“The worst meal we had in the whole month holiday!”
Review of The Green Man Pub

The Green Man Pub
Ranked #103 of 289 Restaurants in Rawai
Cuisines: Thai, International, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: English Country Pub in a tudor building on paradise island of Phuket, Thailand. Available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wine cellar, Dance Studio and children playground. And of course, FREE wifi internet and BIG screen TV for sports.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a rather unfortunate experience at The Green Man Pub. We were staying at the Chalong Chalet Resort and decided to venture out for something to eat, maybe some home comforts.
We read some good reviews about this pub, so we thought we would give it a whirl.
I have not written any reviews about anything on our holidays and there is so much I could right, but have not been able to find the time.
I felt the need to write about this place as I and my three friends were so disappointed.
The food was awful, the service was even worse, the food took a very very long time to come out and the pub was not even a quarter full.
The owner seemed far more preoccupied with putting on his pub quiz for around 12 people than the service that other punters where receiving.

I would have to say that this pub is not what it is made out to be and I would suspect that the good reviews they are getting are from expats who live in the area and are friends with the owner, making the place their local.

From my experience I would say to stay clear of this place.

I will give credit when credit is due, the building is absolutely fabulous, has a real English pub feel to it. It is very clean and authentic.

I think it is such a shame that a place with so much potential seemed to not priorities on the most important thing, which is food, drink and service.

I hope my feedback inspires the management to improve, as a brit I would love to see the place do a British Pub justice.

H1946, Owner at The Green Man Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Samuel,
We are horrified that you had a bad experience at The Green Man. Clearly we failed you. I am not sure when you came to us, obviously it was on a thursday (quiz night) when as you quite correctly noted, as quiz master, I am 100% committed to running the quiz and cannot attend to other guests.
We pride ourselves as being a genuine English Pub. Our Lamb Shanks, Fish & Chips, Cottage Pie, Steak and Guinness Pie and English Curries, to name but a few, are quite exemplary by popular acclaim. Our Thai food is aimed at local tastes and is not the usual tourist-fare so easily found anywhere.
The Green Man is not a business, it is a retirement passion, so I hate to believe that we failed so badly, and would like to understand exactly what happened.
There was a period when we had a staffing problem in service, which we have of course rectified. However, there should have been no issue with food, which is under the command of my wife, and which has never have given cause for justifiable complaint. You have correctly noted that we have predominantly 5* reviews for our food, and that this is as you say, from pretty picky regulars as well as visitors, so your experience is both worrying and a bit mystifying.
You mention that there were about 12 quizzers, and therefore this was in the Low Season when numbers are short, so we have run back through our sales over the past month, looking for a table of 4 on a Thursday, and cannot trace you. Maybe it was earlier in the year?
I would much appreciate it if you could email me on my private email digbyjohns@gmail.com and let me know when you visited and (if you can remember) what food you ordered.
I would be grateful for your feedback. We welcome constructive criticism and only wish to improve.
Kind Regards,
Howard Digby-Johns

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

We read bad reviews regarding Christmas Day but decided to look ourselves anyway.
An outstanding decision as with our first visit we enjoyed drinks and met Howard the owner.
We then took the whole family back for lunch on Sunday.
It was very good. Did you know, they offer Roast Pork, Beef, Lamb and Chicken all cooked that day fresh. And the rest of the menu looked great. Our meal took 30 minutes to come out but they brought the kids out in 10 as they didn’t want roast.
We tried a variety of the roasts as there were 4 adults and all said it was delicious.
The Guinness is very good. The building is a must see in my opinion. It is very special inside. Howard was a true Gentleman.
I would definitely recommend a visit to my friends.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

With the bad reviews did not know what to expect so went with an open mind. The pub is a gem, three stories with private dining rooms above the public bar and dining room. It has atmosphere to equal any in the UK. Howard, the publican is a great host with stories from around the world. We had the Sunday roast chicken which was huge. It did take a while for the meal to be served but there was plenty going on to keep us occupied. The pub seems to be the social centre of the area for families with a dancing class and local artisans showing their wares. Well worth a visit, don’t let the bad reviews influence you. Check their web site for what’s on.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

Amazing! Fantastic! Wonderful!
We could not believe our eyes when we found this traditional English pub in Phuket! I just had to take a photo outside. From the moment we walked up to the door we were greeted by the most adorable doggies and when we stepped inside we were met with the warmest welcome. Howard and his wife made us feel at home and made us not want to leave with all of their incredible stories. Such interesting and big hearted people.
I have to highlight the best British breakfasts that the Green Man serves up all day. We came back day after day for the huge, generous and delicious breakfasts served up with a pot of tea. My husband loved the 'Full Monty' and I ordered from the extensive tailor your own breakfast. menu So delicious and so satisfying!
We're heading back to Phuket at the end of May and we will be back to try the Sunday roast and quiz night for sure!

1  Thank SunshineAlison
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Had a very good Pork Chop here ....well cooked and a simple salad . Very fresh . Prompt service and friendly . My partner had the Pulled Pork Burger and also very good .

This place has a very good atmosphere and the Salsa Classes on a Friday and Tuesday evening are well worth while . Great fun and unique to Phuket .