See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 May 2015

We are new to So-Hi campground, having left another campground for a place that knew how to treat their customers.

Our camper's electric cord was 2 feet short of the electric meter. Ralph (the owner) and Ray (the groundskeeper) told me to go to Camper World and grab a longer one and to give them the bill.

I did that and handed Ralph the bill (he looked for me) and within 20 minutes he drove by with the money for the cord and we were up and running.

Also, the bath facilities are very clean, and the hot water was steaming and refreshing after a hard days work of setting up for the season.

That's how you take care of customers.

I recommend this campground!!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian F
Reviewed 8 August 2014

So-Hi Campgrounds hasn't had the best reputation in the last couple of years. I read some scary reviews from campers past, and was hesitant to check it out myself. My wife and I were getting a few friends together to go camping, and needed to find a good place. She had camped there about 15 years ago with her family, and remembered it being wonderful, so we went to take a look at it.

When we first arrived, it was obvious that there were some renovations in progress, which is always a good sign. The swimming pool looked clean and inviting, there were some pedal boats on the man-made lake, and the grounds were tidy.

We pulled up to the office, and a friendly gentleman named Ralph came out to greet us. He turned out to be the new owner of the campground, and asked us what we were looking for in terms of accommodations. He let us know that he had acquired So-Hi about a year ago, and that it wasn't much when he got it. He went on to inform us that all of the bathroom fixtures were replaced, new ones were even built, and that they were always doing upkeep on the grounds.

We told him that we were looking for a good spot that could accommodate 8-10 campers that may be up into the wee hours of the morning and who might be too loud to be near other campers. Our main issue with the 10+ campgrounds we toured prior was that the tent sites were too close, and we are a good-natured bunch of adults who didn't want to bother anyone around us. Ralph heard us out, and suggested Pine Cone Alley, a cluster of tent sites far removed from the other tent sites and the RV park. He told us that for 10 campers, we would need about 3 sites, and that he would not have an issue putting us there for $30/night per site. We thanked him, and left to tour the spot...it turned out to be perfect!

Throughout the next couple of weeks, I kept in contact with Ralph regarding our needs. I let him know the final head count (8) and that we would need only 2 sites for 2 nights now. He was friendly and helpful the entire time, answering all of our questions as quickly as we could ask them. Before we knew it, the day of our camping trip arrived!

The whole trip was sunny and perfect, we couldn't have asked for better weather. The sun really made the campground shine! We took T16 & T17, at the very back of Pine Cone Alley. We fit 2 tents on each site with plenty of room to spare, especially considering each site had one cabin style tent on it. There are true fire rings, unlike the DEC campgrounds around here. There are even rims with grills to set camp cookware on over the fire, which was a nice touch!

The sites are covered in jutting tree roots, but as long as you have an air mattress, you will be fine. The tents all went up easily regardless, and it was as close to camping in the woods (with flush toilets and bathrooms at the entrance anyway) as you could get. There are strong trees close enough to suspend a hammock, which we did. These sites are probably the best in the entire campground, but they all look pretty good!

The firewood we got at a steal. We started a teepee fire with the sticks and kindling around us as we waited for the firewood to arrive. The manager of the campground pulled up in his truck, and sold us a whole lot of firewood for $5. $5! It may not always be this cheap, they have to turn a profit you know, but other campgrounds charge $10-15 for the load we got!

At night, a couple of groups came in and set up camp nearer to the entrance. They all seemed to have the same fun-loving spirit that we did, so I hope we didn't bother them. They didn't bother us, anyway.

The next day, we checked out the swimming pool and the arcade. The swimming pool was super clean, and great fun. The arcade was fully operational, and complete with a pinball machine, which I love. We went out on the pedal boats too, those were a good leg workout for sure. Between us all, I think all of the bathrooms got used, and a couple of the showers. Everything is new and kept sparkling clean. Let's be fair, camp facilities don't have the best reputation for a reason...but these are not your average camp facilities!

I know this is a long review, but I really believe in this campground. I want everyone to go check it out and enjoy it, because I'm sad I ever left! We all had the best time, even one of our friends who had never been camping before, and she got to start with such a fantastic experience. The staff is all friendly and not at all obtrusive, and the grounds are beautiful. I have wanted to go back every day since we left, but I know that we will be back next season...hopefully more than once! I would heartily recommend So-Hi Campgrounds to all campers, and wish Ralph the best of luck with his new property.

Room Tip: For tent campers, Pine Cone Alley is the best camping experience. It is on the map on the website!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends