunbed reservation. My partner went down and reserved a couple of beds around 8am. We got down after breakfast to find a German couple sat on our towels and beds. They swore they reserved them. After a heated 10 minutes in which they refused to leave we established that some guests are bribing night staff to place towels on their desired beds when the bar shuts. It transpired this had happened on the beds we reserved but it had rained during the night so the pool cleaners removed the towels around 7am only for us to then reserve at 8am. You then spent half an hour trying to get some clean towels as the towel exchange wasn’t manned despite it being opening hours and resorted in me going to reception who then tried to charge me two euros for replacing my stolen towels which I refused to pay. All of this could be avoided if the hotel enforced their own policy around sunbed reservation. Another little point on what’s missing from a 5* perspective.

Despite these niggles we had a great holiday. The hotel layout, rooms, cleanliness and people make the hotel. This could be a very good 4.5-5* hotel were I would happily return but I just felt it was missing some of the basics and would rate it as solid 4*. Would I return? If the price was in the region of similar 4* then yes but if priced as a 4.5-5* then I’d probably go elsewhere.

Any questions please feel free to ask. You

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Glenn8999
Reviewed 20 May 2018

lovely hotel greeted at reception with a welcome drink taken to my room bags brought up by consiarge lovely big double room with ocean view spacish with free access to safe :) free wifi and mini bar all included stocked with drinks to see you through day stocked up daily first thing in the morning beds made and room cleaned daily frsh towels provided daily too which is a lovely perk after a hot day at the beach the food! choices after choices with different selection each night with themed nights great choices for lunch with a pool side bbq one afternoon ,if you dont fancy coming to the main resturan you can enjoy lunch but the beach at the beach bar serving some lovely dishes pasta pizza and turkish kebabs pizza was the best :D lovely cocktails with a god choice by theend ofthe 7 days they knew what i wanted as they saw me coming lovely private beach area with lots of sun loungers with secruity which makes you feel extra safe had the best week at melas resort hotel defo going back for a week of relaxation ONLY CONs the photographer was exeremly annoying taking pics of you without asking and it was every evening hassling you as you go in to dinner A/C in room very loud and toilet fan and tv channels not in english with no subtitles unless you wanna watch the news for 7 days:/ but thats my only cons! lovely lovely staff all welcoming greeting you everytime they see you managers checking in with you and greeting you when they see you such a lovely place !

Room Tip: ask for higher floors for ocean view !
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank stephgee2018
Reviewed 29 April 2018

Large, modern room with beautiful view of the med. Food was fantastic with a variety of choice, friendly staff and great location for Side centre. Visited in late April, a good time if you want a more relaxing holiday without the crowds. Weather was perfect around 28 degrees, recommend for couples.

Room Tip: Sea view room.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank rainezaman
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

great choice of food enjoyed the ala carte restaurant food was piping hot! facilities well used especially sauna indoor pool and steam baths were great for relaxing. a special thank you to Emre, Gohkan, Emrah and Sabri(lady) for making our stay more pleasant. would recommend fixing the balcony door tho!! thanks!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank springburst
Melas_Hotels, Guest Relation at Melas Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Dear springburst,
Thank you for the time you have taken to write a comment on this page. It was a pleasure to welcome you and we are looking forward to welcome you again.
We are wishing you a good time.
With kind Regards,