“Yummy Woodfired Pizza”

Spaccanapoli di Ubud
Ranked #266 of 811 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Step into the cozy dining room of Spaccanapoli, and you immediately feel at ease, as the walls are painted in warm tones, comfy cushions adorn the chairs, and magazines and newspapers rest on nearly every table. Grab a seat at one of the wooden tables under black and white photographs of famous Italian actors, and peruse the extensive menu, which features traditional Italian dishes that you won't find in other run-of-the-mill Italian places in Ubud. Got questions? Not to fear-Napoli-born owner Piero and his wife Enung are always on hand to assist or simply engage you in warm and welcoming conversation. The food at Spaccanapoli has its roots in Southern Italian cuisine, so the menu features plenty of handmade pastas, wood-fired pizzas and vibrant dishes with fresh seafood, herbs and vegetables. Start your meal with the light Insalata di Polpo for tender chunks of octopus marinated in olive oil, lemon, parsley and garlic, or sample the Crocchete di Patate, which are crispy and golden on the outside and smooth and creamy with potato, mozzarella and ham on the inside. Once your appetite has been whetted, move on to the Gnocchi a'la Spaccanapoli with bacon, mushroom, zucchini, basil and cream, or the Penne e' Siciliana with fried eggplant, house made tomato sauce and fresh basil. All of the dishes at Spaccanapoli are bursting with flavor, however, their true strength lies in the pizzas, which are made from scratch with fresh ingredients and cooked in an authentic wood-fired pizza oven. Favorites include the Vesuvius with tomato sauce, mozzarella, olives, pepperoni, Napoli chili oil and basil, or the Positano with a white base, mozzarella, provolone, rocket, shaved parmigiano and olive oil. Craving authentic Italian but don't want to go out? Lucky for you, they do delivery too.
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Great restaurant. Friendly staff. Excellent wood fired pizzas and delicious pasta. Have eaten here a number of times. Always great.

1  Thank Melinda M

Reviewed 26 February 2017

I visited twice to Spaccanapoli - first time I enjoyed the fungi and spinach pasta, although I thought the portion size was small for a pasta dish and price was on the high side...so not great value for money...but flavour was nice.

Second visit I went to try the pizza and took a friend with very discerning taste buds. I ordered a Vespa pizza which had four toppings - spinach feta, capsicum, mozzarella..I asked to swap the feta for mushroom as I wanted a fungi pizza but there was none on the menu....so when the pizza arrived it came with many extra vegetables....boiled carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini....none of which were mentioned in the description on the menu....I called the waitress over and she explained these were disclosed because they had mentioned "seasoned veg." in the menu.....so I said OK let's see...but basically all I could taste was boiled vegetable..

I was very surprised and embarrassed because this place is owned by an Italian guy and I expected something more like the taste from iTaly and not the taste of boilded vegetables... the staff were not that concerned about the situation, and never came back to ask how the food was after my first comments about the extra boiled vegetables...so....I cannot recommend aa a genuine Italian flavour for pizza.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Came here multiple times over the 5 days we were in Ubud and we're consistently impressed with the food quality.
Not sure why Pizza Bagus gets all the fame because this place is right next door and is 100X better

1  Thank Arielle K
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

I am a backpacker, so expect very little out of a meal. The bruschetta was tasteless and dry. The main was edible, but I ordered fries and the waiter decided to not tell me I couldn't have them with this particular meal, until my food actually came, even as a side extra? The home made apple pie for dessert was again, by far, the worst apple pie i've ever eaten, if not the worst dessert i've ever eaten...and i'm English, i've eaten a lot of apple pie haha! It was again, tasteless and so dry, I had to wash it down with water. The ice cream, was filled with ice it was crunchy. Maybe I picked the wrong things on the menu, because everyone elses food looked good, but for me, it was the most expensive meal I have had in Bali, at 160,000 rupiah (and I've eaten out everyday), yet it was by far the worst meal i've had since being here. To top it off, the waiter couldn't seem to get the right figure of payment, even though she had a calculator.

Not usually one to write reviews, but I felt this needed to be said. By all means, everyone has different experiences, but be careful if you choose to eat here and expect to be charged a premium price by bali standards, for food that is extremely dissappointing.

There are many other places in Bali, that offer cheaper food, that is much more tasty! Enjoy!

Piero_PS, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Spaccanapoli di Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

sorry but you are so wrong to write down a fake review just because you want put in bad light spaccanapoli, yes i know very well from where coming a review like that, no one people in the last 2 weeks complain like that and the others before also are always made from the comptition, come on evryones undrstand , all ours customers they know the truth, they been here and they know very well review like that are so fake and write just for put off spaccanapoli.... please be sportive and accept what everyones know very well,,, the only rea authentic souther italy restaurant is spaccanapoli... no one more.. i really like one day to make a laboratory test of the authenticity of the italian pruducts we used compare with the others restaurant...

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had the eggplant gratin, pasta carbonara and pasta with mushrooms and vegetables. The carbonara were ok but not great (very dry) and the home made pasta with mushrooms tasted horrible, like damped rotted pasta. It was not good and the veggies and mushrooms didn't make up for it. The eggplant gratin was heated in the microwave and disgusting. we asked for extra parmesan, which we were charged for. On top of all that, the service was extremely slow! we waited for more than 30 min while we were the only one to order (2 other tables had their food already).

Piero_PS, Direttore at Spaccanapoli di Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2017

we never served eggplant gratin... and we dont served pasta mushroom and vegetables... sorry like other review few days ago look like not happy of my answer and continue to write not true review .damped rotted pasta ???? mmmhhh of course is not our place... maby in the same place i tell your friend in the other review ...come on everyones know who is the only authentic italian restaurant in Ubud.... just spaccanapoli no more... look the review of the real italians and non but expert of italian food... they never go eat at a place just because more cheap then us... of course more cheap that means different ingredients , different mix, and so many more fake products.... try to come inside the spaccanapoli kitchen is free to anyones thats why we dont have door and we have a windows to.. for make peoples feel like at home and trust 100% spaccanapoli. The others have hide anythings... or if you see what they cooked for you , then you will never back there anymore... please... ma mi faccia il favore... look Toto' is a great neapolitan acotors and poet...every italian know him... but if you ask at others italians restaurant in ubud they dont know him... like you are chinese of course dont know.. imagine them where from>>> thanks anyway and come i offer a plate of pasta ...but if you ask me extra parmesan sorry you mustly pay for it... because is not local cheddar like in others place... and is so expensive in italy , imagine to imported in indonesia... spaccanapoli is a businees not Italian Red Cross give food to the poor peoples, we really like to do that but at moment not yet ... price we charge a small extra of parmesan is just 0,25 usd is expensive for you??