“Best Activity in Bali”

Ranked #1 of 139 things to do in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In this unusual place of worship, mischievous simians throng among sacred temples and lush greenery.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hands down the best thing that we did while we were in Bali.

We went to the Monkey Forest during our day tour of Ubud (aka we went with a guide) which I would highly recommend as they can take care of everything for you from getting the tickets to buying the bananas from the vendors and taking pictures of you while you enjoy yourself surrounded by monkeys.

If you're wary of getting that close to wildlife, don't be. To be honest, this was the one part of the tour that I was not excited for (I thought I didn't like monkeys), but getting there and seeing all of the monkeys running around and getting to feed them was AMAZING.

The monkeys in this forest (unlike the monkeys at Uluwatu Temple) are well fed and used to human interaction so they shouldn't give you much trouble at all. As long as you follow the rules that are clearly laid out at visitor's center at the entrance, you should be fine. A big no-no that I watched happen was people trying to touch the monkeys, especially if they jumped onto them or if they tried to steal sunglasses. There are staff members all around so there's no reason to worry about your belongings getting too far away from you and the monkeys are much more interested in food than in you.

Note that when feeding the monkeys, they will jump onto you and climb up your body/pull on your clothing to get all the way up to the banana you're holding above your head. You don't get to choose which monkey climbs on you or how long they'll stay sitting on your shoulder/arm/head for. While I was able to walk around for a while with every monkey that jumped up on me, my friend only had one of three stay on her shoulder for longer than 20 seconds. So it's good to have a camera ready as soon as you present that banana. Also bring a change of clothes or be ready to walk around for the rest of the day with smears of banana all over you.

Like I said, this was my favorite activity we did all week while we were in Bali and don't miss out on the chance to have a monkey climb up on you to eat a banana.

1  Thank Jacqueline S
Write a ReviewReviews (26 681)
All reviews
"aggressive"
in 2 291 reviews

188 - 192 of 26 685 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

How can you put a price on seeing .. interacting with and feeding monkeys?? For $5. American... you have as much time as you want to roam this beautiful forest. It's beyond amazing!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If you are walking with food or bags, monkeys try to snatch them. Please be careful when they come close. But they are basically human friendly and do not harm the visitors.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The most amazing part o this forest is how huge it can be in the middle of this city, with it's own rivers and waterfalls and the monkey colonies going around.

Monkeys are as funny as clever, so careful with them! they love to steal plastic bags and bottles, and sometimes they just think your head is the right place to eat a banana. It is a different and funny experience to do in Ubud, and I think, a compulsory one. The entrance fee is just 25000 rp, what is nothing for tourists and you can spend there as long as you like, but one hour and half is more than enough.