“Heaven on earth”
other travellers have booked this property
Swallow Guesthouse entrance for 3 suites Swallow Guesthouse shared pool
Swallow Guesthouse shared pool
SUNSET Suite
View of pool from Upstairs bedroom SUNSET Suite
Terrace view for SUNSET Suite
Surrounded by rice fields and sunshine!
Wayan, your hosts, welcomes you to Swallow Guesthouse
Private terrace for SUNSET Suite with pool view
Dining area for SUNSET Suite
Entrance way past SUNRISE Suite
Entrance to Sunset Suite
Room #1 of SUNSET Suite downstairs with queen bed and storage area
Writing desk made from rattan and coconut wood
Sunset front hallway with books to read. Bathroom at bottom of stairs.
Stair view to bathroom
View of hallway from stairs to upstairs deluxe open room
Writing desk for upstairs SUNSET Suite bedroom
Queen bed and single bed in large open space
Hand-made furniture supports local craft makers
Sundeck for reading or massage!
Large folding doors, keep open at night for surround breeze.  No worries about mosquitoes!
Nyoman the masseuse
Single bed for child or spare lounging area
View from single bed
Hand carved wooden doors in bathroom entrance
Hand made with care and love at Swallow Guesthouse in the REAL Karma Bali
Character fixtures
Eating area and outdoor relaxation seats 6-8 people
View of Sunset Suite from shared pool
Two story, two bedroom, support.deck and eating patio. Shared pool and kitchen. Meals & Van availabl
Pathway between Sunrise and Sunset Suites
Kitchen tea and coffee
Gourmet meals prepared  by Putri
Mt. Agung view to the north
Your hosts, Putri and Wayan...6 years ago! we have enjoyed hundreds of guests since 2009!
View on rice field walk.  Many paths to choose from.
Your hosts Wayan and Putri will guide you to ceremony at temple
Ganesha welcomes you at entrance to Swallow Guesthouse
Your Welcome Home Drink!
Map to Swallowhouse.  Follow the signs to Villa Ubud or use Google Maps.
Village organic project
Local smiles
Watching the Orangic Ducks in the rice fields
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

zee1959
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

What an amazing, peaceful home. Wayan and Putri were awesome hosts. Wayan our driver and tour guide and Putri, 5 star culinary skills.
I would recommend Swallow House to anyone who truly wants to 'get away from it all'
and who want to experience 'the real Bali away from tourist mecca'
Hope to see you both again one day
Paulette and Eileen

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: lying in bed listening to music from the temple
Liked least: can't think of anything I didn't like
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
SylviaC48
Calgary, Canada
“Heavenly”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

Suzan, Wyan and Putri are the most kind and helpful hosts. Wyan was concerned to make every detail of our trip perfect. We were so grateful to come home to Putri's amazing cooking.
Looking forward to our return to the peaceful rice fields and the friendly village.

How helpful were the directions to the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The kindness of the hosts
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
liz-b b
London, Canada
“Great Times in Bali!!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

I spent 2 weeks at Swallow Guest House. The food was wonderful, company fabulous, touring interesting! I got to see a side of Bali that included local customs as well as a bit of touristy stuff. Swallow Guest House is beautiful, in a beautiful part of Bali. Meeting the neighbours added to the interest in Bali.
Putri took excellent care of me, feeding me great meals. I wish I could go back and get some lessons from her. Meeting Putri's and Wayon's family was great fun.
When you go, take a look at the Cooperative farm nearby. It's good to see positive movements in another society.
Liz Bailey
Canadian living in Cheongju South Korea.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Liked best: The food and the time around.
Liked least: Nothing, actually.
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
2NO-mad
New York
“Very mixed feelings”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

After looking at all reviews here, it seems to me that people have chosen to omit some facts about the Swallow Guesthouse, except one reviewer who wrote in French and very frankly, I have to admit. I understand why. You leave the Swallow with very mixed feelings, trying to understand what exactly happened. And you want to help Wayan and Putri who have been good hosts and tried to make us feel comfortable and welcome. So, I'll try to be as pragmatic as possible and give you the facts:

1. We were informed by Suzan through email that there had been a double booking for the Sunset suite only a few days prior to our arrival. The other couple had small children and we thought we could manage in a room with only one child, so we accepted staying in Sunrise suite which is basically just one room.
2. The Sunrise suite is not that great. There is enough space for the 2 beds, but it was not made with the same care as the Sunset guesthouse. It is a dark room on the first floor and it faces the kitchen and entrance to the guesthouse, so basically no privacy. The bathroom is a rectangle with a toilette and a shower just beside it, no bathroom sink and the toilette gets wet every time the shower is turned on, so every trip to it will make your bum wet ;) There is a kitchen sink in another little room beside the bathroom, quite inconvenient. I'd say the Sunrise is a bit awkward in the way it was built and not charming at all.
3. The Sunset suite is basically a villa with a room and large, nice bathroom on the first floor with the top floor being one open space with balcony. We stayed there our last 2 nights after the other family left and it was much better than staying at the Sunrise. The guesthouse is tastefully decorated with Wayan's carvings and ideas and it is breezy, bright and fresh. It also allows for privacy, since it faces the back and it is no passage to anyone.
4. It is absolutely true that the bed mattresses are of the worst quality. Let me emphasise that this is not a matter of taste for soft or firm mattresses. You can feel the springs poking your ribs when lying on your stomach and the mattress will make your whole body contorted. We mentioned this to Wayan, but seeing that the last review that mentioned this issue was apparently on Nov 2013, I don't see that Suzan plans on changing them. I don't understand why other people here did not mention the bad spring mattresses. I think that a good sleep is utmost to a good vacation. I ended up sleeping on my daughter's mattress, which was nice and firm and only then my back pain went away.
5. Because of our accidental double booking, despite that the other couple had booked on October of 2013 and us on Feb 2014, Suzan offered us one night without charge and free transportation to the airport. Also, we were told that we were "invited" to dine with Wayan, Putri and their family on the night before Nyepi. Only after arriving we found out we had to pay for this invitation. We don't mind paying for anything, but it felt wrong to charge us something under the pretext of an invitation. We naturally thought the "invitation" was part of an apology for the mixed up booking. We had fun seeing Wayan's house, but he was the only who sat to eat with us. Later he took us to see the Ogo Ogo in his village and it was nice to see how the locals celebrate.
6. Swallow is literally in the middle of rice fields and under the hot sun. There is no shade, except when you are under the cover of the house. The sun is hot from early in the morning and though it is nice to see and photograph the people at work in the fields, there is not much else to do, unless you plan on working on some book writing or paintings, etc. You are about 20 min from Ubud and dependent on some form of transportation. It costs about 20 USD for a round trip to town. Basically, you end up having to take tours to keep yourself or children busy. We had to take tours or go to town to keep our 8-year old entertained, but luckily there were other 2 children for the first days with us and they played well.
7. The highlight of Swallow Guesthouse is Putri's food. She is truly a great cook and it is worth it trying some of her dishes. The food is a little more expensive than what you can find in the city, but still quite reasonable for international standards. We did not mind paying for it.
8. Another reason for leaving the house often is that one of the rice fields has some sort of metal wind mills that make noise as they turn with the wind. It sounds as if someone is banging on a metal pot with a wooden spoon and it is really loud. Wayan told us that it is for scaring the birds and said he would talk to the field owner about it. On Nyepi day we were obliged to stay at the house the whole day and the noise was incessant. It really drove us crazy to the point that we could not even read anymore. There is also a house construction at the back, but machinery was turned on only a few times during our last day when we were at the house.
9. There is no Wi-Fi, but it is possible to pay a fee to have a connector stick for Android, apparently. We had iPhones, so no internet for us. But we didn't care, since what we wanted was to relax, away from technology.

Overall, we tried to have fun at Swallow and take things lightly and some people might be more or less bothered by how things are set up there. The experience was interesting and we feel no regrets, but if you ask me if I'd recommend this place to a friend or whether I'd go back, I'd be leaning towards a "no." We felt that the way Suzan advertises the place is not really what it actually is. Swallow Guesthouse is really set up in a way that you feel compelled to spend more and move more than you thought. I was under the impression that there would be lots to do about learning how the community works, how they benefit from the house and participating of their activities. There was very little or none of it. But I must say that Wayan is very knowledgeable about everything around and our conversations were very interesting.

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Putri's wonderful food
Liked least: Poor mattresses and lack of clarity
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
7 Apr 2014
Paula, thanks very much for your very informative reply sharing your experience at Swallow Guesthouse. I appreciate the input and have talked with Wayan and Putri already about what we can do to improve the experiences of our guests.

Regarding your concerns: I have asked previous SUNRISE guests about the condition of the bed, they all said it was good. I will, myself, have a few sleeps on it to confirm. The new single bed was made with care just for your daughter once you decided to stay in the SUNRISE SUITE. I’m glad it was enjoyed. The clanging noise is part of the farming community to help steer away the birds from the rice. It wouldn’t be appropriate to ask them to remove it. Your experience to share in the families New Year ceremony with dinner was offered as a tour activity and standard tour guide f ees were charged. I’m sorry if I was misrepresenting it to you and it is not a common activity in Bali for everyone to sit down and eat together. They eat when they are hungry and finished working in the fields. If there are more concerns regarding this, please email me directly.

You were asking to know how we are helping the community. I’m a little confused by this as you brought clothing and school supplies to distribute during your stay. Wayan mentioned that the school kids sang for you? This must have been exciting! As an experienced English teacher, I have volunteered my time at the Yayasan bamboo classroom and also at neighbours who teaches in her home.

The following is a brief description of how we are further assisting the community of Pesalakan and the rural community of Munduk. I have added this to the description of the Swallow Guesthouse so others may understand how donations from guests and funding from our operation is used. I will also post photos and perhaps if you took some, you would like to offer them as well?

ECO TOURISM:

“We are a GREEN GUESTHOUSE and hope you share in respecting the environment too. Ask Putri about our 'Karma Yoga' program to help the community protect the “Sawa” from the plastic in the waterways.

Swallow Guesthouse is trying to educate the Pesalakan locals about the harmful effects of plastic in the environment. By working with Bali Recycling (http://www.eco-bali.com/), we bought and placed two red metal bins in the Simantri or by the warung (small food shop) in the village and monthly provide the funding for non-organic waste removal.

We also distribute clothing and school supplies to rural communities in Bali. One such community is Munduk where we are assisting Rainbowbend (http://www.lingkarpelangi.com)

We truly aim to assist in community sustainability and environmental stewardship.”

I did want to point out that we made a lot of concession to accommodate you after realizing we were double booked. In the 6 years we have been a guesthouse, this is the first time it has happened. Both Wayan and I had searched the Pejeng area for similar locations but because of the Nyepi holiday, didn't find anything suitable. We were pleased that you decided to accept the smaller room and pay a reduced amount to cover the expenses of your stay.

Terima kasih,
Wayan, Putri and Suzan
Reviewed 30 November 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing